Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Disc - Getting low on Spirit :o?

Right to start with,
    this is my armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...light&cn=Pyrah
    and for those that preffer wow-heroes: http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?...ncritame=pyrah

Since 3.3 I've been rly focussing on not getting to much spirit gear and more with haste - crit - int. I'm starting to think i'm actually running quiet low on spirit eventhought i'm disc, without even rly noticing i did indeed ran low on Spirit. I dont know what other think about it, atm i have 397 spirit.

As for evrything else; I'd like to explain my gear/gem/specc choice

Gear: I got 3 pieces shadow tier10, just because statswise its way better then going for the setbonus of the holy T10. The offspec gloves and the crafted leggings / feet. I'm not rly sure about my trinkets yet..

Gems: I used to be addicted for going for the gem-bonus on gear if it wasnt +spirit/mp5 so I used spellpower or sp/int for red-yellow sockets, sp/mp5 for blue. Now i stepped away from that. I mainly focus on pure spellpower now and now and then sp/int. If i have gear with 3 sockets, i just go, without really wanting because i hate blue sockets, for sp/ mp5. Now i think i got enough intelect, and way to much crit. So if there's a yellow socket, i tend to go for sp/haste these days.

Specc: Just one thing to say about this. I know i dont have Desperate Heal, and i know it could work out very intresting, BUT!! I even forget to use my healthstone / hp potion. How in the world will i remember to use DP? xD

To start with, i'm in a strict 10man raiding guild, so we dont do any 25man raids as you can see on my banner below, mostly healing together with a paladin and a shaman or druid.
    I noticed that i'm getting low on spirit since i'm trying to defeat The Lich King atm. My job on the fight is pre- shield and help out on the tanks when i'm able to. Alltho i noticed it ate alot of my mana so i tryed to change my way of doing it. So i pre-shield party 2 and for party 1 (where the tanks r in) I have a macro setted up so, that i use Inner Focus when ever its possible and cast prayer of healing together. I noticed it works out alot better then it did with preshielding every 10 ppl. I have no idea how it will work out till phase 3 but at the first Transition I use Hymn of Hope, and when i'm again on about 50% mana in phase 2, i'll use my Fiend. As i said, i'm noy sure how it will work out for phase 3 since we've only gotten to 67%

Re: Disc - Getting low on Spirit :o?

Lich King is the one fight in ICC where being low on spirit and other regen will hurt you. I switch on some regen gear for that fight from my old Holy set with Spark of Hope and Solace. The off-set pieces are gemmed straight +20 int. I think I have around 34k mana in that set (it's old 258 T9 holy gear). Raid spamming that much really eats your mana, no way around it. It's not worth modifying your main set unless you're rich though.

If you run Oom just get more +20 intellect gems, don't bother about gemming or even gearing for spirit in Discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Lich King is the one fight in ICC where being low on spirit and other regen will hurt you. I switch on some regen gear for that fight from my old Holy set with Spark of Hope and Solace. The off-set pieces are gemmed straight +20 int. I think I have around 34k mana in that set (it's old 258 T9 holy gear). Raid spamming that much really eats your mana, no way around it. It's not worth modifying your main set unless you're rich though.
    This. Ever since we are trying Lich King I've put an end to my crappy discipline-gearing and am stacking spirit and int. Seriously, drop the spellpower gems if you should ever get low on mana and regen for full int while picking up some spirit through items. In this encounter it is essential to basically have a shield running on every character and to reshield before an existing partially absorbed shield may run out since damage is tough. In my opinion you should have 2000 int and ~400mp5 before raidbuffs for LK10. You'll need it. With 36k+ mana and various procs you'll end up with about 800 mp5 which works out well here. You do not have too much crit, yet too much haste. Try pulling back from that and take that crit rating through the roof.

For your healing tactics: You're crippling your raid. You need a shield on every player preventing Infest, since it hurts you in phase two very much if someone gets infested but is out of range for whatever reason. You do want to wait with shields on the tank for Infest or Soul Reaper though. I recommend the fiend for beginning of phase 3, the Hymn correctly in phase 1.5 - save your focus for a Divine Hymn if things go south. Seriously, this can save a raid.

Bottom line: No one should be without a full shield in this fight ever.

Deleted

So, i'm aiming for the right stats, but I should change it for the LK fight? Cuz ye, i rly think my spirit is getting pretty low, eventho i'm a disc priest. evry disc priest i see has around 600-800 spirit

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Luminee
    This. Ever since we are trying Lich King I've put an end to my crappy discipline-gearing and am stacking spirit and int. Seriously, drop the spellpower gems if you should ever get low on mana and regen for full int while picking up some spirit through items. In this encounter it is essential to basically have a shield running on every character and to reshield before an existing partially absorbed shield may run out since damage is tough. In my opinion you should have 2000 int and ~400mp5 before raidbuffs for LK10. You'll need it. With 36k+ mana and various procs you'll end up with about 800 mp5 which works out well here. You do not have too much crit, yet too much haste. Try pulling back from that and take that crit rating through the roof.

For your healing tactics: You're crippling your raid. You need a shield on every player preventing Infest, since it hurts you in phase two very much if someone gets infested but is out of range for whatever reason. You do want to wait with shields on the tank for Infest or Soul Reaper though. I recommend the fiend for beginning of phase 3, the Hymn correctly in phase 1.5 - save your focus for a Divine Hymn if things go south. Seriously, this can save a raid.

Bottom line: No one should be without a full shield in this fight ever.
    Wauw, so you're saying that i should quit doing the shield party 2, innerfocus - prayer of heal party1. Then i deffinatly need more mp5/spirit for this fight

Quote Originally Posted by Pyra
    So, i'm aiming for the right stats, but I should change it for the LK fight? Cuz ye, i rly think my spirit is getting pretty low, eventho i'm a disc priest. evry disc priest i see has around 600-800 spirit
    Well, I changed my behaviour against spirit drastically progressing through ICC10. You'll need the mp5 in normal Lich King and you'll need it in the hardmodes coming after that. Personally I try to aim for 1000 spirit which is crazily high while gemming int, int+spell or int+spirit till 38k without int-trinket. But this is me. You'll need to see for yourself after a hot encounter if you come out of it with like 2000+ mana while doing everything you could to prevent damage income. This is key - there is no ideal value for regen really in general. Anyway, 600+ spirit should not hurt a discipline priest in any situation.

Wauw, so you're saying that i should quit doing the shield party 2, innerfocus - prayer of heal party1. Then i deffinatly need more mp5/spirit for this fight
    I do. If you want this fight to be a success you want a buttload of mana to through shields like mad. This way I could outheal my colleagues by far on this fight (quoting WOL) which is something I would never have achieved previously. Don't take your Shield lightly, it really is a crazy ability in this game if not one of the most powerful healing spells at all and this fight is the best there ever was to take full advantage of this cast. Use it. Use it like a madman.

The high regen is only needed for the Lich King. Don't worry about regearing entirely. Take your old T9 gear and put all +20 Int in it, except to activate the meta requirements. Don't worry about higher crit/haste values on T10, it doesn't matter. Don't worry about losing SP, it doesn't matter for this fight. You need a ~6k shield and that's it. It's the only fight in game where this is a good idea. Even ICC hard modes (except HM LK obviously) don't require you to gear out of straight crit/haste gear with SP gemming. None of them require you to be GCD capped shielding for 10 minutes straight, which is what LK does.

Deleted

the thing is, the dmg from Infest isnt high enough to completly absorb my shield, so i'll never benefit from Rapture. I've see a disc priest from Blood Legion that got world first Lk 10m, he gemmed evry thing with 20 haste Oo

the thing is, the dmg from Infest isnt high enough to completly absorb my shield, so i'll never benefit from Rapture. I've see a disc priest from Blood Legion that got world first Lk 10m, he gemmed evry thing with 20 haste Oo
    That's mainly his holy gear.
    He just pretty much switched specs to heal it, while in his holy gear.

Our disc priest is downranking PW:S on p1 of LK just to finish it with full mana. That way you still shield for infest and get benefit from rapture.
    - Where does general keep his armies?
    - In his sleevies.

Quote Originally Posted by Himsul
    Our disc priest is downranking PW:S on p1 of LK just to finish it with full mana. That way you still shield for infest and get benefit from rapture.
    I hardly believe that can be efficient at all. Did you succeed yet?

Down-ranking PW:S isn't viable. It will result in the same return on Rapture due to the ICD on rapture, while not reducing mana consumption. It's a bad idea.

You missed the point where you'er getting zero return from Rapture considering the shields aren't actually breaking to Infest, so getting the return for mana is actually worthwhile, and combat log's still bugged in which simultaneous effects still trigger multiple raptures before the cooldown becomes active.

But.
    If you're needing to downrank shields to have them break and gain mana, then might I suggest you stop pre-shielding everyone? It's actually cheaper to time a Prayer to go off (even as Discipline) after Infest hits.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    If you're needing to downrank shields to have them break and gain mana, then might I suggest you stop pre-shielding everyone? It's actually cheaper to time a Prayer to go off (even as Discipline) after Infest hits.
    Now that you say that this might be true in phase 1, yet in phase 2 or 3 it's utter stupid to not preshield hence the large mobility of random players. A shield will be more valuable in this scenario because the shielded and infested can go through some other damage input like defile or ghost with at least getting something from that when you may be out of range. Of course this is my opinion and I am new to these forums, yet I would say - preshield your raid, if your mana is not enough regear (or, well, gear).

And to be honest, missing mana regen from Rapture isn't really the problem in this fight, is it? Parsing through the logs of my group I see that even though I through shields like stupid Rapture equals Replenishment in power gain, each delivering a decent mana return of 300mp5 straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    You missed the point where you'er getting zero return from Rapture considering the shields aren't actually breaking to Infest, so getting the return for mana is actually worthwhile, and combat log's still bugged in which simultaneous effects still trigger multiple raptures before the cooldown becomes active.
    When doing the fight I get rapture basically right on the ICD. If you're in charge of shielding more than 15 people it's almost impossible not to. Infest will be hitting people twice and PW:S will drop. It only becomes an issue when you have multiple priests splitting the duty. If you do that, though, then mana consumption drops substantially. Furthermore if you're doing it this way then each Disc Priest should also have one of the tanks assigned and they will be assured of 1 shield dropping constantly. Look up parses and check the mana returns. Rapture definitely works wonders for LK.

When doing the fight I get rapture basically right on the ICD. If you're in charge of shielding more than 15 people it's almost impossible not to. Infest will be hitting people twice and PW:S will drop. It only becomes an issue when you have multiple priests splitting the duty. If you do that, though, then mana consumption drops substantially. Furthermore if you're doing it this way then each Disc Priest should also have one of the tanks assigned and they will be assured of 1 shield dropping constantly. Look up parses and check the mana returns. Rapture definitely works wonders for LK.
    You say leave an infested shield on a dps player, yet in my experience this shield won't be sufficient to absorb the next infest at that degree to prevent the dot, is that not true or is my shield with 8k absorb awfully low?

Spirit = Regen
    Int = Better Regen + crit.

The only fight as someone pointed out that is a real mana issue is Lich king, but even then its still very manageable, get in the habit of using shadowfiend as soon as u would get 100% effect from it, Ie: ~60% mana.

Just about every spellcaster peice of gear is a SP socket bonus.
    So i say go for it, no matter the color.

Gem Int until regen is not an issue then go full SP.

In P1 and P2 i down rank my PW:shield to rank 11 and it breaks on infest, dealing about 200-400 damage to the raid, so i get mana back from rapture! As someone suggested, a well timed PoH could do the job too, but why cast PoH if you can prevent the damage with shield?? And in P2 infest can be pain in the ass with all the movement, Valkyries and Soul reaper dot, so PW:shield shines there even better!

As for the down ranking, i'm at 3.7k Sp raid buffed and nearly 4k with the rep ring proc, so it took me a while to come up with the rank of PW:shield, which lets me maximize the damage absorb but still break on infest!

Deleted

Down-ranking PW:S isn't viable. It will result in the same return on Rapture due to the ICD on rapture, while not reducing mana consumption. It's a bad idea.
    I think this might work actually and if the shields break at EXACT the same time, you will get rapture from all 10