Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trolling Rehab View Post
    Meh, doesn't matter what you think...Lyrics are awesome.
    If I want awesome lyrics, I'll go read a book.

Awesome lyrics are a bonus, definitely, but not why I listen to metal. If that were the case, I'd have run away screaming years ago.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the majority of metal lyrics crack me the fuck up. Go read some Woods of Ypres lyrics if you want a good laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or some (random) black metal band using the word Satan 666 times in every single song because it's trve, kvlt and grim. Of course, not like heavy metal is any better (Manowar using the word power 40+ times in one 4minute song...) What about death metal? Just grab a medical encyclopedia and rattle off the horrid illnesses you find in there.

Yes, there's bands with great lyrics. But for most of them, I'm just glad they're hard to understand anyway so you don't notice how daft they are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Awesome lyrics are a bonus, definitely, but not why I listen to metal. If that were the case, I'd have run away screaming years ago.
    With me its awesome guitar shredding that makes it a bonus :3

From Avenged Sevenfold I've heard Bat Country and something from the new album as they were linked to me. Didn't exactly feel anything after listening to those either. Nothing special though not as horrible as some people make them out to be. I just don't get how they're so big, still, I guess if they're shaping up to be the next Metallica I know to stay away. Apart from few given songs I never liked them and St. Anger was horrible. If it was by any other band it wouldn't even be receiving those 4/10 or 5/10 ratings.

As for lyrics, wonderful lyrical side is naturally a bonus, but lack of it doesn't take away from how a song is musically. Could say that as a result I don't mind completely ridiculous lyrics. Wouldn't even have the time to really focus on the lyrics of each and every song. Better to have spotlights that you get to really feel rather than a mass where nothing comes forward as exceptional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    As for lyrics, wonderful lyrical side is naturally a bonus, but lack of it doesn't take away from how a song is musically. Could say that as a result I don't mind completely ridiculous lyrics. Wouldn't even have the time to really focus on the lyrics of each and every song. Better to have spotlights that you get to really feel rather than a mass where nothing comes forward as exceptional.
    Well for me, alot of my favourite songs arent the normal genres I would listen to...If a song means alot to me lyrically, I love it no matter how it sounds.

Now On topic...Parkway Drive, I first heard these guys a while ago and imo they are pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tptChkpxMoQ

I'd say lyrics are just one side of the music. They can emphasize or ruin a song or barely affect anything. Best songs tends to naturally have strong lyrics which tie you to the song more easily emotionally. I would still argue lyrics aren't a necessity if you can imagine human voice as only yet another instrument.

I guess it's also a factor how you decipher a song mentally. I'm very visual and songs with lyrics and instrumentals both create a vivid world inside. Some people might reflect to the songs mainly through the spokes words, which is okay.

Two (non-metal) quite famous yet to me very emotional songs without any lyrics at all. Both rival many songs even with masterful wordplay.
    Farewell
    The Heart Asks Pleasure First/The Promise

Or some (random) black metal band using the word Satan 666 times in every single song because it's trve, kvlt and grim. Of course, not like heavy metal is any better (Manowar using the word power 40+ times in one 4minute song...) What about death metal? Just grab a medical encyclopedia and rattle off the horrid illnesses you find in there.
    The 2 Metal genres with the "best" lyrics are Thrash and Power Metal.
    Thrash is basically about being drunk, partying, headbanging, moshing at gigs etc... agressive stuff. Power Metal is...epic: U know, medieval stuff, wizards, slaying dragons, knights, forgotten magical kingdoms etc... how awesome isn't that?

As for Death Metal, the only band I can think of that wrote intelligent lyrics was Death with their 4 last albums (although the 2 last ones can hardly be considered Death Metal)

Btw. A7X is NOT Metal, neither is Slipknot... or Disturbed... or Linkin Park... or Korn... or Sonic Syndicate, Atreyu (I could go on, but u know what kind of bands I' aiming at).

NU-Metal, anything "Core", rap/fussion stuff is NOT Metal. (Not saying that the bands suck, but they are NOT Metal)
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The 2 Metal genres with the "best" lyrics are Thrash and Power Metal.
    That depends entirely on your definition of best. What you followed it with does exactly nothing for me. I don't care about bands singing about how they totally hooked up with that hooker whilst smoking weed and downing a couple six packs. Much as I love Dio's vocals, I don't think his lyrics about Dragons or Rainbows in the Dark are pure literature. Then again, I find the overly satanic lyrics equally hilarious as well as Carcas-style lyrics.

Skyclad had awesome lyrics. Virus' lyrics are great. I enjoy Deathspell Omega's lyrics. Dodheimgard's "Supervillain Outcast" had some good stuff. Devin Townsend can be totally zaney or great and it's always a guess which it's going to be. But while, for example, Immolation are probably my favourite Death Metal band, I can't say I care much for their lyrics. Portal's lyrics on the other hand are as distorted as their music, which really enhances the feel of the songs.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like Gojira's lyrics.

Reflecting ourselves in the blood of all the beings we slay
    Misunderstand each other, out of control we remain
    There is a mystery, we're facing a sight to behold
    This is what we make of the world, we throw everything away

The way we all behave is not understandable
    It is so sad to see the wealth of our planet fade away
    We all behave like children, taking off the head of our teddy bear
    to see what's inside, taking, not giving back
    We drain the oceans and suck all the blood out of the soil
    We spend the time we have left fighting and killing each other
    Lust for comfort, entertainment becomes an obsession
    And there is so much time to kill

The way I see things is so simple
    The fact I'm walking standing on this land
    Exhausted is the realm of nature, friends are dying
    The living creatures on our side
    The way I see myself so confused so sophisticated
    I have to stay away from me
    But I still don't get the point
    What's worth destroying all the worlds
    Try not to get it anymore

You burn yourself, set fire for good
    We die eyes closed, dig our own grave now
    Tossed in the blaze naked on the flame
    Lost with no pride, drowned in the filth
    The giant snake is coming down to eat our heads
    and the flood will kill us, Mantus is rising from under

The way I see things is so simple
    The fact I'm living dying on this land
    Exhausted is the realm of nature, friends are dying
    The living creatures on our side
    The way I see myself so confused so sophisticated
    Don't have to stay away from me
    But I still don't get the point
    What's worth destroying all the worlds

Try not to get it anymore [4x]

*walks in*
    *sees bad music*
    *walks out*

This thread is just a time bomb for faggots to get ripped apart because of their misconception of what good metal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    "Can you handle the Paperwork please?"
    "The only escape is death..."
    "Umm, ok, but would you mind? It's not much, really."
    "Stick Around!"
    "I'd love to, but i've gotta get back to the meeting"
    "BOOOOONESTOOOORM!
    *Marrowgar knocks the paperwork off the desk in rage*

Get shit on, Rawshik.

Anyways, I listened to some old Trivium after not listening to them in a long time. My face got blasted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_Z2Fzg1ro

10+ Year Old Account
    'Old' Trivium. The mind boggles.

Bringing up the folk metal topic one more time. I just heard Moonsorrow are going to enter the studio again. Even if they're a band that only gets occasional listens from me due to the kind of music they make, I'm really looking forward to this. One of my favourite handful folk/pagan/viking metal bands and are yet to let me down.

If the first song isn't for you then maybe try Pakanajuhla. Perhaps their catchiest piece, and unlike many other songs it's below 7 minutes.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    new Agrypnie is pretty great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHucfDmdtJY

style is progressive black metal

1.strapping young lad
    2.Hatebreed
    3.Metallica
    4.Divine Heresy
    5.Type O Negative

I don't know if you consider ToN a metal band but they seem like goth metal to me.and the other ones are explainitory

Deleted
    in no order, as my fave changes day to day, including loads not mentioned

1-Anaal Nathrakh (try if you havent heard ^ ^)
    2-Opeth
    3-Pig Destroyer
    4-Cephalic Carnage
    5-Cobalt

and loads more.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    'Old' Trivium. The mind boggles.
    Well seeing as they formed 11 years ago and wrote songs from that point until their debut album 7 years ago, I'd say it qualifies as 'old' now, especially since it's got a completely different sound than modern metal or metalcore now. If you want old, I'll let you now that i listen to Vivaldi and Paganini just as often as metal music, but that's besides the point. They are a good band to 'get back into' though, I've found that listening to their older stuff again after a few years is just as enjoyable as going back to some original Metallica or Maiden.

Well seeing as they formed 11 years ago and wrote songs from that point until their debut album 7 years ago, I'd say it qualifies as 'old' now, especially since it's got a completely different sound than modern metal or metalcore now. If you want old, I'll let you now that i listen to Vivaldi and Paganini just as often as metal music, but that's besides the point. They are a good band to 'get back into' though, I've found that listening to their older stuff again after a few years is just as enjoyable as going back to some original Metallica or Maiden.
    Srry, but in the Metal world, anything before 92'-93' is old, eveything after is new (especially everything after 2000)
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

In your metal world, and it others' metal worlds of course. But your pesonal opinion doesn't speak for an entire genre and the people who listen to it.