Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

are paladins fun to play as?

i want to start playing wow again and im thinking of creating a paladin. are they easy to dps with, and are there a lot of them to where u can't get into any raids because there is already to many of them in that raid like dk's?

Re: are paladins fun to play as?

There is a lot of dps everywhere...of all kinds.

Getting into a pug raid will take patience. Unless you go tank/heals as offspec

but they are fun i suppose

dunno ...paladins seem rare for our guild had another holy pally on recruitment almost 100% of the time since naxx ( wotlk naxx )
    Vote Pengu for president!
    "For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons."

On my server I do notice there are a lot of pallys floating around, but I never see too many of them trying to get into raids as ret. My assumption would be that a lot of them are heals and tank.

Pallys are one of the easier classes to dps with.

well in terms of easiness i dont think it gets much easier in terms of melle dps.
    and i think there boring to play as, in saying that they are the second most played class in game atm according to WoW Census so it might not be easy to get into raids with them, dunno, just my opinion, and many paladins in this forum will more than likely say im wrong, but thats what you want i suppose a paladin's say. anyway GL with making your choice

Edit:
    Paladin dps involves nothing more than pressing the buttons when they come off cooldown.
    and i was told about something on wow.com (i think).
    it was a difficulty rating of all class's/spec's dps on a scale of 1 to 10. paladins were the only class at 1 out of ten.
    thats my take on it anyway.
    you may /agree
    or /disagree
    but /idc
    Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    By this logic the moon is more important than the sun. The sun gives us light in the day when we don't need it, but the moon gives us light at night when we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    "Warcraft isn't going to end as long as there still are Orcs."

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by yomyom
    Because rotations in general are hard, amirite?

To anyone who says otherwise: No.
    To anyone who mentions enh shammys or ferals: No.

if you want to dps don't roll a paladin

their dps is low compared to other classes when looked at on a similar gear/skill level

if you want to be able to play around and do different thing (dps/tank/heal) they are ok.

if you want strong melee dps go warrior/rogue

Paladins are the Flavor of the Month. Everyone and their brother is a Paladin, and Guilds are all full on recruitment for them.

They're a fun class to play with, even if at times it's like watching paint dry. So if your willing to fill A LOT of applications to guilds and risk being on stand-by most nights, have fun. But there are so many other classes that guilds don't have a surplus that you would have less of a hassle with.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Paladins are the FOTM. Everyone and their brother is a Paladin, and Guilds are all full on recruitment for them.

They're a fun class to play with, even if at times it's like watching paint dry. So if your willing to fill A LOT of applications to guilds and risk being on stand-by most nights, have fun. But there are so many other classes that guilds don't have a surplus that you would have less of a hassle with.
    everywhere i look people are recruiting for Boomkins and Ele shamans. they are also low dps wise compared to other classes but because of the buffs they offer they are sought after

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by yomyom
    On my server I do notice there are a lot of pallys floating around, but I never see too many of them trying to get into raids as ret. My assumption would be that a lot of them are heals and tank.

Actually, they are one of the hardest. A ret paladin has quite a lot of buttons to press and cooldowns to watch compared to the other DPS speccs.

For example, a fury warrior uses 4 buttons in PvE, maybe 7-8 if they want to play to the fullest while a ret paladin has to

1) keep the raid buffed
    2) switch auras (or coordinate them with the other paladins)
    3) switch between 3 seals, SoC for AoE trash, SoV for single target mobs with lots of health and bosses and SoR for single target fast dying mobs.
    4) their rotation uses 7 buttons (not counting freedom, salvation, bubble self healing etc)

Imo, Paladins are awesome
    Im not in the mood for explaining why paladins are awesome because its too late for that :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep
    Who is Athene, lol tought you meant the city at first :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla
    Worlds greatest paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stings
    Yes, and scientology is speaking the truth

I got my paladin to 73 and haven't played him in a loooooong time. They are not fun to play, whatsoever.
    80 Warlock, 80 Warrior, 80 Deathknight, 73 Paladin(Most boring class ever), and 70 Mage

Quote Originally Posted by ita
    Actually, they are one of the hardest. A ret paladin has quite a lot of buttons to press and cooldowns to watch compared to the other DPS speccs.

For example, a fury warrior uses 4 buttons in PvE, maybe 7-8 if they want to play to the fullest while a ret paladin has to

1) keep the raid buffed
    2) switch auras (or coordinate them with the other paladins)
    3) switch between 3 seals, SoC for AoE trash, SoV for single target mobs with lots of health and bosses and SoR for single target fast dying mobs.
    4) their rotation uses 7 buttons (not counting freedom, salvation, bubble self healing etc)

No, just no
    1: keeping the raid buffed is simple, somone says "ita do kings" you click kings, thats that done
    2: aura's are the same as 1
    3: Dont make picking a seal out to be a challenge
    4: your rotation is using abilities when they come of CD

Edit:
    out of curiosity what are those 7 abilities you use in your "rotation"
    DS, CS, hammer of wrath, judgement, consecration and exorcism are the only ones i can think of
    By this logic the moon is more important than the sun. The sun gives us light in the day when we don't need it, but the moon gives us light at night when we do.

Yes, I find my paladin extemely fun, but my idea of fun and yours wont be the same. Try it out and see if you like it, if not reroll. Don't listen to the haters. You can be good dps, heals or tank as a pally. People that say ret is easy need to compare to a few classes that are so much harder to play, but lets not get into that because thats not the point of this thread.

I'm gonna go ahead and post this log of this weeks' Saurfang kill for those that don't believe ret can do good dps. You're free to armory the other ppl at the top and look at their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Paladins are the Flavor of the Month.
    you do realize this is what they have been called ever since the 3.0 patch, get over it, they made a crappy dps spec viable all the while making it simplistic. Might as well call it this :

Flavor of the Wrath of the Lich King

FOTWOTLK : this is what i will call them from now just because you got killed by one in pvp once.

As someone that just dropped his Holy Paladin to go into the Feral (kitty) ways, I have to say that it depends on the person that's playing the paladin as well as what spec you're going after.

Overall Paladin's aren't really that hard to play. Out of the 3 specs available to them, the easiest one to play as is definitively Retribution, given that you can basically use whatever offensive ability you want in (almost) whatever order without any repercusion. Basically, ret is defined as a class that has to press buttons as they come out of cooldown.

Holy is maybe a tad more interesting than ret (and they're definitively valuable as single-target healers, since they have the strongest single-target healing spell in the game a.k.a. Holy Light) and yeah, it's pretty fun to play them. Though, most of the time you end up spamming only one or two buttons until they fall down from your keyboard (this be a true event, mon :P)

DPS-wise, Paladins are doing actually pretty good. Remember seeing a chart somewhere and paladins were among the top damage dealers. Now, as to whether they're fun to use or not it'll depend on you mostly :P I, for once, think Pally dps is a bit lack-luster, hence I rerolled kitty :P

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by murchú
    No, just no
    1: keeping the raid buffed is simple, somone says "ita do kings" you click kings, thats that done
    2: aura's are the same as 1
    3: Dont make picking a seal out to be a challenge
    4: your rotation is using abilities when they come of CD
    1. You do realize that you need to buff 10 classes separately + when someone dies. It's actually the greatest challenge when playing a paladin as so many fail at it.

2. They add up. A good paladin knows when to switch to frost resist or fire resist or back to ret aura.

3. Again, they add up, a good paladin may want to switch the seal multiple times in a fight. (for example at Deathwhisper, SoC on the adds and switch back to SoV when dpsing the boss)

4. it most certainly is not, try playing a paladin with 2p t 10 bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Deathflame
    Because rotations in general are hard, amirite?

To anyone who says otherwise: No.
    To anyone who mentions enh shammys or ferals: No.
    Paladin is the easiest class to play with, and facerolling at it's finest.
    Oh, and think again when saying Enhancement Shamans and Feral Druids got an easy rotation.
    Now try to change facerelling and try one of those two classes, and then let me know if they have easy rotations or not.
    " Now either he's going to reply: Yes I have an Enhance shaman and feral and they're easy blablabla, lying ofcourse, or he's going to be stubborn and and start flaming like a kid".
    Loladins...
    On topic: They are fun ofcourse, due to how easy the class and able to fulfill his role with ease, not to mention certain immunities.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by teirst
    if you want to dps don't roll a paladin

their dps is low compared to other classes when looked at on a similar gear/skill level

if you want to be able to play around and do different thing (dps/tank/heal) they are ok.

if you want strong melee dps go warrior/rogue

ive seen pallies that do 11k on festergut and saurfang so i have no idea wth you're talking about.

the only thing they lack in is switching targets but thats what SoC is for amirite??
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Quote Originally Posted by ita
    1. You do realize that you need to buff 10 classes separately + when someone dies. It's actually the greatest challenge when playing a paladin as so many fail at it.
    the greatest challenge of a paladin is buffing the raid?

I hope you read that OP