P532n SLI + intel e6850 MELTDOWN!!

ok, I've scoured google page after google page, everything from overclock.com to tomshardware.com forums. No one has had a definative answer to this. My problem is this:

Around december, a buddy of mine upgraded to an iMac, and gave me his gaming PC he custom built. From what I could see, and his description, the computer ran fine, other than one of his HDs went kaput. I had witnessed it play WoW, among other higher end games such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R:Shadows of Chernobyl and Bioshock, flawlessly. It had a GeForce (Nvidia) 8800 GT. Now, when I started using it, after about a week, I would get random errors, where WoW, and the only other game I play, Combat Arms, would just freeze up and the entire PC would be rendered unresponsive. I figured it was a video card issue, as the video card had been removed and sat on the edge of a bed for a bit, possibly getting tagged with a bit of ESD. So i ordered two BFG Nvidia Geforce 250 video cards (1Ghz each) and did SLI with them. Things ran smooth as hell for about 24 hours, but then BAM, I get the bizare freeze ups again. After scouring the web, I looked up common problems. I replaced the thermal paste to the CPU, ensured the heat sink was seated properly as per the book, even under clocked the CPU down from 3.0 to 2.66 Ghz. still, NOTHING. I just got locked up standing in Elwynn Forest. I've tried the graphics all the way down, medium, and every combo in between, still the same results. I downloaded Real Temp and my temp is fine, as the e6850 has a TJMax of 100c, red zone at about 90c. Mine runs as a cool 46 celcius when idle, and at around 50-55 c when playing WoW. I've done litteraly every possible solution fix that has "worked" for everyone else, but still, I got nothing. I also have 4Ghz of Corsair brand RAM, although only 3 is being utilized by my 32 bit windows. I'm at my wits end, I don't have the cash to just throw it at this thing (the video cards and such were purchased with an income tax return). Before the Mac loyalist come flocking to gawk at my misfortune, I assure you, If I could afford to, or had the credit to, I would be starring at a nice 2600$ iMac like my wise friend is right about now. If anyone has this mobo/cpu combo (as im told it was a common seller back in 07/08) and knows anything about these problems, please, do share them with me. This Pc runs quite fine when not gaming, but as soon as I log on to either game, within 15-20 minutes, im garuanteed to have a freeze up, not even a BSoD, and then im stuck restarting.

thanks in advance for any friendly and constructive advice you all may have.

Re: P532n SLI + intel e6850 MELTDOWN!!

Reformat, update drivers, you wasted a large amount of money on awful video cards, and even worse SLI.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    Reformat, update drivers, you wasted a large amount of money on awful video cards, and even worse SLI.
    aside from my semi-uneducated dabbling in SLI and the video cards (thanks...i guess...) :

what your basically saying is that I'm experiencing a software and not a hardware issue? if so, are you saying this based on experience with this specific setup or just as a general run of the mill fix?

(and i caught the video cards on sale for around 100$ each, so not a huge amount of money. surely not small amount either, but its not like I wasted 4 or 5 hundred on the thing.)

The only hardware issue might be a dying PSU, a reformat only takes a few hours and is an easy way to eliminate any software issues. E6850 isn't amazingly weak, a quad wouldn't help much. $300 would have bought you a 5850, which would run circles around a GTS250.

alrighty, well then, one last question before I go diggin around for a windows disc and cd key. Would you recomend me going back with the single 8800 GT, or using one or both of the BFG 250, seeing as how the original video card wasn't my problem, and its specs aren't exactly terrible.

Sell all 3 to someone who isn't as smart as you and acquire a 5850.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    Sell all 3 to someone who isn't as smart as you and acquire a 5850.
    lol, somehow, i figured you would say that. I'll just stick with the 8800 for now, get my money back for the 250s, and save up for a Mac : /

Buying a Mac will just end up costing you more and getting lower performance than a similarly priced PC.

and in the long run, the Mac will hold its value and in black and white, have fewer problems. I've stressed over PCs long enough, time to see how the "dark side" feels. not like its irreversable, and not like im gonna walk out tomorow and throw down cash and tell some geek "gimme my mac"

Not sure what you mean by value, but the only problems you are having with PCs are created by yourself.

currently: just finished up with a fresh install of windows along with all my mobo etc drivers. Just re-installing stuff like WoW, my anti virus etc. The more I think about it, the more the bad drivers deal makes sense. My buddy never had these problems when his old HD was in, that is before it died. The problem didn't arise until after I installed windows etc. Hopefully this will fix the issue, if not, time to look into a new PSU as stated. thanks for the help.

as far as the mac thing goes, of the circle of tech savvy friends I keep company with, I'm the "ugly duckling" who hasn't gone mac. I've yet to hear complaints about the over all Mac system (from them among the other mac users i've spoken to). Maybe its because the Mac OS is idiot proof, I dunno.

As far as holding value, despite the given level of performance for your avg Mac computer, I've read very little about degrading performance, OS errors, etc. I suppose im just guilty of being a review whore when it comes to picking and choosing what to use/buy next. If the over all reviews for something aren't impressive, I won't touch it. As with the case with the two BFG 250s I bought. Having googled reviews, from several sites to include newegg and tigerdirect (though tiger has to be taken lightly..) No one had any genuine complaints about the performance solo, or SLI.

Learning something new everyday I s'pose.

15+ Year Old Account

As far as the Windows vs Mac thing for performance, I can't chime in for day to day usage. For WoW, however, I don't believe the program has ever been made to work as well on a Mac as a Windows machine (though I could be wrong). I believe the code isn't written effectively enough to have equal performance on equal hardware where the only difference is OS.

Also, since this is the first topic in a while that's pushed into Windows vs Mac territory, I just want to remind everyone that we can discuss it, but not flame each other for OS choice. It hasn't happened yet, but let's not go there.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Also, since this is the first topic in a while that's pushed into Windows vs Mac territory, I just want to remind everyone that we can discuss it, but not flame each other for OS choice. It hasn't happened yet, but let's not go there.
    completely understandable, no flame wars intended Not my care nor concern on someones computing preferences. to each his own in that aspect.

I've actually never heard about the code compatabilty issues you've brought up. good to know though.

also, I think you may have solved my problems Chaud. I was able to play WoW from an external HD last night (i keep it around for emergencies lol) and got in a solid 30 minutes of play time, all in dalaran, with no freeze ups. I still have the PCU underclocked to 2.66/2.66 Ghz, and I kept the graphics slider a step down from Ultra. Managed to keep and hold anywhere from 35 to 55 FPS in the dalaran area, while running, riding, and flying in, on, and around the immediate areas. Also, I accidentally misinformed you a slight bit to the GeForce 8800, it wasnt a GT, its an Ultra. Im returning to the two BFG 250s if the company will allow for a return.

I'm still holding my breath and crossing my fingers here as to the massive headache of an issue being resolved. As it stands now, I really appreciate the help. It was a bit of a no brainer on my part, not to simply reformat and fresh install everything. The verbal kick in the ass was healthy I suppose ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    In general, you will want to be as descriptive as possible. Anyone who has worked with troubleshooting computers will tell you that the most frustrating thing is to miss a simple solution because a piece of information didn't seem relevant. Best of luck!