Thread: [Music] Metal

Latest suggestions:
    1. Mörmbrztröm - Demo I. (not available on BC/YT; uploaded by me here)
    2. Ctenizidae - Endless Decay in Putrescent Void.
    3. Scür - Signùr d' la négra lüs.
    4. Oneiric Eclipse - Oneiric Eclipse.
    5. Diatrekhon Aster - An Ecosystem of Utility Poles.
    6. Salvaticus - Ordo Naturalis.
    7. Sheol Blanc - Decadance.

On another note, fascinating to witness classics of black metal reconstructed under an one-man-army paradigm. Exempli gratia: Lykanthrop's I am the Black Wizards.

New Disillusion, they are back!

A rather quiet week:
    1. Destined to Suffer - Glass Souls.
    2. Araphel - Mavet.
    3. Mournhel - Everything Ends - Part I.

Latest mentions of Батюшка (and the following posts) were the moment to ask this question, but I was massively sidelined by that fabled beast of a non-average black metal album. No harm done, the question still stands: in the context of "orthodox" black metal (however you may call it, e.g. liturgical/ritual), how enjoyable is Литꙋргіѧ to you? It's obviously a popular album (humorous mention: #42 all-time, really?), but it would be nice to indulge in a few "real talk" comments to clarify your personal position.

To me it's enjoyable yet inconspicuous, a drop in a sea of many. And I can offer examples to illustrate that, even restricting myself to the last few years. Some relatively recent "orthodox" black albums that I find as enjoyable as Литꙋргіѧ, on average: Svartsyn - In Death, Mephorash - Shem Na Mephorash, Hexengrab - Oderint Dum Metuant. A couple of recent albums which I find significantly more enjoyable, both on average and at their respective peaks: Devilgroth - Ivan Grozny, Reverorum ib Malacht - Im Ra Distare Summum Soveris Seris Vas Innoble. Quite frankly, I don't understand why and how Батюшка became viral.

On the new Twilight Force: I'm liking this more than their second album. Their new vocalist does a better job than I thought he would. The album is reaching critical levels of cheese even more so than the previous two and it's a bit too long, again, but it's pretty fun to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    Latest mentions of Батюшка (and the following posts) were the moment to ask this question, but I was massively sidelined by that fabled beast of a non-average black metal album. No harm done, the question still stands: in the context of "orthodox" black metal (however you may call it, e.g. liturgical/ritual), how enjoyable is Литꙋргіѧ to you? It's obviously a popular album (humorous mention: #42 all-time, really?), but it would be nice to indulge in a few "real talk" comments to clarify your personal position.

To me it's enjoyable yet inconspicuous, a drop in a sea of many. And I can offer examples to illustrate that, even restricting myself to the last few years. Some relatively recent "orthodox" black albums that I find as enjoyable as Литꙋргіѧ, on average: Svartsyn - In Death, Mephorash - Shem Na Mephorash, Hexengrab - Oderint Dum Metuant. A couple of recent albums which I find significantly more enjoyable, both on average and at their respective peaks: Devilgroth - Ivan Grozny, Reverorum ib Malacht - Im Ra Distare Summum Soveris Seris Vas Innoble. Quite frankly, I don't understand why and how Батюшка became viral.
    Batushka - the original - was bland as fuck. Entry level 'black' metal, and I use the term lightly, made to be as accessible and digestible as possible. Add some smoke and hoods to spice up the show and those who never bothered with black metal suddenly found a band they could stomach. It offered easy hooks, it offered easy bouts of melody to latch on to in the form of the recycled choral parts. And a fair bit of black metal always offered the theatrics already. It was made to sell and it did.

Frankly, I have no idea why it didn't end with the shit Bart pulled with the band, fucking over fans and promoters alike, nor do I understand why his version of the band is given attention through a label deal and new gigs. He should've been completely ignored by at least the professional world. I don't particularly expect entry level fans to know any better.

I agree, I think we talked about this before too. Litourgya was very bland. The concept was great, if you ask me, I think choral music can be great, but the way they executed it on Litourgya was just unremarkable and underwhelming. Why it did as well as it did, I can't really say, but I think Duilliath has a good guess.

The only one of the new Batushka's I listened to was Drabikowski's, I couldn't muster the motivation to listen to Krysiuk's new album. As for Drabikowski's version of Batushka, it was still bland. He cut out a lot of the coral parts and what remained was a decent black metal album that won't make me come back to it.

Also, anyone else in here digging the new King Gizzard album? It's the first one I've really listened to but this thrashy type of psychedelic rock is pretty fun.

Yeah the new King Gizzard is definitely a good album, it's also fun to hear a psyche rock band's take on thrash metal.

I will never understand the appeal of Batushka personally, it's just basic black metal with an orthodox chant gimmick. Sounds cool, but gets boring after 5 minutes.

Speaking of which, I finally listened to DsO's Si Monumentum... in full for the first time this week and they did black metal with choral parts much better in 2004.

SoL is a nice surprise coming out of nowhere; I'd say that the Dutch scene mostly failed to impress this year. Speaking of which, I'll call it right now and you can thank me later, as their second gets released: Asagraum is overrated.
    1. Litanie - Ad Absolutam Essentiae.
    2. The Kingdom of Peace - Homeless.
    3. Superterrestrial - The Void that Exists.
    4. Blosse - Loin.
    5. Imperial Cult - Spasm of Light.
    6. Pa Vesh En - Pyrefication.

Hey, if you like your black metal Watain, then I guess Asagraum will suit you. It's most competent though not particularly engaging as far as I'm concerned.

Eh, I liked the odd song on Litourgya but there wasn't enough to hold my attention. I also quite like the odd Asagraum song. Gotta see where the new album is going.

@goriq The new Twilight Force is okay but it all feels a little too much on the cliche side of things; granted not that Twilight Force hasn't always been cliche.

Something else entirely... another Fates Warning related project: This time Ray Alder is releasing a solo album. If the single is an indication then it's pretty much what you'd expect from him. It's alright but I definitely prefer Arch/Matheos.

Mea culpa: I may have dismissed the Dutch unjustly, TRTBFD is a second most enthralling counterexample. On another note, I find Imber's vocals commendable and endearing; another strong point of the excellent MSG. Good female voices, as rare as precious commodities of the black metal trade.
    1. Tornmód ‎– Fullmoon Misanthropy.
    2. Mürmurio - Demo I.
    3. Blood Tyrant - The Realm That Brings Forth Death.
    4. Scargzlot - Wolf's Atonement.
    5. Through the Spatial Dimensions - Through the Spatial Dimensions.
    6. Tyhjä - Tästä kuolevasta maailmasta.
    7. Tenebrae in Perpetuum - Anorexia obscura.
    8. Aludra - Mass Stellar Graves.

Lastly, a couple of dungeon synth suggestions:
    1. Tir - Urd, Skuld & Verdandi.
    2. Ururdhagaz - Någonstans i en Tid​.​..
    Last edited by tlitd; 2019-08-31 at 08:26 AM.

Heads-up: Age of Excuse has just been released. Not quite my flavor of deviance, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    Heads-up: Age of Excuse has just been released. Not quite my flavor of deviance, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
    Thanks for the heads up, didn't realize they had a new album; and yea it's great.

Some of my favs atm. Seen them live too some years back at roskilde festival in denmark, just my favs atm i change favs all the time

Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-09-03 at 05:37 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

It's up.

More of the same, the quality hasn't abated at all, probably their second best record. I mean, it has big fucking drums and big fucking riffs, what's not to like?
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2019-09-04 at 03:56 PM.

Demon Hunter is great. Been around since 2004 I believe. Just released a double album called War & Peace.

As an old boy i like oldshool bands like:
    Pretty Maids
    Halloween
    Dimple Minds
    Kreator