Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Wow, I didn't expect to hear any new Blotted Science. Fantastic stuff, the time changes are so tight.

Listen to these fucking crazy riffs and destroy everything around you. The last minute makes me do backflips right in the pits of hell.

As far as I'm concerned, January was a truly frigid and sterile month. To that end I've shared a fair bit of wailing already. But February... oh my! The pace has picked up significantly, much to my auditory delight:
    1. Warmoon Lord - Burning Banners of the Funereal War. A great reminiscence of aeons past, but likely less relevant for the younger audience of black metal. Nevertheless a joyride for the older degenerates like myself, hehe.
    2. Licht- und Schattensaiten - Weißbunter Rabe. Forget trying to label it with a convenient epithet, it's not going to happen. It's definitely not black metal regardless of how you spin it, and labels such as avantgarde/experimental/post prove to be of limited applicability. It is however an awesome listening experience, transcending the boundaries of its primogenitor.
    3. Sacrificia - Nostalgia. It has been released a couple of days ago, and I've already had a sleepless night listening to this album back to back. Entrancing example of dark ambient, melancholic but doubtlessly soothing. If inner tranquility is what you seek, this album delivers in spades.
    4. Sordide - Hier déjà mort. Filthy French black metal, I seem to be lured back to that particular scene despite my conscious efforts to spread my focus and attention elsewhere. The damned French trawl me more frequently than I'd like to admit, my dismay becomes readily apparent.
    5. Aleere - Suicide in Solitude. The title is ridiculously self-explanatory, this is a work in DSBM. That is enough on its own to alienate a large portion of its potential audience, but in my opinion that would mean to err on the side of caution. A commendable example of DSBM thus deserving a bit of patience and goodwill.

Aihos - Hävityksen Maa
    youtube.com/watch?v=x5T1PTh9SF8

The new Traveler fucking rules. AOTY material for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Limenaa View Post
    JP Abboud has been a busy dude this year, Traveler comes out with a full album and Gatekeeper has a 2nd album coming out Friday as well. He does the vocals for both bands. Dude has pipes.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paarthurnax View Post
    JP Abboud has been a busy dude this year, Traveler comes out with a full album and Gatekeeper has a 2nd album coming out Friday as well. He does the vocals for both bands. Dude has pipes.
    Can't wait for this Gatekeeper album, I really enjoyed the previous one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Limenaa View Post
    Just checked out one track, and I'm loving it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow a lot of them but wich i experienced mostly old genre metal:

Saxon
    Accept and U.D.O.
    Dio
    AC/DC (but for me its hard rock not metal)

I started my journey with metal music from those sounds.

Do not listen to it unless you're a fanatical follower of the black metal scene. You have been warned, this album is not for the faint of heart. And neither for the righteous fancypants, self-proclaimed acolytes of a genre they don't belong to. A cornucopia of filth: Morgue Fornicator - Psalms of Shit, Semen, and Blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, the band name and title do little but elicit an eyeroll. This is high school edgelord try-harding.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Frankly, the band name and title do little but elicit an eyeroll. This is high school edgelord try-harding.
    I agree, in fact eye-rolling was my explicit first reaction at the very sight of the name and title. But then I've listened to it twice back-to-back, the album is good (to my ears and mind, but I've been listening to black metal for a long time; hence it shouldn't necessarily be the case for the more casual listeners). I don't mind the pretentiously risible choice of name and title, they actually serve a purpose - to keep the moralist clowns at bay. You know, the kind of people who do not listen to (e.g.) Burzum because (e.g.) Varg is such a mean person.

To continue on a similarly humorous tone, for quite a few years I've been a supporter of cautionary disclaimers. Perhaps the black metal equivalent of Dante's "lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate" should be an inelegant but effective: fuck off, prudes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm on a sudden Hevy Devy binge

I agree, the new Traveler album is pretty great

New Moth Gatherer, sludge/doom, reminds me a lot of Cult of Luna, which isn't a bad thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    More of the same but now with better production!

I digged out this outstanding masterpiece of an album and stumbled upon a question: In this last song (see below), there is a womens voice singing in the end - where is that from? I know the melody, i just cant place it right.
    The chorus in the song is part of the US naval hymn, but that last part, which is, btw, freaking beautiful, i seem to knwo it but i dont know from where i know it. Halp!!

Otherwise, enjoy

Cant post links yet - song is "The Monolith Deathcult - Den Ensomme Nordens Dronning"

Not sure where that sample is from but I agree, The Monolith Deathcult are fantastic.

New In Flames dropped, it's real bad.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    New In Flames dropped, it's real bad.
    To the surprise of absolutely no one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm on a sudden Hevy Devy binge

HELL YES!

Devin Townsend is my musical spirit animal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    To the surprise of absolutely no one.
    WSOU DJ's would cry. For some reason they have a hard on for In Flames.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Other than IF, some good shit did drop today:
    Vimur
    Miscarriage
    Darkwater
    Drastus
    Pissgrave

Haven't jammed Pissgrave yet but the rest of those are all fantastic.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    A Dark Souls themed Visigoth EP? Sign me the fuck up.
    Oh god why.