Thread: [Music] Metal

A rather fun romp!

Going to see Obscura, Beyond Creation, and Archspire tonight I'm super stoked, can't think of a better tech-death lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    That was pretty nice. Sometimes a little too psychedelic but at other times really great.

It is a pretty trippy album, but that's not a huge departure from the style of their previous albums. I'm a huge fan of psychedelic rock so Forest of Stars is pretty much right up my alley, easily one of my favorite black metal bands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daem View Post
    A rather fun romp!
    I thought this one to be slightly disappointing. I liked parts of it, but overall I expected more. Maybe should give it another listen.

Babymetal are Touring Australia soon.. Holy Anime

What a fat release day today is
    Behemoth - I Loved You at Your Darkest
    High on Fire - Electric Messiah
    Deathhammer - Chained to Hell
    Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis – Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Behemoth hasn't really interested me in a long time, and this new release doesn't change it either. Some okay songs but most of it, it's just not for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    --snip--
    I quite enjoyed that. Would probably have missed that, thanks for the link!

The new Beyond Creation is incredible

10+ Year Old Account
    Sludge / Post black

Raw black from Portugal

I think it's pretty noticeable that Dirk is not behind the kit anymore but I don't really mind the new drummer so far.
    Jesus fuck i love clean vocals over blastbeats so goddamn much. What an amazing song.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty decent black metal from Montreal, Quebec.

10+ Year Old Account

Also the new Daughters album, while not metal despite close relation, blew my fucking mind.

Disturbed
    Metallica
    Slipknot
    System of a Down
    linkin park
    and many more

After listening to black since 1995, I'd like to think I have some degrees of familiarity to the rougher bits and pieces of metal. Well, it holds true if I stay within the confines of black; take for instance these wildly different approaches to black, ordered chronologically: Lost Wisdom -> Into the Infinity of Thoughts -> Prison of Mirrors -> With Hearts Toward None VII -> Disgraced -> VoK. Considering that cheeky inclusion of Arkona, you'd rightfully guess that I try to keep an open mind.

...and it works, if I seclude myself to where I belong, within the black side of the spectrum. Whenever I attempt to grasp death metal I'm rendered baffled and stupefied, even after all those years of being acquainted to decidedly rougher metal. I don't get it, I genuinely fail to fathom the appeal in the vast majority of the death-based descendants I've ever listened to. Case in point, the good old Slit Your Guts: abomination to both my ears and mind.

Anyone got similar stories to share?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
    Disturbed
    Metallica
    Slipknot
    System of a Down
    linkin park
    and many more
    Only the very best bands appear in this list.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

So far I've found something that I like in basically any genre but I'm usually bored by death metal unless it's in combination with some other genre. I listened to Seven Churches for the first time recently and I can accept that it's a pioneer album with historic value for metal but I wasn't feeling it at all. I do like None So Vile though.
    It happens to me too, that need for hybridization, thus I find melodic/symphonic/technical death quite a bit more palatable than the overwhelming majority of examples of slam or deathcore I've been introduced to. Frankly, I've distilled my experiences with metal into three "questions": does it have some sort of underlying structure/framework; does it have some sort of emotional transfer; does it have some sort of message? Answering positively in at least one circumstance, that enables comprehension on my behalf. There's a gigantic chasm between (e.g.) Lunarcyrcus and the aforementioned Slit Your Guts; that is to say, the latter is merely a... wall of sound with no redeeming features.

The "filth" factor made and makes me curious, though, both death and black are rather close siblings in the arena of extreme metal. There's plenty of musical filth in black too, but it's the kind of filth I can understand somehow. When I hear someone praising a case of slam, (much) more often than not I find it unintelligible. Followed, of course, by the shudder I experience hearing the very same person passing forth an identical comment about a case of raw black. I guess I simply have to accept my inability to assimilate death, heh; and then return merrily to my beloved black.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    After listening to black since 1995, I'd like to think I have some degrees of familiarity to the rougher bits and pieces of metal. Well, it holds true if I stay within the confines of black; take for instance these wildly different approaches to black, ordered chronologically: Lost Wisdom -> Into the Infinity of Thoughts -> Prison of Mirrors -> With Hearts Toward None VII -> Disgraced -> VoK. Considering that cheeky inclusion of Arkona, you'd rightfully guess that I try to keep an open mind.

...and it works, if I seclude myself to where I belong, within the black side of the spectrum. Whenever I attempt to grasp death metal I'm rendered baffled and stupefied, even after all those years of being acquainted to decidedly rougher metal. I don't get it, I genuinely fail to fathom the appeal in the vast majority of the death-based descendants I've ever listened to. Case in point, the good old Slit Your Guts: abomination to both my ears and mind.

Just listen to Death, Demilich, Incantation, Pestilence, Bolt Thrower and Gorguts for starters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post

It's pretty much the same for me. I like brutal black metal (well all types of black metal really) but I cannot listen to death metal for the life of me bar a couple of exceptions. Some of the older death metal is alright. Stuff I can listen to is Death, Pestilence, Bloodbath, Immolation, Nile, Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel for example.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2018-10-18 at 07:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @hellhamster That Wolvennest album is on my AotY shortlist, and will most likely sit in the top 5 come end of the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    @hellhamster That Wolvennest album is on my AotY shortlist, and will most likely sit in the top 5 come end of the year.
    Yeah it hits all the right notes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great doom from India.