Thread: [Music] Metal

Way late to the convo but I find myself swinging the opposite direction as tlitd. I've been jamming melodeath, OSDM and the like for so long that dxc, bdm and slam come off as refreshing. In the last year I've listened to hundreds of deathcore, slam and brutal death releases and it's all just dumb fun I can listen to with my friends and laugh when the drums go crazy or the vocals go over the top guttural. I'm also finding plenty of releases that are legitimately great, though to be honest I can't help but enjoy almost any bdm/dxc/slam I consume. It does cleanse my palate though for when I inevitably return to black metal, which like tlitd is my "main" genre.
    This for example is one of my favorite new albums I've heard this month
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

i'm pretty open to most types of metal.. except for power metal that just feels wrong to me.
    pretty sure it's the singing that bugs me(falsetto i guess it's called). and the nerdy themes that usually comes with it.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent Folk/Melodic Death metal from Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    i'm pretty open to most types of metal.. except for power metal that just feels wrong to me.
    pretty sure it's the singing that bugs me(falsetto i guess it's called). and the nerdy themes that usually comes with it.
    Power metal is not for everyone but I'm pretty certain there's some bands that you will probably appreciate. There's a lot of really bad power metal though. Also, the lines are kinda blurred where power metal is concerned.

i'm sure there is but at a first glance i've not been impressed. not enough to even bother looking further into it anyway. to me it's just like heavy metal that worships Conan the Barbarian or some such. and maybe a smidge too cheerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm sure there is but at a first glance i've not been impressed. not enough to even bother looking further into it anyway. to me it's just like heavy metal that worships Conan the Barbarian or some such. and maybe a smidge too cheerful.
    Yea man, no worries. Power metal is definitely not for everyone, and totally understand where you are coming from. Sadly, there's not many power metal fans in this topic. Last year's Unleash the Archers was for example amazing. This year both Visigoth and Gatekeeper (though both lean more towards Heavy Metal - blurring lines again) are probably in my top 10 AOTY.

@goriq Must admit, the Bosse-de-Nage has really started to grow on me after some more listening.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2018-10-19 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Yea man, no worries. Power metal is definitely not for everyone, and totally understand where you are coming from. Sadly, there's not many power metal fans in this topic. Last year's Unleash the Archers was for example amazing. This year both Visigoth and Gatekeeper (though both lean more towards Heavy Metal - blurring lines again) are probably in my top 10 AOTY.
    hehe seems a bit biased towards the black metal crowd but yeah it's nice to see some variety in the representation among the fans here.

Sadly, there's not many power metal fans in this topic. Last year's Unleash the Archers was for example amazing.
    I love power metal and quite a few of my favorite albums ever are PM but yeah not a lot of it gets talked about around here. Doesn't help that 2017 and 2018 have been a real bad couple years for pure PM, the only thing I've heard that's really blown me away released in that time was the latest Rocka Rollas. I should sit down and jam the top rated PM from both years, though.

Edit: not counting trad that leans power like Visigoth, stuff like that has been fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    I love power metal and quite a few of my favorite albums ever are PM but yeah not a lot of it gets talked about around here. Doesn't help that 2017 and 2018 have been a real bad couple years for pure PM, the only thing I've heard that's really blown me away released in that time was the latest Rocka Rollas. I should sit down and jam the top rated PM from both years, though.

Edit: not counting trad that leans power like Visigoth, stuff like that has been fantastic.
    Sadly, have to agree with you. The best power metal albums have been mostly traditional heavy metal with some power metal influences. This year Visigoth and Gatekeeper are excellent. Last year as far as power metal goes, like I mentioned, Unleash the Archers was incredible. But great to hear I'm not really the only one who digs power metal.

- - - Updated - - -

hehe seems a bit biased towards the black metal crowd but yeah it's nice to see some variety in the representation among the fans here.
    Well, to be fair, I also love black metal but I have my roots in old school heavy metal and thrash. I grew up with the bay area bands and I'm still fond of that scene. Power metal for me started with bands like Nevermore. One of my all time favorite bands is Fates Warning for example.

When I want to listen to something new, which is almost always, I put on black, death, whatever is in my backlog. But when I'm just relaxing and want to hear something I've already heard to death I throw on some power metal. Timeless Miracle and Twilight Force have been my recent go-to's, but tonight I think I'm going to discog Nocturnal Rites since it's been years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    When I want to listen to something new, which is almost always, I put on black, death, whatever is in my backlog. But when I'm just relaxing and want to hear something I've already heard to death I throw on some power metal. Timeless Miracle and Twilight Force have been my recent go-to's, but tonight I think I'm going to discog Nocturnal Rites since it's been years.
    For me, my go to bands are Fates Warning, Nevermore and Iced Earth. If I just want to listen to something and I'm feeling nostalgic I really often listen to the Dark Saga, Awaken the Guardian or Dreaming Neon Black / Politics of Ecstasy / Nevermore or Refuge Denied / Mirror Black (Sanctuary) but there's so much more old school stuff I love and frequently listen to like The Lord Weird Slough Feg, Iron Maiden, WASP, Manowar, etc.

ey it's friday so i'll just leave this here.

10+ Year Old Account
    ey it's friday so i'll just leave this here.
    Gotta listen to this. I always confuse this band with Gehenna. And I absolutely love:

haha yeah i heard some talk about them back in the day but they never did much for me.. i guess that extra H at the end was all i needed

10+ Year Old Account
    @Lex Icon My wife somehow really dislikes that Malice album as well, I really have no idea why, and she's into all that slam stuff. To me Malice is amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you guys top 5 so far this year? For me, without thinking, probably:

1) Visigoth
    2) Harakiri for the Sky
    3) Panopticon
    4) Drudkh
    5) Gatekeeper

No doubt forgetting stuff though.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2018-10-19 at 10:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    After about 60 listens I've completely absorbed it. It's one of my favorite albums by now.

If it's done right, I can really get into some power metal but most of what I've listened to didn't really click with me. Recently, however, I listened to Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II and I had a lot of fun with that. So, if you can recommend me something I'm always up for trying some.
    Well those Keepers are amazing. Some of my favorite albums of all time. Here's some others you SHOULD listen to:

10+ Year Old Account
    Will do, thanks. I think I tried a Sanctuary album recently and wasn't a fan. There was some Nevermore album that I kind of liked a few years ago so it's good to get back to them.

I've also been meaning to check out some earlier Blind Guardian albums like Follow the Blind because I'm not much of a fan of their later, much more orchestral and grand sound, to be honest.
    To be fair, Sanctuary really is hard to get into I think. Nevermore is basically a more progressive Sanctuary (almost same band -Warrel Dane's (RIP) vocals are pretty much the best you can get in power metal). I also like older Blind Guardian a lot more than the newer stuff. There's a lot more power metal I can advice you but those just came to mind. Fates Warning basically, for me, is the be all end all.

With Ray Alder instead of John Arch:

EDIT: Newer Fates Warning is more progressive metal than power metal though.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2018-10-19 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure yet, things may well change before the end of the year. For now:

Abigor, Wolvennest, Ascension, Khanus & Yob.

Not gonna put them in any order, as that's pretty pointless at the moment.

@Lex Icon My wife somehow really dislikes that Malice album as well, I really have no idea why, and she's into all that slam stuff. To me Malice is amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Visigoth
    2) Harakiri for the Sky
    3) Panopticon
    4) Drudkh
    5) Gatekeeper

No doubt forgetting stuff though.
    1. Bog Wraith
    2. Spectral Wound
    3. Khemmis
    4. Aorlhac
    5. Abduction

If it's done right, I can really get into some power metal but most of what I've listened to didn't really click with me. Recently, however, I listened to Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II and I had a lot of fun with that. So, if you can recommend me something I'm always up for trying some.
    I'm about to leave work so I'll just dump my rym PM high-to-low. https://rateyourmusic.com/collection.../power%20metal I think I'm more in to that big orchestral grand cheese power metal that you aren't looking for, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it astonishing that no one linked Lost Horizon yet, which is pretty the best power metal record since the 2 Helloweens Keeper albums.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just have zero interest in power metal, pretty much.