Thread: New Priest

New Priest

I was wondering if you guys could give me your thought and input on the best leveling spec for a priest ONLY running instances to level up. I plan to be a healer, and do have healing experience with a Paladin and Shaman up to 80. I'm also starting this guy on a new server so I won't have any of my BoA gear if that makes a difference. And was wondering what spec makes the better instance healer leveling up, Disc or Holy? Or a mix?

Also what glyphs should I grab, and what recommended order would you recommend getting them in.

Thanks in advance, and I know there's a leveling guide stickied but its for soloing priests, which I don't plan to do very much of at all.

Re: New Priest

Hi Bling,

Disc is propably still the best to level and then heal in instances as it deals damage and heal.

i would probably at 40 get duel spec (if you can ofc) to go holy/shadow as this would level you up faster and provide a good sense of what the priest is all about (I.E. HOLY).

i dont realy go for glyphs at low levels...put it is probs just me.

Here is a site that will help you decide:
    http://www.wowpopular.com/Priest/Talents

It has realy helped me level characters.
    simple to use just click the boxes on the left.
    this should give you alot more information.

Also see this post,
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-pr...eveling-guide/

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Kuras.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuras

provide a good sense of what the priest is all about (I.E. HOLY).

i dont realy go for glyphs at low levels...put it is probs just me.
    Since when is Priest all about holy ?

@OP

I would go for a Discipline spec without a doubt.

Holy is not nearly as mana efficient as Disc.

So i would definetly go discipline with a spec like this :
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbu...fRtbhtc:bzZ0MV

Do not spec into absolution nor aspiration until you have the final tier (Penance) - Then spec into aspiration, max out the things you have not maxed out to reach penance and start building up your holy tree. Desperate Prayer is optional, but can be handy if fade and tank does not do the job.
    When your holy tree is done, use your last 3 points in absolution.

Glyphs:
    1# Glyph of PW:S (Lvl 15) - I really like this one for topping up dps and tank and gives you some extra healing for your buck.
    2# Glyph of dispell magic (Lvl 18) - Nice for some extra healing now that you already are using a gcd (remove this at lvl 60 for glyph of penance).

Minor Glyphs :
    Somewhat up to your self.
    But Minor glyph of shadowfiend(lvl 66) and fade(lvl 15) is a must in my opinion.
    The minor glyph of fortitude is simply because buffing is expensive and tanks tend to be triggerhappy.

Do what you can to stay ahead of the game - Though I am sure you already knew that !

---
    You dont really need a dualspec unless you want to go shadow and grind while waiting on randoms.
    (I lvled as disc - you dont kill things as fast, but on the other hand they can't kill you either )

As for gearing - Just stack as much intellect as possible.

Gear like : INT>SP>HASTE/CRIT

In my opinion - Do not sacrifice spellpower over intellect - Because when you are doing low-lvl/mid-lvl dungeons you will encounter tanks with no respect for manabreaks.

And as a healer in leveling dungeons your strongest weapon against evil is your manapool - since only bad pulls will make the tank take so much dmg that the average healer can not keep him up.

Quote Originally Posted by IgotRICKrolled
    Since when is Priest all about holy ?
    ^^ from my personal opinion i never got on with disc (unless in pvp) so holy/shadow is (and always be) my talents.

so don't slaughter me for my opinion! :P we are on the same side! (even if you have fallen fowl to the alliance :'()

Kuras.

Until level 60-65 or so, you can heal any instance as any priest spec, shadow included. The only thing holy offers over disc or shadow is stronger heals, which is utterly unnecessary until late outland. The only thing disc offers over shadow is better tools (fast massdispel, strong shields, penance, PS, PI), which don't really matter all that much until you start seeing tanks getting all but oneshot, and fights with DPS checks.

Just make sure to get Meditation (vital for any spec), and for your own sake, dip some points into Spirit Tap for efficiency between raids. And bring water. Lots of water. Befriend a mage!

The only reason to go holy while levelling is for the playstyle experience. That's actually a good argument, but pretty much the only one.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    Until level 60-65 or so, you can heal any instance as any priest spec, shadow included. The only thing holy offers over disc or shadow is stronger heals, which is utterly unnecessary until late outland. The only thing disc offers over shadow is better tools (fast massdispel, strong shields, penance, PS, PI), which don't really matter all that much until you start seeing tanks getting all but oneshot, and fights with DPS checks.

Just make sure to get Meditation (vital for any spec), and for your own sake, dip some points into Spirit Tap for efficiency between raids. And bring water. Lots of water. Befriend a mage!

The only reason to go holy while levelling is for the playstyle experience. That's actually a good argument, but pretty much the only one.
    You are certainly right about that you can heal with any spec ! - but the fact that he asked what the best spec was for dungeon healing - kinda outrules shadow ?! and thereby makes your post less on topic.

Besides I found the PW:S with no cd in dungeons as a massive tool.

You mention fast mass dispell - Well you dont get that until lvl 70 so that diminishes the need to take it into consideration - Since you at that lvl already know wether disc/holy (maybe shadow ?? ) is your preffered healing spec for dungeons.

So even though I respect your work danner, I still think that you are a bit off in this thread.

/salute

I forgot about Soul Warding. That's definitively the best low-level disc util around. Thanks ^^
    And yes, mass dispel is not. That's a lvl 70 spell, as you point out.

Points taken and accepted. I was a bit hasty here. Never read the forums 10 minutes before the bus to work leaves :P
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    Points taken and accepted. I was a bit hasty here. Never read the forums 10 minutes before the bus to work leaves :P
    We've all done it ^^