Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant get these songs out of my head for the past 5 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewhale View Post
    [serotonin video]
    Respects.
    <3. Thanks!

Gives a special feeling to see someone else put it here.

10+ Year Old Account

Three songs from Cathedral. Love this band.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    hahaha that's awesome. Here's another metal related funny pic (not a meme) that I found recently, thought you guys might like it: http://i.imgur.com/oPITy.jpg
    Its so true, kinda reminds me how I understand the vocals of certain bands, but most non-metal fans don't.

also,

Mostly applies to funeral doom/doom metal.

Deleted
    @rederoin

Maybe I can interest you in one of these?

Deleted

Can somebody suggest to me something similar to this? I've been listening to these guys now for a year or so and their old stuff, from the 90s and early 2000s, is just freaking amazing to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Rush, Vanden Plas, Racer X, Spock's Beard, Spastic Ink, Watchtower, Leprous.

I don't get it when people don't get metal

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy in the rate the song above you topic, the song he was rating was by Obscura
    0.5/10 I cannot understand how it is possible to listen to metal where all you hear is a loud grumby tone and no notes. You cannot understand a word they say, the guitar player is the only thing slightly redeemable about it. No offense to people who like metal, but seriously there are reasons why it's nearly a dead genre. Also I don't mind metal if they use the screaming affect a couple of times but not the entire song, sort of like growling in music.
    Also, my brother just told me I must have been dropped on my head as a baby or something and doesn't beleive that I actually enjoy The Black Dahlia Murder, at least not the vocals he said (In my opinion TBDM has some of the best vocals in all of extreme metal)

I don't get how other people don't get metal

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post

I don't get how other people don't get metal
    Really? I can definitely understand why people don't get metal. I used to absolutely hate harsh/growled/screamed vocals, but I progressively expanded my metal horizon once I realized how much was yet to be discovered. Eventually that kind of singing just becomes normal to metalheads, atleast for me, and shifted from simply accepting harsh vocals to loving them over time.

People that have no desire to listen to metal will never understand why others like it. Also when you grow up and you'are only exposed to mainstream stuff with "normal" vocals on the radio and such, I think you sort of have to train yourself to like metal.
    Last edited by Kreyzor; 2012-05-12 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    Really? I can definitely understand why people don't get metal. I used to absolutely hate harsh/growled/screamed vocals, but I progressively expanded my metal horizon once I realized how much was yet to be discovered. Eventually that kind of singing just becomes normal to metalheads, atleast for me, and shifted from simply accepting harsh vocals to loving them over time.

People that have no desire to listen to metal will never understand why others like it. Also when you grow up and you'are only exposed to mainstream stuff with "normal" vocals on the radio and such, I think you sort of have to train yourself to like metal.
    Nah, I remember my 1st encounters with harsh vocals metal. It was this

And I did not need special self training to like it, I simply did like it, it was (is) just exciting to me in the 1st place

It might just be me then. I literally went through a nearly year long period when I first started listening to metal to start liking harsh vocals. I blame Metallica...

Also I want to say my first encounter with harsh vocals was early Kreator (if you can even call them that). Did not like them, but over time grew to love them.

Ah yes
    Last edited by Kreyzor; 2012-05-13 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    It might just be me then. I literally went through a nearly year long period when I first started listening to metal to start liking harsh vocals. I blame Metallica...
    Well I donno, like I was saying I did just like As I Lay dying (Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, etc) off the bat. I didn't reject it because of the harsh vocals at the very least. But I did still rather they had clean vocals, at least mixed in.

I was really big into bands that traded between screaming and singing at 1st. Like Underoath & Atreyu

But eventually it did grow on me to the point where I'm 110% fine with vocals being nothing but screaming the whole time. I even scream along with the stuff now if I'm driving alone :P

I mean I think what I don't get is how people reject it completely because of the vocals, and just continue to reject it their whole lives, you can't resist the metal dammit!!!! :P

I'll agree it's a somewhat aquired taste.

I mean, some people can just drink coffee for the 1st time and tolerate it, but then they still grow to love it for instance. Where as other people try coffee, think it's terrible and quit giving it chances

I mean I think what I don't get is how people reject it completely because of the vocals, and just continue to reject it their whole lives, you can't resist the metal dammit!!!! :P
    Not everyone has an open mind about such things. Also I have to admit to the singing along in the style of the vocalist also, it's fun!

Deleted
    Hmm, I really don't blame him for disliking the vocals, what more annoys me is how vocal-focused people are. It might work for pop music and mainstream rock which is also almost only focused on the vocalist and vocal melodies but metal is a VERY instrumental genre, and especially so, a band like Obscura. So I really don't get it when people judge everything by the vocals when vocals only make up a "very small part" of the music, to put it that way. Sure, "bad" vocals can ruin a song but not by much to give it 0.5 out of 10 just because of that.
    That essentially means that they take a large crap on the outstanding guitar and bass work just because of an aspect of that music the focus is not on anyways.

Anyways, I think what type of harsh vocals you encounter also matters. My first encounter with harsh vocals was "Hearse" by Marduk. A friend showed me it but he didn't like it either, I think he wanted to demonstrate something with it, I don't remember anymore. And I hated it. I honestly did not understand how could it have positive comments and stuff, I thought it was just a bad joke.

I am not listening to metal for that long, it's like 3-4 years tbh and my second encounter with harsh vocals was Soilwork's Rejection Role some time after the Marduk incident, in a WoW video. It was mainly the clean vocals that I liked in the chorus but the semi-harsh vocals in the verses did not really bother me either. The vid has band members of In Flames featured and the vid for Trigger also has Soilwork members, this lead me to In Flames, first into Reroute to Remain-era stuff and then their earlier materials and then I was pretty much into harsh vocals.
    Funny thing because the second genre I got into after melodeath was black metal, courtesy of In The Nightside Eclipse by Emperor.

---------- Post added 2012-05-13 at 08:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by naranha View Post

Can somebody suggest to me something similar to this? I've been listening to these guys now for a year or so and their old stuff, from the 90s and early 2000s, is just freaking amazing to me!
    I have to admit I lasted only 7 minutes, I find Dream Theater to be excruciatingly boring.
    I am really not a fan of prog metal like this but I heard Touchstones by Subsignal being praised a lot by progheads and to be honest, what little bits and pieces of listens I gave to that album, it does seem to appeal to me much more than DT so...

Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-05-13 at 06:50 AM.

Deleted
    I have to admit I lasted only 7 minutes, I find Dream Theater to be excruciatingly boring.
    I am really not a fan of prog metal like this but I heard Touchstones by Subsignal being praised a lot by progheads and to be honest, what little bits and pieces of listens I gave to that album, it does seem to appeal to me much more than DT so...

Thanks! Maybe I should've been more specific. I do understand why people might call dream theater boring, I also had - and still have - a certain distaste for the sound of prog metal. What amazes me most about Dream Theater is the overall composition, the different layers of sound that they have. I agree with you that Subsignal is totally boring, I thought about buying the album for the sake of it being prog metal, but quickly decided against it.

I think the early DT had an epic-ness and greatness, which was not achieved by over-production, but by good composition and instrumentals. And of course an amazing voice in the early days. That's something I find is missing in many of the current metal bands, but I hope it will come back some day. Before DT I listened a lot to Metallica, Iron Maiden and a lot of Hard + Alternative Rock. Now I'm just looking for a new band to listen to. This stuff is just beginning to sound old to me, because I listened to it so much.

Rush, Vanden Plas, Racer X, Spock's Beard, Spastic Ink, Watchtower, Leprous.
    Leprous sounds great, thanks!
    Last edited by mmoc1c0b124cfa; 2012-05-13 at 10:25 AM.

Deleted
    I think you misunderstood me, I prefer Subsignal to DT. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it when people don't get metal
    I don't get it when people listen to shite pop music, manufactured for the masses. In fact, I don't even get that there is such a thing as 'music for the masses'. Doesn't mean I get annoyed about it. A matter of taste and I'm just glad I don't share theirs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    I think you misunderstood me, I prefer Subsignal to DT. :P
    No, I was just not differentiating between different levels of boringness .

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I don't get it when people listen to shite pop music, manufactured for the masses. In fact, I don't even get that there is such a thing as 'music for the masses'. Doesn't mean I get annoyed about it. A matter of taste and I'm just glad I don't share theirs.
    Well personally I'm weird

I can be sitting at my computer here, listening to Death one minute, and Lady Gaga the next

I love Metal and Pop both Weird eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no problems with pop music as such. I do have problems with music specifically tailored to cater to the single most common denominator. I have problems with music crafted to specifically sound like 'that other hit'. I mind when shit bands like Nickelbad essentially release the exact same song again with slightly different lyrics to rake in the millions.