Thread: Odd FPS issue.

Deleted

Odd FPS issue.

Posting in the correct forum this time!

Heya,

I'm having a really weird FPS issue lately.
    What happens is the following:

- In dalaran, fine FPS, around 60.
    - Same can be said for 25 man raids (40-50)
    - Out of combat, same thing (60 fps)

This is the problem:

- During combat when others attack (40-60 fps depending on the raid)
    - During combat when I attack myself my FPS plummets to 5-7.

What I've done:
    - Deleted all addons, Cache, WTF, and interface files.
    - Repaired WoW
    - Reinstalled WoW
    - Changed the Config file (the imac problem, that opengl line.)
    - Checked GFX card drivers
    - Checked motherboard drivers
    - Checked the actual videocard + RAM
    - Tested my hardware
    - Checked Router/network
    - Checked ALL ingame settings

I've basically done everything I can.
    This is ofcourse, without addons. I'm not sure if this occured ever since 3.3.0, but I am suspecting it.

My rig:

- AMD Athlon Dual Core 6000 @ 3.4ghz
    - ATI 3850HD clocked to the max
    - ASRock ALiveDual Esata-2 MOBO
    - 4 gigs of Kingston Dual Channel RAM
    - Windows XP Professional. Updating to Windows 7 soon.

Thanks for help in advance.

PS. This 'problem' gets even worse when I have a few addons. I can't even run DBM or Bartender or any other 'general' addon. It's really strange of what's happening.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....QexXn42P0qGeN0

Re: Odd FPS issue.

oh dear... thats a wierd one. Could you tell us what class you play and what exactly do you mean by 'attack' - melee swing? spell? melee move? ranged as in shooting?

Would you say that this lag occurs whenever you imput any command for you character? or just attacks?

Sounds pretty weird to me but the only 2 things I have to recommend are:
    -Try running at stock speeds for both your CPU and video card
    -Check to make sure that there is no dust accumulated on any heatsinks/fans you have in your PC because this could lead to your system overheating and downclocking itself.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Try to run some memtest programs and wait to seee if you have errors.
    Playing WoW is hella good thing

Deleted

It's on melee swings yes, since I play a Rogue, same for my warrior.
    This only occurs on attacks.
    I already put my processor/GPU on stock speeds, and memtest didn't do anything for me.

The framerate does recover when I stop attacking.

Deleted

-Go to your chat boxes and right click on the one titled "Combat Log"
    -Go into "Settings"
    -Choose the first box titled "Self" you should see several boxes below that tiled "Me", "Pet", "Friends" etc.
    -Uncheck every box with a check mark in it.

-Now click on the box titled "Everything"
    -Rinse and repeat

Do this for every box you see in your combat log, "Self", "Everything", "What Happened To Me", and "Kills" . Hope this helps!
    Quoted from http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...48547166&sid=1 <--

Maybe it'll help? Give it a try (You're basically disabling your combat log this way)

15+ Year Old Account

I was going to suggest disabling the combat log as a test. I don't see it as a long-term fix, as obviously he may want that information. It does sound like your system is bogging down due to the combat log (at least it's the only explanation I can really come up with).

I would try disabling the combat log as a troubleshooting method to see what happens. If that clears up your issue, then I'm not too sure what to suggest. Your CPU is more than enough to handle raid-level combat log processing. Perhaps load up CPU-Z and watch it while running a burn-in stress test in Prime95 (you don't need to do the account crap to do a stress test with the software). The main thing you'd be looking at is CPU frequency. It's possible that your CPU is downclocking itself during heavy loads, causing an fps loss.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest other than potential hardware failures (PSU?).

Try to turn off sound. It may sound stupid but I saw similar problem and this fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich King
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear."

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    I was going to suggest disabling the combat log as a test. I don't see it as a long-term fix, as obviously he may want that information. It does sound like your system is bogging down due to the combat log (at least it's the only explanation I can really come up with).

I would try disabling the combat log as a troubleshooting method to see what happens. If that clears up your issue, then I'm not too sure what to suggest. Your CPU is more than enough to handle raid-level combat log processing. Perhaps load up CPU-Z and watch it while running a burn-in stress test in Prime95 (you don't need to do the account crap to do a stress test with the software). The main thing you'd be looking at is CPU frequency. It's possible that your CPU is downclocking itself during heavy loads, causing an fps loss.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest other than potential hardware failures (PSU?).
    I've already 'fixed' the Combat log, it's completely disabled. I'll check the downclocking thing, I hope it's going to give me a result.
    I'm installing patch 3.2.2 atm, maybe that's a fix :P
    I'll see what happens after it's done.

Deleted

No CPU downclocking whatsoever, issue still persists.
    Also turned off sounds. :\

Edit: going for another clean install before my Lich Kingy raid tonight.. I hope this is gonna work. :|

15+ Year Old Account

Do you have any temperature montioring software? If not, you could grab HWMonitor and check your temps with it to make sure they're not getting too high.

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws now. If the CPU isn't downclocking/overheating, combat log is off, mods are disabled, and it's only when you attack... I just... umm... yeah.

Deleted

Fixed it! No clue how, but I just reinstalled WoW again and it fixed itself.
    I'm so happy and relieved, it sucks being in a hardcore guild and getting stuff like that.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Proioxis
    Fixed it! No clue how, but I just reinstalled WoW again and it fixed itself.
    I'm so happy and relieved, it sucks being in a hardcore guild and getting stuff like that.
    That's wierd, as you already tried that before, but I'm glad it's working again. Have fun raiding!