Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Cataclysm Prologue - Gnomeregan and the Echo Isles

Cataclysm Prologue - Gnomeregan and the Echo Isles
    Patch 3.3.3 introduced a lot of data for the prologue, or at least a part of it. If you checked the site when the patch was first release you already know that players will be able to recapture Gnomeregan (Alliance) and the Echo Isles (Horde).

Achievements and Overcloaks
    This is where it all started, the new achievements were discovered instantly on the Item Database Latest Additions.

• Gnomecoming King - You assisted High Tinker Mekkatorque and the Gnomeregan Exiles in the recapture of Gnomeregan's surface.
    • Gnomecoming Queen - You assisted High Tinker Mekkatorque and the Gnomeregan Exiles in the recapture of Gnomeregan's surface.

There isn't any Horde achievement for the moment and they will probably be added to the game in a later PTR build.

After digging a little more in the game files it also looks like players will be rewarded with "cosmetic cloaks" at some point. Apparently, Blizzard introduced an Overcloak mechanism that allows you to change the appearance of your cloak without having to unequip your regular super-epic cloak.

• Gnomeregan Overcloak - Right Click to don a cosmetic cloak. Will cover the appearance but not the effect of any existing cloak.
    • Orgrimmar Overcloak - Right Click to don a cosmetic cloak. Will cover the appearance but not the effect of any existing cloak.

More spells should be introduced later according to the models I found in the game files. (Personal message to Blizzard: Guild Tabards overcloaks, please!)

Flight Paths
    More flight paths have been added to the game. First, you have to understand that everytime you use a vehicle following an automated path, most of the coordinates it uses are stored in your client and aren't received from the server. Knowing that, we can reproduce the paths on a world map (yes, we can do that) and check where the various Cataclysm missions will bring us.

• CC Prologue - GT - Quest - Vent Horizon - Start (#392)
    • CC Prologue - GT - Quest - Vent Horizon - End (#393)
    • CC Prologue - GT - Battle Flight - Start (#394)
    • CC Prologue - GT - Battle Flight - End (#395)
    • Durotar - ET - CC Prologue Spy Frog Start (#404)
    • Durotar - ET - CC Prologue Spy Frog End (#405)
    • Durotar - ET - CC Prologue Troll Taxi Bat Start (#438)
    • Durotar - ET - CC Prologue Troll Recruit End (#439)
    • Durotar - ET - CC Prologue - Troll Battle End (#440)

Quest Lines
    A lot of quests have been added to the game for this event. Keep in mind that this is only a small part of the entire event but it will give you a good idea of how players will recapture Gnomeregan and the Echo Isles.

There is also a third questline involving the Twilight's Cult, the end of the world is near and they really want you to know about it!

Alliance - Recapturing Gnomeregan

Quest - A Few Good GnomesR
    Objective - Recruit Gnome Citizens from Tinker Town using the Motivate-a-Tron and lead them to Captain Tread Sparknozzle at Steelgrill's Depot.
    Description
    Our engineers have been working on getting our battle machines ready for our assault on Gnomeregan, but we're out of pilots! We've developed a device called the Motivate-a-Tron, which prevents distraction from other sources and gives the gnome the courage to enlist. After motivating a few Gnome Citizens, lead them out to Captain Tread Sparknozzle out at Steelgrill's Depot, just south of Ironforge. Oh, and be careful. The device is still a little experimental.

Quest - Basic Orders
    Objective - Follow Drill Sergeant Steamcrank's cues and then report back to Captain Tread Sparknozzle.
    Description
    Hey! You look like you could give us a hand! If you're willing to help our cause, we have to get you through training. Gnome training is brutal and rigorous, so I hope you're ready. Head over to Drill Sergeant Steamcrank and he'll walk you through what you need to know. Make sure you follow his orders when he gives them, or else you'll never make it I'm warning you though, it's tough over there. Come back to see me, if you make it.

Quest - Vent Horizon
    Objective - Use Pilot Muzzlesprock's flying machine to toss Radiageigatrons at the vents surrounding Gnomeregan.
    Description
    We thought that we could wait for the radiation to subside around Gnomeregan, but it doesn't appear to be getting better. If we want to take back our city, we need to make sure it's safe for our troops to enter. Take these Radiageigatrons, hop in 'Thunderflash' here, and toss them at the ventilation shafts outside of Gnomeregan. They'll report the radiation levels directly to me.

Quest - Prepping the Speech
    Objective - Use the Gnomish Playback Device in front of Ozzie Togglevolt west of Kharanos, Milli Featherwhistle at Steelgrill Depot and Tog Rustsprocket outside the Kharanos Inn. Return to Toby Zieggear when all the speeches have been given.
    Description
    High Tinker Mekkatorque asked me to write a speech that he could give before the battle starts, but I can't tell which draft is good and which ones just stink. Could you try some of them out on some of the local gnome residents? This device creates an image of Mekkatorque saying a few lines from each of my speech drafts. Let me know which one works, okay?

Quest - Words for Delivery
    Objective - Give the speech to Captain Tread Sparknozzle at Steelgrill Depot.
    Description
    Here we go. This is the speech, ! It has everything to be a great battle starter: It's inspirational, has eloquent language and speaks directly to gnomes. Never has a finer speech been written! Turn this in to Captain Tread Sparknozzle and get some transportation to High Tinker Mekkatorque!

Quest - Words for Delivery
    Objective - Ride 'Thunderflash' from Steelgrill Depot to High Tinker Mekkatorque and deliver Toby's speech.
    Description
    All right, soldier. Time to prove your worth! Take the speech and board the flying machine "Thunderflash". It's the fastest ship to High Tinker Mekkatorque and this speech is the only thing he's waiting on before starting Operation: Gnomeregan. Go! Now!

Quest - Operation: Gnomeregan
    Objective - [PH]Help King Mekkatorque take back Gnomeregan.
    Additional Note - Rewards Gnomeregan Overcloak and Gnomecoming King / Gnomecoming Queen. (And if you're wondering, [PH] just means PlaceHolder)
    Description
    [PH] Help Mekkatorque take back Gnomeregan.

Alliance - Mechano-Tanks Tutorial?

Quest - In and Out
    Objective - Test out the ejection system in the Ejector Mechano-Tank.
    Description
    We've gotta get these new mechano-tanks ready for the assault. You ready to help test these bad boys out?! Of course you are! First, we need to make sure that once you're in, you can get out. In battle, if you think your tank is going to explode, get out! I've seen many a gnome stay in 'til the bitter end... the tank blows up, and them along with it. Well, I've upgraded this tank with an ejection seat. Try it out for me, will ya?

Quest - One Step Forward...
    Objective - Test the the Scuttling Mechano-Tank's maneuverability.
    Description
    With the ejection system working, I think we're ready to test out movement. This tank has an extra special feature: Automatic Evasive Maneuvers! I want you to check out the servos on the left leg, the right leg and the Automatic Evasive Maneuver system. This is easy stuff, so it shouldn't take too long.

Quest - Press Fire
    Objective - Test out the Shooting Mechano-Tank weapon systems on the nearby targets.
    Description
    Safety systems, online! Motor functions, functioning! Now all we need is to make sure that the guns will fire. This shouldn't be too hard, . The mechano-tank on the hill behind us has been loaded with harmless pellets. Just fire off a couple rounds at the nearby targets and report back to me.

Horde - Recapturing Echo Isles

Quest - Da Perfect Spies
    Objective - Capture 5 Sen'jin Frogs and attune them to Vanira's sight at her Sentry Totem.
    Description
    Now, it would be foolish to go in blind 'ere, so I be creatin' some tiny spies to gather information for Vol'jin. He got to know what's goin' on over on de islands. I could use da help, if you be feelin' up to it. I tell ya how it's done. First, ya gotta catch de frogs. Dey like to stay in de shade of da palm trees around Sen'jin. Once ya have de frogs, bring 'em over here to my sentry totem an' attune dem to me sight.

Quest - Frogs Away!
    Objective - While riding a bat, use the Sack o' Frogs to place 12 attuned frogs on the markers in the Echo Isles.
    Description
    Wit de frogs ready to go, I be needin' ya to help me send 'em out to the isles. On de eastern side of Sen'jin Village, ya can find Handler Marnlek. He be handlin' all the bats for Vol'jin's scouts and he can loan ya a bat to get ya out to de isles. Take dis sack' o frogs with ya. I been askin' de spirits for guidance. Dey've sent smoke to show ya where I need de eyes most. While ridin' de bat, reach into de sack and toss de frogs toward de white smoke.

Quest - Lady Of Da Tigers
    Objective - While imbued with the Spirit of the Tiger, lure the Tiger Matriarch out of hiding and use your new abilities to best it in combat.
    Description
    Remember de frogs ya made into me eyes and ears? Well, dey've found somethin' interestin'. On an island to de southeast, dey've spied a tiger even de other cats seem to fear. Dis tiger, I've never seen anythin' like it. It hunts wit' da instincts of a cat, but de mind of a person. It could be a powerful spirit and a strong ally. I'll be callin' down the spirit o' the tiger upon ya. Use its gifts to locate this cat and challenge it. See if ya can win its aid in our battle for the isles.

Quest - Dance Of De Spirits
    Objective - Talk to Witch Doctor Hez'tok near the circle of ritual dancers outside Sen'jin Village when you're ready to consult the omens.
    Description
    De time has come to start thinkin' about when to make our move. Champion Uru'zin tells me his men be ready. You and Vanira done good work gatherin' information on de enemy and findin' us new allies. Now, we read de omens. We find out when to launch de attack. Find Witch Doctor Hez'tok near the circle of ritual dancers. He be startin' de ritual as soon as ya be ready.

Quest - Trollin' For Volunteers
    Objective - Use Vol'jin's War Drums to recruit 5 Troll Citizens in Razor Hill. You can speak to Handler Marnlek for a bat ride to Razor Hill.
    Description
    Vol'jin has given me his war drums and put me in charge of trainin' da new recruits here. Only problem is we be short on new recruits. Supposin' I loaned ya dis drum, would ya use it to sound de call to war on Vol'jin's behalf in Razor Hill? If ya could even inspire just a few trolls to join da cause, it would make a difference. Once ya've convinced dem to volunteer, bring dem back to me for trainin'. Go over an' talk to Handler Marnlek to de south. He can lend you a bat for de ride to Razor Hill.

Quest - Preparin' For Battle
    Objective - Speak to Handler Marnlek for a flight to the staging area. Meet Vol'jin on the island east of the war camp.
    Description
    Vol'jin be gatherin' his gear and readyin' de warriors. He ask me to tell ya to meet with him an' Vanira on de island to de east. From dere, he and de warriors will launch de attack on Zalazane. May de ancestors go wit' you, . Without ya, dis campaign would only be a shadow of what it become. Speak to Handler Marnlek, just to de south, an' he give you a bat to fly out to de stagin' area.

Quest - Zalazane's Fall
    Objective - Help Vol'jin take back the Echo Isles and kill Zalazane.
    Additional Notes - Rewards a Darkspear Overcloak and most likely an achievement, just like the gnome version.
    Description
    De time for battle is now! We'd be headin' ova to da islands soon, so you'd betta be ready. Zalazane doesn't have much time left.

Twilight's Cult - Horde / Alliance Questline

Quest - Prophecies of Doom / Prophecies of Doom
    Objective - Listen to a speech given by a Doomsayer in the Drag and obtain copies of the pamphlets "Elemental Fire for the Soul", "What Does 'The End of All Things' Mean for Me?", and "Finding Security and Comfort in a Doomed World".
    Description
    Harbingers of doom are nothing new on the streets of Orgrimmar, but I'm worried about this latest batch. These people are organized and they've attracted a lot of attention in the Drag, where they seem to congregate. I've thought about rounding them up or otherwise disrupting their activities, but that will just drive them underground. We need to find out more about them. Would you go to the Drag, listen to what these doomsayers are spreading, and gather any literature you can find about their ideas?

Quest - Signs of the Times / Signs of the Times
    Objective - Setup 5 Warning Posters around the Valley of Strength, the Drag, or the Valley of Honor.
    Description
    We've got to do something to reduce interest in this doomsday cult, but I'm hesitant to take much action until we know more about who is behind this group. I've had my men place markers around heavily traveled areas in Orgrimmar. Take these posters and set them up where you see the markers. They won't discourage the most determined of seekers, but it's a first step in exposing this cult. The Horde has enough to deal with as it is, without people wilfully spreading lies too.

Quest - Infiltrating the Cult / Infiltrating the Cult
    Objective - Speak to a Doomsayer Orgrimmar's Drag to join the cult, then put on your Recruit's Robe.
    Description
    The streets of Orgrimmar are wild with rumors about the cult's origins and practices. There's only one way to know the truth about this group, . You're going to join them. Approach one of the Doomsayers in the Drag and tell them you wish to join their group. With any luck, they will give you instructions to introduce yourself to one of the group's leaders and tell you where the group is hiding. Don any clothing given to you by the doomsayer; you'll need it to gain entry to the group's hideout.

Quest - Spreading the Word / Spreading the Word
    Objective - While wearing your Doomsday Message, visit the East Zeppelin Tower, the West Zeppelin Tower, and the town square of Razor Hill.
    Description
    Welcome to the farm, . Everyone here works to earn keep. For some, that means caring for the animals. Others are responsible for working on our construction projects. Still others work to spread our message among the people and I think that's a good place for you to start. Take this board. It bears a short message about our beliefs. While wearing the board, visit the eastern and western zeppelin towers outside Orgrimmar's gates, as well as the town square of Razor Hill, to the south.

Quest - The Master's Plan / The Master's Plan
    Objective - Learn more about the cult's plans at the altar in the eastern part of the Jaggedswine Farm.
    Description
    You're fitting in well here, , but there is more to us than daily chores and spreading the message. I'm sure you heard a little bit about it when you first joined. As you know, this world is ending and the unprepared will die painful deaths. We have been given a gift, an opportunity to become something greater and more powerful. Overseer Golbaz is will be preparing a ritual before the altar at the eastern end of the farm. Wait there for him, and learn more of your new brothers and sisters.

Quest - The Doomsday Plan / The Doomsday Plan
    Objective - Take the Elemental Devices to Blood Guard Torek in Orgrimmar's Valley of Strength.
    Description
    The first batch of elemental devices are ready. Your task will be to conceal them inside the city of Orgrimmar. The devices will unleash their fire elementals at the proper time. Don't worry, , you'll be safely away before that happens. Do not do anything that would draw attention to yourself.

Quest - Thwarting Twilight's Hammer / Thwarting Twilight's Hammer
    Objective - Break Elemental Devices to release their elementals. You must defeat 5 Raging Fire Elementals.
    Description
    You can't have been the only person sent into Orgrimmar to deploy those devices containing fire elementals. We have to find and disable the rest of the devices before set their captive elementals free and burn down the city. Are you familiar enough with the devices to destroy them? You need to break them open before the fire elementals inside have had time to reach full strength. They should be easy to defeat if you open the devices early. The cultists have probably put them all over the city.

Quest - Warn King Wrynn / Warn the Warchief
    Objective - Speak with Thrall at Grommash Hold in Orgrimmar's Valley of Wisdom.
    Description
    You have successfully defended Orgrimmar from the threat posed by this Twilight's Hammer cult, , and without shedding the blood of our own people. Our enemy will not rest for long. I cannot imagine that Cho'Gall will accept defeat so easily. You must take word to Thrall. Go to the Valley of Wisdom and speak to him in Grommash Hold. Tell the warchief that our enemies have shown themselves and we must be prepared for their return.

Models
    A couple of models related to the Twilight's Cult questline have also been added to the files.

High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque: The Liberation of Gnomeregan
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Around the time of the Third War, an ancient menace known as the troggs surfaced in Gnomeregan from the depths of Azeroth. This barbaric race, thought to have been unintentionally released during the Uldaman excavation, crushed the gnomes' defenses and became entrenched in the lower sections of the city. Gelbin, for all his genius, was at a loss for a way to eradicate the savage invaders until his chief advisor, Mekgineer Sicco Thermaplugg, proposed that they inundate Gnomeregan with toxic radiation.

Confident in Thermaplugg's radical plan, Mekkatorque gave the order to irradiate the city. This bold move worked at first: toxic radiation spread throughout Gnomeregan and momentarily stopped the troggs' incursion. Soon, however, it was evident that the radiation was killing gnomes as well as troggs. In the end, nearly eighty percent of the gnomish race died, and many of those who survived were mutated into deranged leper gnomes. To add to the tragedy, the troggs then resumed their assault on the city.

Mekkatorque and the healthy survivors evacuated Gnomeregan and were taken in by the dwarves of neighboring Ironforge, but Thermaplugg disappeared. The high tinker later learned troubling news that his former advisor had seized control of the toxic gnomish city and instated himself as its twisted overlord. Much to Mekkatorque's shock, he also discovered that Thermaplugg had secretly desired the office of high tinker and might have been previously aware of or even complicit in the trogg invasion.

The immense loss of life at Gnomeregan weighed heavy on Mekkatorque's shoulders, and in his fury he ordered the death of Thermaplugg. A band of heroes took up the mission and returned with a tale of victory, but after analyzing the claim, Mekkatorque realized that the mechanized overlord defeated in the depths of the city was likely nothing more than a cleverly engineered facsimile of Thermaplugg.

Aware that defeating his nemesis would require a more robust approach, Mekkatorque labored over strategies to retake his city. His tireless brainstorming recently paid off with Operation: Gnomeregan, a brilliant multi-phased assault plan to liberate the gnomish capital and bring the real Thermaplugg to justice. With the operation set to begin, resourceful gnomes such as "Doc" Cogspin, Captain Tread Sparknozzle, and Drill Sergeant Steamcrank have been overseeing preparations and fine-tuning new technology that will be vital to the offensive.

Meanwhile, Mekkatorque has begun rounding up all able-bodied gnomes to join in the attack, and his call to arms has also been heard by other members of the Alliance. The gnomes' techno-savvy has been vital in past conflicts, and many Alliance heroes are likely to join the offensive to recapture the extraordinary inventions within the fallen city. For Mekkatorque, however, his plan goes beyond just reacquiring lost technology. The retaking of Gnomeregan will determine his legacy in history, either as the high tinker who lost the gnomes' beloved capital, or the one who reestablished it as the center of innovation on Azeroth.

Operation: Gnomeregan is now.

Vol'jin: The Glory of the Darkspears
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Yet for all of the tribe's accomplishments, the Darkspears are still plagued by a tragic history of exile. Long ago they were driven from Stranglethorn Vale's mainland by the more powerful trolls of the Gurubashi empire and then settled on a remote island. The Darkspears later sought refuge with the Horde when their isle was destroyed by a mysterious sea witch, and Thrall granted the trolls new lands on the Echo Isles off the coast of Durotar. Aside from a brief exodus when Daelin Proudmoore's fleet arrived to hunt down orcs, the Darkspears enjoyed relative stability until one of their own, Zalazane, drove his brethren from their latest home.

The witch doctor Zalazane had been one of the tribe's leading mystical instructors when he was inexplicably driven to insanity by the powers under his control. Utilizing dark magic, he enslaved many of his fellow tribespeople and amassed an army of mindless Darkspear trolls. Fearing that all of his tribe would come under Zalazane's sway, Vol'jin ordered the remaining free Darkspears to abandon the Echo Isles.

Vol'jin's Darkspears settled in nearby Sen'jin Village, which they have since used as a staging point to attack Zalazane. Over the years, members of the Horde looking to test their worth have braved the Echo Isles to confront Zalazane, and many of them even returned victorious with his severed head. These victories, however, proved to be nothing more than an illusion created by the twisted witch doctor's dark magic. Days after these trophies were taken to Sen'jin Village, they reverted to their true forms: painted rocks and coconuts adorned with wooden tusks, or even the heads of Zalazane's enslaved trolls.

Despite these setbacks and his preoccupation with advising Thrall on Horde-related matters, Vol'jin has spent considerable time formulating a strategy to recapture the Echo Isles. Now he believes that the time to strike at Zalazane has come. As the Darkspear leader and his close allies Vanira and Champion Uru'zin await approval of their plan from the ancestral spirits, they have begun rounding up new troll recruits and staging reconnaissance missions to learn about Zalazane's minions.

Yet Vol'jin's trolls are short on forces, and the enslaved Darkspears on the Echo Isles outnumber them. The Darkspears are well-known for being among Azeroth's bravest combatants, however, and fortunately many non-trolls have expressed interest in assisting Vol'jin, perhaps hoping that restoring the Echo Isles will eventually bolster the Horde's strength.

Vol'jin is also aware of the strategic importance that a Darkspear homeland offers his allies, but he is motivated by more personal reasons. Zalazane's betrayal was an affront against Vol'jin's dream of a better life for his tribe, a destiny that his late father, Sen'jin, envisioned years ago. Only by retaking the Echo Isles will Vol'jin be able to honor his father and at long last secure a permanent homeland for the long-exiled Darkspear tribe.

Re: Cataclysm Prologue - Gnomeregan and the Echo Isles

nice. i hope cata comes in the summer, but most likely be in the fall
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

15+ Year Old Account

I'm glad they're doing something epic with this!
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Hell yeah Overcloaks. Love the Horde one

Although newb, newbie, noob, and n00b all have similar definitions, there are key differences amongst them. A newb or newbie is a new user who has an understandable lack of experience; a noob or n00b, on the other hand, is an unskilled player who is not a newbie and should know better

Should be fun and sounds amazing !!

This looks awesome, I can't wait!!

need overcloak for every major city

i lol'd at the "pre catalysm event flight paths - Horde"

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...tpathhorde.jpg

paint rocks

I like the overcloak idea. This looks like it'll be fun.

Overcloaks... the sortof technical thing that Blizz is doing there makes me hope against hope that someday we'll be able to display the graphics of armor we have, and want to display, while retaining the stats and bonuses of our current armor sets.

Wow. This news actually got me more excited than whole ICC raid. Finally capital city for trolls!

... ye, who cares about gnomes.

Wow that looks so awesome! I wish these kind of events were always going on in the game and not just before an expansion.

I'm intrigued by the overcloak. Can I wear it always? Can I also have an over-coat?

"Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

I'm really digging the overcloaks. Now my war can sport a SW tabard, and cloak!

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Overcloaks... the sortof technical thing that Blizz is doing there makes me hope against hope that someday we'll be able to display the graphics of armor we have, and want to display, while retaining the stats and bonuses of our current armor sets.
    I thought the same thing Herecius! I hope it is true! I really think it would add a whole new dimension to the game.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by kildal
    i lol'd at the "pre catalysm event flight paths - Horde"

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...tpathhorde.jpg

paint rocks
    Hey, don't mock my autogeneration skills

I'm still hesitant as to whether or not I'll wear a cloak, even with these sweet overcloaks. Now if only they would implement cloaks that had the options of having hoods up or something.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard introduced an Overcloak mechanism to change the appearance of your clock without having to unequip
    goof you spelled Cloak wrong, you have Time on your mind or something? ;D

This looks really interesting, and I can't wait for those overcloaks!

Yes, good idéa with guild overcloaks. That would be sweet!

HA! I love the fact that they're putting in NPCs that claim the world is coming to an end that look much like the nutters you frequently see IRL!