Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    Gojira sounds absolutely nothing like Strapping Young Lad, are you insane? Gojira has influences, such as Meshuggah, but not Strapping Young Lad. And saying something sounds like Morbid Angel is a bit disingenuous considering Morbid Angel is the epitomy of the generic death metal band. A band with absolutely zero identity that simply apes the stereotypes of the style.
    You're really quite entertaining in naming the bands that created the very sound you call stereotypes 'zero identity' clones that 'ape' the sound. Morbid Angel, Nile and Cannibal Corpse are genre defining. They created the sound you call a stereotype.*

Seeing the above, I think I can pretty much safely discount anything you say upon the topic.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2010-08-08 at 02:54 PM. Reason: // * alongside a couple other bands, naturally. Such as Death or Entombed.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to espouse completely dull and unoriginal bands as the most important and best death metal bands, then it is good that you are not going to take into account my viewpoint because I certainly will not even remotely take into account yours, except for when you recommend something, I will know to avoid it like the plague.

Good day.

i like doom metal. slowwwwwwww

Sunn O))) is great

Khanate is better

This thread needs more Winds of Plague

Deathcore is NOT the same as Death Metal, but hey...
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2010-08-11 at 10:07 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

It's all metal to me. I could give a damn about labels. Deathcore, Mathcore, Death Metal, Black Metal, TechDeath, Mellow Death, Symphonic Death Tech Brutal Black Metal...It's the same thing, different package with a few cool additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post

How could anyone enjoy that thing? seriously

I have tried, over and over... I can't like music that sucks... it goes against my musical nature...
    Shiny shiny epics. NO NO, look with your eyes, not with your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    Symphonic Death Tech Brutal Black Metal...It's the same thing, different package with a few cool additions.
    It would be Brutal Technical Symphonic Black(ened) Death Metal in that order. If it's really more black than death then I suppose even "deathened black metal" would work.
    That was tongue-in-cheek, yes.

As for on topic, I don't first of all really see the need to separate this from the main metal thread.
    I still admit to liking death metal as one of the main metal subgenres. Melodic death metal is the more notable with several bands that I enjoy, but the other kinds get some love too with acts such as Atheist, Immolation, Bloodbath, Gorguts, Gojira etc. I do especially like it when the music is bit more progressive or mixed with multiple styles as the very generic compositions immediately yell "I've heard this before". Happens especially if the riffs aren't outstanding either so you don't have much of anything to build on.

It is bit of a heresy yet on the other hand I admit never really bothering to check out too many of the usual death metal bands. I've never for example listened to a full album by Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, CC, Morbid Angel or Death. For the latter I have some plans considering I heard their sound has taken bit of a more interesting direction so it could well be worth approaching, but mostly with others I've tested I simply don't get pumped up in any way. Immolation and Bloodbath were positive surprises.

On the other hand, I don't mosh either and outside of few special cases feel silly headbanging.
    Last edited by Keoren; 2010-08-14 at 08:38 PM.

It is bit of a heresy yet on the other hand I admit never really bothering to check out too many of the usual death metal bands. I've never for example listened to a full album by Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, CC, Morbid Angel or Death. For the latter I have some plans considering I heard their sound has taken bit of a more interesting direction so it could well be worth approaching, but mostly with others I've tested I simply don't get pumped up in any way. Immolation and Bloodbath were positive surprises.
    If you want more progressive stuff instead of just brutal riffs and drumming, check out Death's last 4 albums. Te 3 first ones was just Brutal DM, but on Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance is more prog. Chuck Shuldiner moved more away from the raw sound to a more technical progressive sound with every album. The 4 last albums also have very intelligent lyrics that actually makes one think, something that is rare in music nowadays.

Melodeath is also one of my favourite genres (Finland ftw!), but it's a completely differnt sound compared to "normal" Death Metal.

And to the guy who said something along the lines of: "I just can't listen to bad and shitty music".

-These kind of bands probably have more talent and are more skilled both technically and musically than any of the bands you listen to.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2010-08-14 at 10:21 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    If you want more progressive stuff instead of just brutal riffs and drumming, check out Death's last 4 albums. Te 3 first ones was just Brutal DM, but on Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance is more prog. Chuck Shuldiner moved more away from the raw sound to a more technical progressive sound with every album. The 4 last albums also have very intelligent lyrics that actually makes one think, something that is rare in music nowadays.
    Thanks for pointing out on which albums they went for a change. I had heard of it yet had no idea how recent it was so now I know where to start. I'll probably try the early albums later on too.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you prefer clean vocals, you can have a go with Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence. It's basically Death with a power/heavy metal vocalist. Actually works surprisingly well. Chuck got tired of doing the vocals himself and tried to get out of doing them. When he was stuck being the vocalist *again* on the last Death album, he got pretty down about it. I'm still curious about the second Control Denied.

And stating you dislike Cryptopsy is a bit awkward. They've really had a different sound over the years due to their different vocalists (Lord Worm sounds completely different from Mike DiSalvo). Their recent album again is a shift in sound, even featuring clean vocals.

//edit: Because I feel like it:
    Cryptopsy with Mike - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orGpXz9Mrcg
    Death: Spirit Crusher from the Sound of Perseverance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyl_p1z9Nw
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2010-08-16 at 04:34 PM.

I didn't state that I dislike Cryptopsy. I was saying I never even listened to an album by them, or many other death metal bands.
    As for vocals I don't really have preference with clean or cookie monster singing. It depends on the music, whatever fits.

Checking the links now.

EDIT: Death wasn't too bad. Would probably give the full album a shot based on that.
    Cryptopsy I thought had instrumentally some impressive and powerful moments, but never came across too distinct compared to quite a few other death metal bands I've heard. Vocalist left me wondering if that style was the best choice for the song.
    Last edited by Keoren; 2010-08-16 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a go with some Lord Worm stuff then. It's a much more 'standard' grunt. It's mostly a matter of taste I suppose. I just prefer the gruf barking of Mike.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mike Disalvo was a very poor fit for Cryptopsy. He's not a death metal singer, he's a hardcore singer. As such, his hardcore yell does not fit even remotely with a technical death metal style. Lord Worm is undeniably dramatically superior.

Here's some good death metal:

Edge of Sanity - Elegy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZT8bXAt48

Neuraxis - Truth Beyond Recognition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psbnj6WhWFA

Dark Tranquillity - Of Chaos and Eternal Night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MFVig-ae94

---------- Post added 2010-08-18 at 01:57 AM ----------

And of course, a good Cryptopsy song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQuX7pCiPo

Just gonna put it out there: I liked Mike DiSalvo a lot on Whisper Supremacy and I don't think Lord Worm would've done a better job. I completely agree when it comes to And Then You'll Beg though.

Flame all you want. It's still better than most of the stuff here where you can't make out a single word of what they're saying while overkilling their drumset.
    Last edited by kliffharry; 2010-08-20 at 08:51 PM.

Flame all you want. It's still better than most of the stuff here where you can't make out a single word of what they're saying while overkilling their drumset.
    Why did u even post that? Just to start a flame-war, or what? You already posted it in the thread where a guy was asking how ppl can listen to music with non-clean vocals
    Holyfury armory

hell yeah

for me the best death album of the last decade
    Last edited by Agathon; 2010-08-21 at 01:24 PM.

Love the Entombed - Left Hand Path chainsaw guitars
    Holyfury armory