Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted
    Haven't listened to this band before, just came across it...not surprised though, there's so much metal in Finland that there's always something to be found. Quite liking these songs though.

Haiduk
    Melodic Blackened Death Metal

New Albu\m/ – Exomancer

1. Death Portent
    2. Unsummon
    3. Evil Art
    4. Subverse
    5. Icevoid Nemesis
    6. Doom Seer
    7. Pulsar
    8. Blood Ripple
    9. Once Flesh
    10. Crypternity

Metal... hmm black sabbath ozzy, if thats not ok fuck you

Great, thanks for the random nonsense post, friend.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Metal... hmm black sabbath ozzy, if thats not ok fuck you
    It's not okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    --Kriegsmaschine--
    I quite liked the album although near the end it started to be a bit long winding.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took me a bit. It's starting to grow on me and think it'll be sneaking into my AotY list.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Slipknot and I'm 16 again.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    New Slipknot and I'm 16 again.
    I'm not even close to being 16 and I'm incredibly grateful for that, thank you very much. Now get off my lawn and therefore allow me to enjoy the otherwise exhilarating LMtEoM peacefully. Kids these days, pfft.

10+ Year Old Account

This kicks ass.

For every name out there which gains a modicum of international recognition, there are probably hundreds who do not. The "trve kvlt" raving lunatics aside, the presence in the underground scene is not an option or preference of the artists themselves therefore friendly shoutouts here and there can only be welcome. Without further ado, Firtan. A German analog of other most obscure acts of black metal (for a couple of examples: realistically, almost no one outside of the former CCCP space has even heard of Bergrizen, let alone be properly acquainted to his creations; and the same for Lascar, virtually unknown outside of South America), with an eclectic style which defies categorization and labeling. A bit of black, a bit of prog, a rather curious Mischmasch which still manages to enthrall the ears and the mind. Well, at least my ears and my mind.

Here's an example of one of their songs, and here's their latest album. Give them a spin, you may end up pleasantly surprised as I was myself.
    Last edited by tlitd; 2018-11-11 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Are you actually german or do you just have a boner for the language?
    I have a strong preference for artists making music in a language they're utterly comfortable with. Think conversational proficiency versus general-purpose proficiency versus literary proficiency. That much said, I also have a strong preference to elaborate and intricate lyrics in music. Hence the added emphasis on the language of choice.

I don't like the German language more than I like the Russian one, neither being my native language, but I do like them both (in aggregate) more than I like the Romance languages. As a crude first approximation, because not all Romance languages are the same in terms of roots and influences. For instance contemporary Romanian is a rather hilarious amalgam of historical roots (first Greek and Latin, second Russian and German) blended and concocted into the Dacian of yore, with added spices of French and then English during the last two centuries; of course that it will bear a limited resemblance to Spanish, although both of them end up lumped into a single overarching entity. To be fair, I guess I simply enjoy discovering languages rather than fixating on a specific one. Со мной всё в порядке, товарищ.

I still dislike the obnoxious (and frankly commercial) propensity the Scandinavian metal bands display in favor of the English language. After decades to get used to it, that marketing decision still leaves a sour taste. Alas, the Rubicon has been crossed a long time ago; but the blinding contrast only helps outliers such as (e.g.) Til Tor Ulven shine brightlier. More often than not the poetry succumbs to the unfortunate fate of being lost in translation... and that's just sad.
    Last edited by tlitd; 2018-11-12 at 06:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. I asked because you used some german words that someone who isn't a native wouldn't use, probably even if they're a foreign learner.

Generally, I prefer my music in a language that I can understand so either english or german, my native language. Being able to understand the band just makes connecting to the music and understanding it easier and I also noticed that I have trouble really memorizing an album when I can't associate the sound of a song to a title because I don't understand the title.
    Pretty much same for me. Which was part of the reason I really couldn't get into the last Moonspell album (as an example). It somehow doesn't really pull me in. While I'm far from fluent in German, I am Dutch and understand it moderately well, and I actually quite enjoy bands that use German. Same goes for Finnish (Moonsorrow comes to mind), which might be terrible for someone who doesn't understand the language. Of course, there are also plenty exceptions of albums I enjoy and I don't understand anything of.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2018-11-13 at 11:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty much the opposite. I don't care about lyrics as an initial draw. They can, however, completely put me off the music. A lot of metal bands have lyrics that, were they actual humans, are too stupid to breathe on their own. While there are bands whose lyrics are well-crafted and give the music an additional draw, mostly it's the last thing I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Sadly, have to agree with you. The best power metal albums have been mostly traditional heavy metal with some power metal influences. This year Visigoth and Gatekeeper are excellent. Last year as far as power metal goes, like I mentioned, Unleash the Archers was incredible. But great to hear I'm not really the only one who digs power metal.
    Definitely not, I enjoy a lot of PM myself! One of my preferred genres, though I've been tapping into others lately as well. But it is true that the last few years have been a bit barren. I'm hoping a new Demons and Wizards album gets announced on the horizon, soon!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daem View Post
    Definitely not, I enjoy a lot of PM myself! One of my preferred genres, though I've been tapping into others lately as well. But it is true that the last few years have been a bit barren. I'm hoping a new Demons and Wizards album gets announced on the horizon, soon!
    From what I remember, I think Jon Schaffer had said in an interview that next up is a Demons and Wizards album and not Iced Earth. So hopefully we get some news soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, I didn't mean it that way at all. I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the lyrics at first, especially since I usually listen to new music while doing something else. If I really like something though I will probably start paying attention to the lyrics at which point I would like to be able to understand them to further connect with the music.

edit: Since it came up again, I am also still continuing my little venture into power metal for the time being. Though I am pretty slow this is what it looks like for me so far:

https://rateyourmusic.com/collection.../power%20metal

Mostly solid albums really with a few I enjoy a lot. Sorry Cairhiin but most of the power metal you recommended is not really what I am looking for at the moment but I do plan to check out some other Iced Earth albums at some point.
    Is no problem at all. Most of the stuff I linked isn't really traditional power metal like Sonata Arctica (I really can't stand them) for example. They're so many different bands in that scene and I admit a lot is trash but there are also great albums to be had. Just keep exploring!

@daem You listened to the new Ashes of Ares already? As a huge fan of Barlow I was really excited for it but first listen left me a bit disappointed.

Last edited by Cairhiin; 2018-11-16 at 12:05 PM.

@daem You listened to the new Ashes of Ares already? As a huge fan of Barlow I was really excited for it but first listen left me a bit disappointed.
    No I hadn't heard them yet...first one is definitely kind of a ballad (and a bit of a long and boring one at that), second one is ok, but nothing mind-blowing. Feels a little flat, streamlined. Definitely not in the same depth as previous Iced Earth offerings, hopefully the remaining songs will provide a little more of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daem View Post
    No I hadn't heard them yet...first one is definitely kind of a ballad (and a bit of a long and boring one at that), second one is ok, but nothing mind-blowing. Feels a little flat, streamlined. Definitely not in the same depth as previous Iced Earth offerings, hopefully the remaining songs will provide a little more of that.
    Problem I have with Ashes of Ares, is that all songs are pretty much mid-tempo. It starts to bore really quickly, and although Barlow still sounds amazing, he can't really carry the band to great heights alone. It's okay, but I rather listen to Iced Earth or Pyramaze (the one album with Barlow is pretty okay).

Here's something else for you if you haven't heard it yet (also proves me wrong. Schaffer apparently doing a pre-Iced Earth Purgatory reunion album first - not Demons and Wizards):

Here's something else for you if you haven't heard it yet (also proves me wrong. Schaffer apparently doing a pre-Iced Earth Purgatory reunion album first - not Demons and Wizards)
    Considering they're heading out on tour soon as Demons and Wizards, I'm still holding out hope for a new album announcement. Schaffer's definitely been busy though, with the new Iced Earth last year, and this Purgatory reunion and all. I still argue that the first Demons and Wizards album is probably some of the best Schaffer and Hansi have done. Hansi specifically lends so much haunting atmosphere on that album, it's a gem!