Thread: [Music] Metal

I prefer The Somberlain over Storm by quite a margin, actually. Storm of the Light's Bane is a good album, though. One of the first albums I really dug when I was first getting into BM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Storm is way more consistent, but the best songs on Somberlain blow SotLB out of the water.

unrelated but getting pretty tired of seeing so many bands using the same artist for their logos and even worse cheap imitations.
    been decades now.. jeez! find some new shit!.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    As opposed to all the Verwimp stuff? Or every single thrash cover being Ed Repka? Or every single logo of an era having been designed by Szpajdel? I don't think anything will change in that respect.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2019-07-25 at 09:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Tomb Mold slays. Might be the greatest neo-OSDM since Dead Congregation's latest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    I ask myself how many people will skip Hwwauoch's second because they fail pronouncing the band's name. I call it culling the unfaithful.
    Working through that list now and started with Hwwauoch as I remembered quite enjoying their last release. In response to your last bit though... reminds me of Ninnghizhidda (gesundheit!) and people just utterly giving up on trying to remember the spelling or pronunciation there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello spambot.

--

This is by the guys who were in Negura Bunget after the whole split into NB and Dordeduh. Apparently this is them moving on after Negru's passing.

10+ Year Old Account

Hehe, you've already sneaked in Mahr's second. I should have mentioned it with the rest of the ПК updates, I happened to listen to this one with a bit of a delay. That much said, a fresh batch of obscurities:
    1. Lord Einsamkeit - A Most Certain Death.
    2. Deadspace - Dirge.
    3. Primogenorum - Ye Last Ordeal. (preview at BC; uploaded by me here)
    4. Plague Spitter - Flesh Abyss.
    5. Qualm - Tiefe.
    6. Cerphas - Animus Meus.
    7. Funérarium - Abyssal Addiction.
    8. Wintermord - Demo I.
    9. Mallitiae - Inclusum Malum Aeternam Servitutem Umbra Illius Serpentis.
    10. Degredo/Occelensbrigg - Inverno Profundo.
    11. Kaldt Helvete - Le Sombre Règne​.​.​.​

I apologize if the amount of suggestions seems overwhelming, I wanted to cover up some niche projects likely unfamiliar to many people. Perhaps you'll find a couple of things you might enjoy. Please don't misunderstand: liking projects which are already "big"/popular/famous is absolutely fine, but every now and then it's great to discover gems in the dirt.

Just discovered Carnifex with Heavy Mtl

They been around for a few years I guess they have the label *deathcore* from that video I guess this how last Dimmu Borgir should have sound. They are from the USA but imo they sound more like black symphonique (Dimmu, Old mand or Behemoth). Nuclear blast seem to push this band with their latest. They have a song with that Arch Enemy singer.
    worth a try

10+ Year Old Account

Latest suggestions:
    1. Mörmbrztröm - Demo I. (not available on BC/YT; uploaded by me here)
    2. Ctenizidae - Endless Decay in Putrescent Void.
    3. Scür - Signùr d' la négra lüs.
    4. Oneiric Eclipse - Oneiric Eclipse.
    5. Diatrekhon Aster - An Ecosystem of Utility Poles.
    6. Salvaticus - Ordo Naturalis.
    7. Sheol Blanc - Decadance.

On another note, fascinating to witness classics of black metal reconstructed under an one-man-army paradigm. Exempli gratia: Lykanthrop's I am the Black Wizards.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Disillusion, they are back!

A rather quiet week:
    1. Destined to Suffer - Glass Souls.
    2. Araphel - Mavet.
    3. Mournhel - Everything Ends - Part I.

Latest mentions of Батюшка (and the following posts) were the moment to ask this question, but I was massively sidelined by that fabled beast of a non-average black metal album. No harm done, the question still stands: in the context of "orthodox" black metal (however you may call it, e.g. liturgical/ritual), how enjoyable is Литꙋргіѧ to you? It's obviously a popular album (humorous mention: #42 all-time, really?), but it would be nice to indulge in a few "real talk" comments to clarify your personal position.

To me it's enjoyable yet inconspicuous, a drop in a sea of many. And I can offer examples to illustrate that, even restricting myself to the last few years. Some relatively recent "orthodox" black albums that I find as enjoyable as Литꙋргіѧ, on average: Svartsyn - In Death, Mephorash - Shem Na Mephorash, Hexengrab - Oderint Dum Metuant. A couple of recent albums which I find significantly more enjoyable, both on average and at their respective peaks: Devilgroth - Ivan Grozny, Reverorum ib Malacht - Im Ra Distare Summum Soveris Seris Vas Innoble. Quite frankly, I don't understand why and how Батюшка became viral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tlitd View Post
    Latest mentions of Батюшка (and the following posts) were the moment to ask this question, but I was massively sidelined by that fabled beast of a non-average black metal album. No harm done, the question still stands: in the context of "orthodox" black metal (however you may call it, e.g. liturgical/ritual), how enjoyable is Литꙋргіѧ to you? It's obviously a popular album (humorous mention: #42 all-time, really?), but it would be nice to indulge in a few "real talk" comments to clarify your personal position.

To me it's enjoyable yet inconspicuous, a drop in a sea of many. And I can offer examples to illustrate that, even restricting myself to the last few years. Some relatively recent "orthodox" black albums that I find as enjoyable as Литꙋргіѧ, on average: Svartsyn - In Death, Mephorash - Shem Na Mephorash, Hexengrab - Oderint Dum Metuant. A couple of recent albums which I find significantly more enjoyable, both on average and at their respective peaks: Devilgroth - Ivan Grozny, Reverorum ib Malacht - Im Ra Distare Summum Soveris Seris Vas Innoble. Quite frankly, I don't understand why and how Батюшка became viral.
    Batushka - the original - was bland as fuck. Entry level 'black' metal, and I use the term lightly, made to be as accessible and digestible as possible. Add some smoke and hoods to spice up the show and those who never bothered with black metal suddenly found a band they could stomach. It offered easy hooks, it offered easy bouts of melody to latch on to in the form of the recycled choral parts. And a fair bit of black metal always offered the theatrics already. It was made to sell and it did.

Frankly, I have no idea why it didn't end with the shit Bart pulled with the band, fucking over fans and promoters alike, nor do I understand why his version of the band is given attention through a label deal and new gigs. He should've been completely ignored by at least the professional world. I don't particularly expect entry level fans to know any better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the new King Gizzard is definitely a good album, it's also fun to hear a psyche rock band's take on thrash metal.

I will never understand the appeal of Batushka personally, it's just basic black metal with an orthodox chant gimmick. Sounds cool, but gets boring after 5 minutes.

SoL is a nice surprise coming out of nowhere; I'd say that the Dutch scene mostly failed to impress this year. Speaking of which, I'll call it right now and you can thank me later, as their second gets released: Asagraum is overrated.
    1. Litanie - Ad Absolutam Essentiae.
    2. The Kingdom of Peace - Homeless.
    3. Superterrestrial - The Void that Exists.
    4. Blosse - Loin.
    5. Imperial Cult - Spasm of Light.
    6. Pa Vesh En - Pyrefication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, if you like your black metal Watain, then I guess Asagraum will suit you. It's most competent though not particularly engaging as far as I'm concerned.