Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: so these forums are no fun anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria
    but if you need protection from trolls / wanna be coolkids then i just feel sorry for you.
    Who said we needed protection? It's a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to read 3/4 posts that are just OP flame and trolling.

Your joking right? Since the change there have been no more "cool story bro" replies and other unconstructive, disrespectful drivel, with half the replies bringing nothing to the debate. Frankly the moderators need to maintain the current level of moderation till the trolls and meme-spouters are purged, else the forums will fall into a mess of /facepalm and lolcats again.

well some people were debating the fate of the knights of the ebon blade in cata yesterday and the thread got deleted...

i guess lore debates are offlimits now
    great....oh damnit I'm gonna get ba-
    But seriously, mods stop locking threads for no good reason. They don't have to be serious, well thought out posts in order to stay unlocked. Rember, this is a GAME forum. It's not like we are discussing global warming or something.

To the guy who said free speech doesn't apply, I'm sorry, I guess living in America has spoiled me.

Honestly, if I want to read an EJ-style board, I'll read EJ. I joined this board because well, sometimes the troll topics are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypper
    Honestly, if I want to read an EJ-style board, I'll read EJ. I joined this board because well, sometimes the troll topics are fun.
    *Edit*

Perhaps I should change my post to make it a little more constructive. I agree with what Krypper said and I must admit that me and friends in-game enjoy coming to these forums to see nice debates in lore such as:

Who would win Scourge Army or Silithid Army?

At the same time it is funny to see the select few trolls who make funny comments since it provides a good laugh. My one friend was banned and he assumed it was a temporary ban, give him time to think about what he did. Been about 3 weeks now >.<

Whatever happened with that guy who was banning people for posting pictures of typewriters in the "show your WoW computer setup" thread?

I thought that was pretty unjustifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by fishface
    Your joking right? Since the change there have been no more "cool story bro" replies and other unconstructive, disrespectful drivel, with half the replies bringing nothing to the debate. Frankly the moderators need to maintain the current level of moderation till the trolls and meme-spouters are purged, else the forums will fall into a mess of /facepalm and lolcats again.
    okay then:

2-3 people are having a serious debate / discusion
    a few people join in and post coolstory bros and lolcats
    mods lock thread.

who loses? the trolls posting spam or the people who were engaged in conversation cut short.

locking / deleting threads just feeds trolls. its what they want... to disrupt order.

the problem with these mods is they dont know how to fight trolls, you dont remove a splinter from your finger by amputating your hand.

/b/ecause none of us are as cruel as all of us.

Deleted

okay then:

mods lock thread.

who loses? the trolls posting spam or the people who were engaged in conversation cut short.

locking / deleting threads just feeds trolls. its what they want... to disrupt order.
    I really hope that is not the case, because if it is, it's really bad. Really really bad.

I never post here as I commonly come here to look at posts for my enjoyment. And I was just reading over this one topic about a 10man failing on rotface and saw this

Why can't we do Rotface?

'Cause you're bad?

[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

I mean thats a little rediculous. Sure he was making a stupid comment but is it really ban worthy?

Yup, the mods are taking a "you must post what I approve of or you don't get to post at all" mentality and it is ruining the forums. Boub please help. Have a round table discussion or something sh*t.

Perhaps Bouibille should implement an infraction system, similar to that of Explosm Whereby mods can give temporary (24 hour/3 day/7 day) bans or time-outs. Each time a user get's infracted they get points depending on the severity of the offence (1 point for aolisms and memes, 3 for derailing or trolling 25 for an alt-account/Goatse) and if they reach 25 points they're banned.

This way users can learn from their mistakes. Also by not being banned outright they're going to accumulate more posts on the forums and become less anonymous (so they'll be less inclined to dick about if they get a reputation and are able to be called out etc).

Quote Originally Posted by cerebrum3000
    ^ This
    ^example of a redundant unconstructive post.

okay then:

mods lock thread.

the problem with these mods is they dont know how to fight trolls, you dont remove a splinter from your finger by amputating your hand.

Using your scenario the moderators need to clean out the spam but leave the thread intact, assuming it still contains information or discussions worth keeping. It's much easier if you simply pick out the name of whoever handled a situation incorrectly and report it to someone above the mods.

I've got no idea who's power tripping and who's not, but if none can supply a name for the guys to 'investigate' mods abusing their power, this thread serves no purpose but to blow off some steam.

Hahah, the mods must be really thinking about how to treat this thread. They can leave it and let tons of people voice how they're upset with them or lock it and send a final message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenarius
    You sir, is a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobs
    I never post here as I commonly come here to look at posts for my enjoyment. And I was just reading over this one topic about a 10man failing on rotface and saw this

Why can't we do Rotface?

'Cause you're bad?

I mean thats a little rediculous. Sure he was making a stupid comment but is it really ban worthy?
    It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

And yes, it's ban worthy. It's contentless, not constructive, and just a troll. It's a waste of Internet space.

Why would you want someone who spends his time to type that posting in the forums? Unbanned? It says a lot about his personality. He's not interested in contributing in any meaningful way. These people should be banned.

I imagine fixing the mindset of trash posters isn't possible but if there's a good enough "natural selection" until the point these forums become at least as readable as EJ or SA Forums, then it will be a major victory, so more powers to the moderators.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Hobs

Why can't we do Rotface?

'Cause you're bad?

IMHO, those kind of bans are deserved. If someone isn't adding nothing constructive, quite the opposite, to the discussion, than it's pointless to have that someone around.

Quote Originally Posted by Turina
    It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

And yes, it's ban worthy. It's contentless, not constructive, and just a troll. It's a waste of Internet space.

Why would you want someone who spends his time to type that posting in the forums? Unbanned? It says a lot about his personality. He's not interested in contributing in any meaningful way. These people should be banned.

I imagine fixing the mindset of trash posters isn't possible but if there's a good enough "natural selection" until the point these forums become at least as readable as EJ or SA Forums, then it will be a major victory, so more powers to the moderators.
    trolls are also those who waste there time fixing others spelling mistakes.

But honestly, you cant get rid of every person who does that and at some point just accept that its the way things are. Face the facts that is isnt EJ or SA and it is a broad WoW site and discussion forum used by any and all to talk about what is on their minds.

I like Fishface's suggestion

If the moderators are overmoderating - and by no means am I saying they are - then you should give it a bit to see if and how things settle down. He added something like 28 mods who are all probably pretty eager to get the forums more towards whatever boub's vision of the forums is. I have no idea what that is, but its his forum and you should probably make calls once he says "this is how I want the forums" to be on the front page, not when he literally just said "I'm still sorting things out".

I don't really notice any new moderation tactics and the forums seem much the same to me with a little bit less "quote <-this" and other drivel. But ultimately, its the guy's forum, and if he wants it to be "no fun" for you, then that's what you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror
    IMHO, those kind of bans are deserved. If someone isn't adding nothing constructive, quite the opposite, to the discussion, than it's pointless to have that someone around.
    Not all posts need to be constructive. If they provide humor to those reading it and at the same time it is irrelevant to the post it doesn't need to be removed or user banned or thread locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Trolltrolltroll
    I'll never understand why "cool story bro" needs to be bannable, it's just someone saying "you tried to make an argument there but it wasn't anything that was relevant to the overall topic"
    Because "cool story bro" became a response to virtually every thread, regardless of content.