Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

What should I be doing dps-wise?

Hey all, let's start with a link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l&cn=Tremulous

I'd like to think I'm pretty well geared, and I feel I'm at the point where I should can stop worrying so much about gear and worry more about other issues like physically hitting keys faster, keybinds, etc. I pulled about 7400 dps on Festergut 25 last Thursday, I think that's good but am I wrong? Each fight is different, I'm lucky to break 5000 on Marrowgar cuz it seems those flames are always aiming for me. Deathwhisper I do great on (because I'm assigned to her most of the time). Should I have a lot more with this gear? I've read the Shadow Priest DPS 101 thread of course, and have an opening rotation of VT, MB, DP, MFx3, SW:P at which point I just refresh what needs to be refreshed. I use Event Horizon and while I'm not great at fitting in a SW when appropriate (1 GCD wait until spell ready to use) I'm working on it. I also try to use SW while moving as recommended.

As for my keyboard, I have VT on 1, DP on 2, MB on 3, MF on 4, SW:P on 5, and SW on 6. I basically just reach up and hit what needs to be hit, so would keybinds help? If so why/link a guide if you could please.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions it's greatly appreciated. I really want to help my guild get down Rotface and beyond on ICC25. Also, I know my trinkets suck balls, and as soon as I can get the Spyglass and/or Reign believe me I'm all over it. That's my biggest thorn in my side right now. Am also about 40 badges away from gloves for 4-pc T10 unless I get lucky in VOA which would be nice.

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: What should I be doing dps-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Strykie
    You took that ring over healers, wow.

For that, you wont get my expert advice.

way to not get 4set, nice cape lololol.
    Maybe he had a worse ring and all healers already had that ring?

1 hit rating away from being capped .

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

You took that ring over healers, wow.

For that, you wont get my expert advice.

way to not get 4set, nice cape lololol.
    I bought that ring in Dal from someone who was selling it for 4k, thanks. Hard to pass that up. The cape was the first item I bought with badges, another week waiting to see if I get legs or gloves in VOA isn't going to kill me so I'm okay with that.

Guess I'll just have to survive without your expert advice.

Quote Originally Posted by supa
    1 hit rating away from being capped .
    See, this is something I wonder about...can I get away with this? Or should I really have 289? I can switch out gear at this point to either have 288 or 315 hit, I decided to go with 288 as I figured it's close enough it wouldn't cause issues. If someone thinks otherwise though I'd love to hear about it.

IMO you should be pulling atleast 9k if you're playing right

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Azumel
    Okay, cool. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to provide other information I didn't here? Should I be using something else besides Event Horizon?

I did 9.1k on Putricide 25 man with a loot trained demo lock for max demo pact effect + 4pc and decent off pieces.

Yet this guy who has less gear than me, lacks 4 set has a chance at doing 9k?

Seriously, get a clue.

To prevent this thread going any longer than it already has, your dps is slightly less than optimal, aim for ~7800.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I did 9.1k on Putricide 25 man with a loot trained demo lock for max demo pact effect + 4pc and decent off pieces.

Yet this guy who has less gear than me, lacks 4 set has a chance at doing 9k?

Seriously, get a clue.

To prevent this thread going any longer than it already has, your dps is slightly less than optimal, aim for ~7800.
    Thank you.

U can dó better dps ón marrowgar if u stand whit the melee

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?
    ARE U SERIOUS? 9k?!
    Man i got 300 sp 1% crit and 200 haste more than him and i got 4set...
    and on a tank and spank fight with full raid buffs i might get to 9-10k IF i do the rotation perfectly and i don't even lose a sec of DPSing... maaan get real

Now about what u can do better. I tend to prefer the mf x 3 mf x3 vt dp sw:P mb opening rotation while poping a haste potion before the fight starts... but yeh it's not much of a difference. Now besides that ... get an addon that shows u when the next tick of every dot is ... when u know it's time to move and u won't be able to get in contact with the boss for some time ( sindragosa for instance ) look at the next tick timer and recast ur dot to be reapplied exactly when the tick hits for maximum effectiveness. Now besides that just sit infront of a dummy and practise :P that will help alot

Cheers
    Zoulis

EDIT: Sorry for the edit but i read the 9k dps post and i went nuts and i forgot what the topic was a bout so i had to edit it to help :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Btw :P reroll Troll
    that 10% haste is imba...

i'm trying to convince our guild master to reroll the guild to horde so i can go troll and get berserk :P :P :P
    so far no luck

Cheers
    Zoulis

EDIT: Typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

All I can say is it's obvious you didn't read the sticky all that carefully, you haven't analysed your cast rotation, you make no mention of what your DoT uptimes are... I bet 100% you haven't even looked at a combat log. Trying to tell you what you're doing wrong is just pure speculation.

As is telling him he should be doing 7800 DPS or any other arbitary figure. Your DPS figure is going to change substantially depending on your composition of raid buffs, lag and what you're asked to do in your guild's attempts.

Combat log your raids and start analysing data to see how far away you are from the theoretical max spell casts.

The main thing to increasing your DPS is making sure that VT and DP have had thier last tick before renewing, alot of people i know that do "decent" DPS miss this, and is why they only pull 7.8-8.2k DPS on fights such as Festergut.

4pct10 will also help your dps a fair bit too mate, so sooner you get it, the more dps you will do.

Also, to also enquire, what is the normal set up that you guild runs with?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    All I can say is it's obvious you didn't read the sticky all that carefully, you haven't analysed your cast rotation, you make no mention of what your DoT uptimes are... I bet 100% you haven't even looked at a combat log. Trying to tell you what you're doing wrong is just pure speculation.

As is telling him he should be doing 7800 DPS or any other arbitary figure. Your DPS figure is going to change substantially depending on your composition of raid buffs, lag and what you're asked to do in your guild's attempts.

Combat log your raids and start analysing data to see how far away you are from the theoretical max spell casts.
    I was hoping to avoid this, but the reality is I can't I guess. I've created my guild on World of Logs and hopefully I'll have a combat log for your perusal late Tuesday night. I'll also analyse my DoT uptimes as well. As far as that goes I was simply relying on Event Horizon and just trying to be as quick as possible but I'll work on getting hard numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificate
    I was hoping to avoid this, but the reality is I can't I guess. I've created my guild on World of Logs and hopefully I'll have a combat log for your perusal late Tuesday night. I'll also analyse my DoT uptimes as well. As far as that goes I was simply relying on Event Horizon and just trying to be as quick as possible but I'll work on getting hard numbers.
    First thing to do for DPS analysis is assume nothing... you might feel you pull off the spriest rotation/priority perfectly but i've seen people cast MB every 10 seconds who swore black and white at me their rotation was perfect.

That's only part of the story but fixing this aspect of DPS usually has a greater effect then maximising your gear to which people spend far too much energy on. If you are truly playing optimally you'll find that gear upgrades have a very small impact... an item upgrade might increase your SP by 10 and give you 0.5% crit... that's nothing compared to understanding your DoTs were only up 70% of the time or some other such mistake.

Then when you know you're not achieving whatever it is you can attempt to understand why. Is your UI poor, do you have bad lag, is there some sort of buff you need to track?

Lastly the log will confirm to you what buffs are present, are you ensuring SW:P is cast with full debuffs, are you even tracking when they are present? Can you present a case to your guild to get a missing raid buff?

Asking these questions and quantifying them with a log will be much more effective than getting people telling you should be doign about 7.8k dps and that they are shit hot and can do 9k... dps is relative on so many factors that picking figures out of thin air doesn't accomplish much.

One other thought... not everyone is into such detailed analysis which I can appreciate. We all play at different levels... you could download an application like rawr and see what it thinks your max dps is.

But be careful because the information you get out of Rawr is only as good as the info you put in. That means you need accurate lag values, movement values, raid buffs present... and even then I wouldn't look at that dps figure as gospel but it should give you an idea if you're within the ballpark.

If for example rawr told you 7.6K dps and you could only ever hit 7.4 when the stars allign it's telling you you're pretty close... on the other side you might hit 8K in which case some assumptions may be incorrect or you may need to tweak your raid buffs, movement and lag values.

In any case it's a bit less intensive than combat log analysis, but it's not going to tell you what you're doing wrong if you can't hit that number. In which case you're back to combat log analysis for answers.