Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Books/TV] Legend Of The Seeker/ Sword Of Truth

Ok, so last month I started watching legend of the seeker and have completely caught up, I thought the show to be fantastically done with amazing scenery and well filmed fight scenes. (not to mention Bridget Reagan /drool) Anyhow I liked the show so much I was inspired to read the books (currently on book 5) and I was amazed at how much better the books were from the show. It just blows my mind how blatant they were in changing the story and how wildly inaccurate it was. It could essentially be called professional fanfiction, but even fanfiction would have stuck to the storyline better. Don't get me wrong I love the show its just frustrating to see them change things they easily could have preserved. At any rate I'm curious as to what other ppl thought of this I know the general consensus among Terry Goodkind's existing fanbase is rage at the show but I'm interested in the opinions of people that were inspired to read the books after seeing the show.
    !!!!!GOOD NEWS, EVERYBODY!!!!!

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Legend Of The Seeker/ Sword Of Truth

I'm starting to read the books myself just now. I was amazed by the series and still am. You've said it all. Great scenery, great actors - it all adds up. I highly recommend this show to anyone who likes fantasy.
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Well im on the flip side I have been a fan of the books forever. One of the best fantasy series ever. So when I heard that they were making a show abought it I was like AWSOME! But after a few episodes I was pissed. The show has little to do with the acual events in the book.

But I still watch an episode every now and then. I just have to watch it for the show its self and try to forget its related to the books at all. Because when I start yelling OMG that didnt happen at all in the book, I get mad and stop watching. BUT if I watch it and be like hey thats a cool fight scene or whatever then I usually will finish it.

So if you like the tv show. Then I suggest reading the books because you will fall in love with them.

10+ Year Old Account

yeah gotta say I've been a fan of the book series since.......well pretty much ever, and I've been watching the series since it started and I've gotta say although I like it I have to keep reminding myself not to nerdrage TOO hard. Sam Raimi has done a decent job, but the story is just too wrong for me to get into the series, every time I think they're pulling it more towards the 'real' arc, they shoot off again into some random tangent (see last week episode 'Dark' and it's terri-bad handling of the Sister of the Light/Sisters of the Dark Story line, and where the hell was NATHAN! one of the best chars in the series :'( ) what you have to do when watching this is just remember it's Sword of Truth, but a heavily sanitised version, cleansed for Prime Time TV, so they had to really tone down the series.

the next few episodes will be very important, if the 'Great Evil' (or whatever) that they mentioned last week is the Sisters of the Dark and that lame ass excuse for Nicci, then the show will invariable fail HARD. BUT if they stick with the books, bring down the barrier and unleash the Imperial Order on the Midlands, with all that carries with it, plus have Richard come into his heritage as a War Wizard, then they could just about Salvage this.

but to be honest this thread fills me with a special fuzzy feeling, as no matter HOW bad the show is, if it gets people who hadn't previously to pick up copies of probably one of, if not THE best, Epic Fantasy series ever writen, then I'll never say a bad word about it

P.S. Bridget Reagan and Tabrett Bethell are both omnomnom good
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I have read all books some time ago. I must say i was really excited when i heard they're going to create series based on this fantastic saga. Oh boy was i screwed! I think the most painful thing in this entire escapade is that the story is modified so vastly, it's even more salt in my soul when you realise that Terry is actually involved in this series and every single one of modifications of storyline was approved by him.

I don't want to say too much, because my predecessors wrote basically what i have in mind. And if by any chance you're going to pick up those books after watching the series, it's better for you. You are absolutely going to love it. There are some flaws in logic inside the books, especially in the middle tomes. But regardless of that you will live the story Oh, and when you're done, grab Wheels of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire later :P

So, i've just started to read the books, im a little bit into the first book. After i saw the serie and read some forums about how much better the book is i just had to read them. From the few pages i have read i must say that i like the books alot more. The very explained small details that really creates a picture in your head is awesome.

I will continue to watch the show while im reading the books even tho i think the show ruins the books. Im just to in love with the fight scenes in the serie that i have to watch it.

I read and was a huge fan of the books, and I was actually pretty amped when I saw they were going to make it into a series. Then i finally get a chance to watch the series and UGH. I understand changing a lot of things to make it suitable for TV but to completely change the whole story line at times is just annoying. I know its stupid that i let little things annoy me but i cant stand some shit. Kahlan being a brunette and Deanna running around causing havoc even though she should have died 3x's over already just grinds my gears. I would suggest anyone who enjoys this genre to read the books because they were epic.

15+ Year Old Account

I’m like a lot of you in that I was absolutely stoked when I heard they were making the books into a series. I love the Sword of Truth series and really enjoyed the story. But unlike a lot of people, I also love the TV series because I understand how the medium works.

The core of it is the same story, but you have to understand that the books were not written in a serial format (like Dickens was renowned for). They were a continuos fantasy story. The TV programme is similar in that it is a continuos story, but it veers from the books considerably, as each episode has to be more of a standalone adventure.

My only qualm is that there are too many Kiwi actors doing fake American accents, and it just sounds wrong. I've said it elsewhere, but if they would just take a page from Sam Neill (a famour New Zealand actor) and speak with their natural accent, rather than trying to force their words to American pronunciation, it wouldn't make us cringe quite so much.

I'm one episode behind right now, but will play catchup on the weekend, hopefully. This season is turning out to be pretty darn amazing, too. I love the fight scenes especially!
    For the Alliance!

They're about to start showing this series in Sweden. I guess I should give it a shot. To see if it's another generic fantasy thing or not.

I really like the books. I'm at book eight now, which doesn't seem all that far, but I don't have that much time to read (half an hour before bed time at most) and I am reading like that 10 different series at the same time (no, not books at the same time...). So, I'm not progressing that fast.

I usually don't like series or movies that are 'based' on books and therefore I have not watched this series and probably never will. Reading most of the comments here doesn't help either ;-)

Unlike you guys I haven't read any of the books, but I do love the TV show. The story is very engaging and entertaining, I barely notice the hour fly by.
    As for the books, there's a lesson I learned with lord of the rings: I'll only read the books when the TV show is over, so as not to spoil the story... and yeah I realize how long that will be

this TV show is really goood.. must watch if you want to get an insight into the upcoming WoW movie due to the fact that the producer Sam Raimi also does this.

visually spectacular at times and captivating story make all for very good television
    9/10

(Caylin and the Ageal chick are hot omnomnom)
    "A real man makes his own luck" - Billy Zane, Titanic.

Never read the books, but I love the show.

I suppose it's better if you just treat the show as a separate entity from the books.

15+ Year Old Account

I just watched episode 13 (an episode behind, again), and it was the best one of the season so far. Made me crack up heaps.
    For the Alliance!

I agree, it was hilarious

As for being one episode behind, the next episode is scheduled for march 20, so the episode you saw is in fact the latest one.

15+ Year Old Account

Yeah, but I still watched it a week late! And I didn't realise that until I went to EZTV. I thought my RSS feed was playing up until I saw that both Seeker and Smallville have a small break.
    For the Alliance!

After having seen a few episodes, or rather after having tried to endure the crap that it was, I've come to the conclussion that it was not worth my time.

Just another bad, generic fantasy setting.

Acting, effects, story, background....it's actually pretty bad

Pssshhh Kevin Sorbo could kick the seekers ass.
    Honestly I don;t care for it like hercules ot xena with a little getter acting and no coll monsters.
    In my netfix instant so I may give it another shot.

i like the show a lot but i haven't read the books. the girls are REALLY hot and while it may not be A level production its still better than any tv fantasy series i've watched. almost everyone i've seen thats read the books first tends to hate the show tho.