Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Goriq is a lost cause when it comes to osdm, I tried hard to get him over to the other side but I failed.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-10-07 at 12:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Goriq is a lost cause when it comes to osdm metal, I tried hard to get him over to the other side but I failed.
    ftfy

btw, old school death metal vocals tend to be the best because they have far more character than generic pitch shifter + flanger grunt & pig squeal.

Deleted
    New Dark Tranquillity track:

I never liked his clean vocals. I hope this is the only track with them. Good music though. Vocals are still as evil sounding as ever, I just wish the music was more aggressive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I always thought Mikael's clean vocals are pretty nice though I prefer the way he sounded in the 90s. The way his voice cracks and how it sounds lower and more powerful just made it more enjoyable to listen to for me.

Some of the tracks on Construct with clean vocals were pretty enjoyable though. This was probably my favorite song off of it:
    I honestly don't understand your tastes at times like these!

I seriously can't stand these cleans. And it's not because I hate cleans in metal. They are done pretty well sometimes. But in DT? Big meh. He sounds like a whiney bitch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    I honestly don't understand your tastes at times like these!

I seriously can't stand these cleans. And it's not because I hate cleans in metal. They are done pretty well sometimes. But in DT? Big meh. He sounds like a whiney bitch.
    Cleans have been in DT since The Gallery and they've always been more melancholic and low-key rather than "whiney".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NINJA SLAYER View Post
    Cleans have been in DT since The Gallery and they've always been more melancholic and low-key rather than "whiney".
    They have been in DT I know that. But only a couple, they really are exceptions.

But listen to the 2 examples Goriq posted. The one from Projector is so much different than the one from Construct. I can still listen to the one from Construct. But he does sound like a whiney bitch in Projector and it has made me remove the track from my Spotify list because I simply can't stand it. I don't see how it's ''melancholic''.

Ah well, different tastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saint Vitus were incredible last night. Scott Reagers sounded amazing. I'm too young to have seen them with him previously, as he last toured in 95. I like Wino, but Scott Reagers Vitus is the real deal. A very nice and humble guy as well.

I really hope this isn't just a flash in the pan and we get more tours or even another full length album with him.

Deleted
    What kind of cleans do you like? What kind of music sounds melancholic to you?
    Well, I just ''like'' some cleans. I rather have songs without them, but at times I find them to be fitting the band perfectly and I can't imagine them without cleans anymore. I generally like cleans with power behind them.

I was always very fond of the cleans in As I Lay Dying, mostly from their An Ocean Between Us album.

And the one from Mygrain I like a lot aswell. He has a broad range of different vocal types.

If we're talking melancholic, well, tbh it's not really my area. But one band that comes to mind is When Nothing Remains. I really love the cleans in them. They give that sad feeling.

There's some more bands where I like the cleans, like Amorphis, Allowance (Couldn't find any good example on youtube), Mercenary (Specially their older stuff), Kambrium and possibly some more I can't think of right now.

I also like cleans mixed into folk bands sometimes.

I absolutely hate cleans in Speed/Power metal.

What cleans do you like the most then? I'm interested.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2016-10-08 at 11:34 AM.

Deleted
    I like the vocals in Slugdge. As a matter of fact, I'll take a look at the entire band, I like it.

The rest didn't stand out to me that much personally with exception of Candlemass. I don't like such type of vocals. I simply don't like metal with only cleans and no grunts. I like it when there's a nice balance between grunts and cleans.

When it comes to grunts and female vocals mixed in together, I'm sold though. I'm addicted to that combo

Here's also one of the few metalcore bands where I like the cleans.

Wasn't sure at first to post it because of the general dislike towards metalcore but hey, there's a few metalcore bands I like to listen to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no beef with metalcore, but I'm not going heads over heels over it either. I really like these guys though, they hit my soft spot. Most other stuff seems either too wanky or too wacky for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, metalcore tends to combine the worst parts of metal with the worst parts of hardcore. There's very few bands that get it right in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting conversation. I for one can not stand "unclean" vocals. Almost everyone band I listen to is primarily clean singing. I like a handful of black metal bands and even less death metal bands, but I primarily listen to classic metal, doom metal and power metal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Interesting conversation. I for one can not stand "unclean" vocals. Almost everyone band I listen to is primarily clean singing. I like a handful of black metal bands and even less death metal bands, but I primarily listen to classic metal, doom metal and power metal.
    Well black and death metal might not be a good starter to get into the bands with harsh vocals though!

I also took quite a long time to get to where I am now. I've always liked female fronted gothic bands, like Nightwish, Lacuna Coil etc. Moved on steadily with bands like All That Remains, Atreyu... You know, those type of bands. Started becoming heavier and heavier, ended up with bands ike In Flames, Arch Enemy. Now I pretty much only listen to underground melodic/symphonic/black/doom metal bands. I don't like most extreme bands like grindcore, or pure death metal. I need my melodies, that's what attracts me.

Perhaps in time you'll start to enjoy the harsh vocals more. Was a long path for me atleast. I was always curious why I didn't like the mainstream pop music while most of the people who were of my age did. This was also before youtube and the internet. I still remember seeing bands like In Flames on TV, I think on MTV they had these hard rock evenings or something, been a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to listen to thrash metal, death metal, black metal, hardcore and grind at different periods in my life. I'm no stranger to harsh vocals, but lost my taste for them quite a few years ago. I still enjoy some stuff for nostalgia, but that's about it. Black metal is about all I still wholeheartedly enjoy when it comes to harsh vocals.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of black/death metal do you like?

Also, any kind of traditional doom you can recommend?
    I enjoy old school death metal from time to time. Death, early Morbid Angel, etc. I can't stand melodic death metal/Gothenburg stuff.
    I love atmospheric black metal. I like Burzum, Walknut, Drudkh, etc. The more hypnotic, the better.

Doom metal is my genre. I listen to Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Saint Vitus, The Wounded Kings, The Gates of Slumber, Count Raven, Church of Misery, Electric Wizard. Of course the immortal Black Sabbath. I could go on.

I also listen to progressive rock at least as much if not more than metal.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2016-10-09 at 10:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Doom metal is my genre. I listen to Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Saint Vitus, The Wounded Kings, The Gates of Slumber, Count Raven, Church of Misery, Electric Wizard. Of course the immortal Black Sabbath. I could go on.

I also listen to progressive rock at least as much if not more than metal.
    You should check out Wretch if you haven't yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    You should check out Wretch if you haven't yet.

Already on top of it, brother. As a TGoS fan, I've been eagerly awaiting this LP since they announced the formation of the band.

Deleted

Nice little new album. I like it a lot, also has female vocals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see, that's something I don't hear very often.
    I just prefer melody. Also, traditional doom is my favorite subgenre and I love classic metal and 70's prog and heavy rock, most of which usually shy away from harsh vocals.

Some bands I dig it with growls and such. I wouldn't want Entombed or any other death metal band with clean singing. Black metal would be weird if it were always clean singing, etc.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2016-10-12 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the early 90's bruce dickinson left iron maiden, and I bought his first post-maiden solo album (I was not aware of tattooed millionaire at this time, this was barely start of internet age, more like ftp age). The ablum was balls to picasso and it guaranteed I ignored all his solo work after that.

this year found this record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjK8G5mz29s

and the prior one, Accident of birth, and they are great. harder than iron maiden (chemical wedding is very dark in places).

As an aside, I have read others with the same situation as mine (ignored dickinson after balls to picasso, discovered these records many years later), and think he really hurt his solo career with such a soft record.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sweet second wave worship from the Netherlands.
    That was pretty good apart from the spoken Dutch passage in the middle of the song. Didn't like the Dutch spoken passages in Grey Aura either, they sound so awkward.