Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Cataclysm Stat & System Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalman
    This seriously disgusts me. They want everything available to everyone and everything to be easier. Its fun deciding what gear to get and what might be better. I don't want to automatically look at gear for 2 seconds and be able to say, "That is better, 100% sure, no questioning it." Stats in this game are not complicated. I'm sorry, but if you think that it's complicated, then your bad, or have never talked to anybody about your class. I knew what I needed of my stats and what was good before any patches usually come out, or right after a patch.
    If anything, this is making the game LESS fun imo...
    That doesn't really make sense. There is not the world of theorycrafters that like a lot of different stats (even if they finally do the same thing) and the world of people that do not like theorycrafting.

Personnally, I like some things in theorycrafting. How things interact with each other, for example. How two stats may differ from each other as well.

Does having strength AND attack power on your gear add depth to the game ? Does it raise some interesting questions needing some new point of view ? Do these stats react differently say, to the encounter, the amount of move you'll have to make ?

No, it doesn't, because it does the same thing. It justs makes you hit harder. The ONLY question you need to ask is "what is the impact of each one in terms of pure dps", because appart from this, those statistics are the same.

Same question for Agility vs. Attack power. They finally make the same question rise.

And this question is :

a) easy to answer globally, and
    b) boring to answer in each particular case, because it is just a matter of testing (done by a spreadsheet).

I can't see how you can consider that opening Excel to test your gear is "interesting". It is boring.

Discussing the value of Armor Pen vs. Agility for a hunt is an interesting question, for it raises movement considerations (for example). Discussing the value of Str. vs. Attack power is totally boring. Just compute how much AP the strength gives. Compare this to the amount of AP. Wow ! Depth !

You can do the same for a rogue or a hunt : compare Agility VS AP. You just have to add crit in you "analysis", so it will depend of the amount of crit you already have. The mathematical question is deadly boring, and you use a spreadsheet because it's annoying to do the same computation three hundred times. In mathematical terms, it is as interesting as computing the amount of taxes you have to pay, WAHOOOOW SO COOL !

a lot of very good changers.

max weapon skill - pure win! the best change in there imo. it's a stupidly archaic notion to have to level 400 bloody points of weapon skill for each weapon you get.
    1 rank of spells - well this idea isn't new, but it's nice anyway. hopefully reduce ridiculously over the top training costs (100g every couple of levels > 70 is just crazy when you are trying to save for flying skills). also stops mages using rank 1 frostbolts for uber quick slows, which is good. it's basically exploiting the game as is.
    no defence on gear - about bloody time if you ask me. again another stupidly archaic notion to need defence rating.

some silly changes though, but have to see how they pan out:
    tanks - you will have less HP on tank gear than dps get on dps gear...um what? so you gotta gem stam to the max to make up for a lack of stamina on tank gear? unless I misread it, that seems silly
    how will dps casters be affected by taking healer gear with spirit on? there may not always be a viable non-spirit upgrade available, and a spirit-upgrade would be viable, but how will that impact non-healers?
    spellpower still left on weapons - why? just give them more intellect as you get better weapons? what's so hard about that?? just get rid of it all together..silly blizz.
    armour differences scaled down - why? they are reducing ArP - 100% (achievable) down to probably 10-20% passive for physical classes

http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Quote Originally Posted by jorge_av
    I tried to read through most of the comments, but I finally had to stop somewhere around page 14. I'm just curious how reforging would work. The blue post used odd words and I read several explanations that make sense. For example, an item with 50 crit and 50 hit can be changed to 50 crit and 25 haste. Or, 50 crit and 50 hit can be changed to 50 crit, 25 hit and 25 haste. I guess we'll have to see when they decide to give us more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    As a general rule of thumb, you’ll be able to convert one stat to 50% of another stat.
    50 Crit + 50 Hit ==> 50 Crit + 25 Haste (by removing hit you get 50% of it as haste)

I couldnt read all 38 pages gave up after middle but my question is what about Gnomes? I mean their 5% intellect Racial.. 5% might not seem a lot at first but its really a huge number when you play with end game gear. Out of around 12M players like 3M of them are Alliance Spell power users.. It means that -with Gnomeregan being taken back in a short time- we will be a big happy family inside Gnomeregan soon with around half of every server Alliance side as Gnomes.. I havent seen any changes about that racial bonus since now.. Any ideas?

Deleted

doesnt sound that bad , lets see how it works in practice

Intellect - Intellect will now grant Spell Power (more on this below). Intellect will also provide less mana than it currently does.
    ---
    •No Intellect on melee gear. Hunters won’t need Intellect since they will no longer use mana. Shaman and Retribution paladins will get mana and spell damage in other ways.
    ---

Now, that's interesting. I don't know how a Retribution Paladin works, but for an Enhancement Shaman, Intellect is a core stat (while for many other classes, as the post itself states, Intellect is not a "so cool stat" to gear into), with talents like Mental Dexterity (+100% of Intellect as AP) and Mental Quickness (+30% of AP as SP).
    Wondering how the whole Enhancement Shaman talent system will change, now that Intellect will be removed from our mail gear... (With intellect also providing SP, probably we would have had a surplus of SP, due to talents and SP provided by intellect itself. I think that's the main reason we are about to see Intellect vanishing from gear addressed to our class... but still, they could have just decided to nerf out talents, or something like that, so... I'm missing something , can't wait to read more about all this stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    spellpower still left on weapons - why? just give them more intellect as you get better weapons? what's so hard about that?? just get rid of it all together..silly blizz.
    Because right now caster's power does not scale as well with weapons as physical DPS classes do. Blizz needs a way to keep caster weapons within the item budget, make them over-proportionally better than a robe for instance, but without adding the side effects -aka mana- by stacking more INT.

How come, there is always someone who thinks he is so much more clever than the developers?

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo
    No it won't. You didn't pay enough attention to what was said
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    • You’ll have as much Stamina as you’re used to, though you may notice your tanking plate has a bit less Stamina than a comparable piece of DPS plate, since we tend to take the gem budget out of your most attractive stat.
    I think he was refering to this.. Didnt get that line much tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    All racials are being changed for Cata to bring them up to par with worgen/goblin ones.
    Oh true - i remember reading that but since it wasnt Gnome specific i think i havent payed attention on it much.. Thank you

10+ Year Old Account

If choosing gear isn't going to be any more harder or easier from these changes than it is now, how is the hell in this a dumbing down of the system? Really the way it is right now people just loot gear with higher ilvl, which is as easy like seeing which of two numbers is greater.

People will still do that in Cataclysm, but Reforging is going to hit those players in the face eventually.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted

So when the gear change patch comes out before Cata, am I gonna have a crapload of useless gems on my boomie??

Quote Originally Posted by jorge_av
    I tried to read through most of the comments, but I finally had to stop somewhere around page 14. I'm just curious how reforging would work. The blue post used odd words and I read several explanations that make sense. For example, an item with 50 crit and 50 hit can be changed to 50 crit and 25 haste. Or, 50 crit and 50 hit can be changed to 50 crit, 25 hit and 25 haste. I guess we'll have to see when they decide to give us more info.
    actually no, 50 crit + 50 hit can be changed to 75 crit + 25 hit as i understood how this will work...
    you can't remove stat to add another... you just can change distribution of existing stats on item...

well it sounds like cataclysm will change many things
    i feel very excited about all of that

Quote Originally Posted by igibum
    actually no, 50 crit + 50 hit can be changed to 75 crit + 25 hit as i understood how this will work...
    you can't remove stat to add another... you just can change distribution of existing stats on item...
    Actually , its quite the opposite. The new stat cannot already be on the item; you can’t reduce stamina to add additional strength, but you can reduce stamina to add hit rating to the item, for example. ( at 50% value of course ). Another example would be a lock trying to reforge a robe with spirit , you cant remove spirit to get more INT but you could get more Haste if it's not already on the item.

source : http://www.wow-cataclysm.info/reforg...-wow-cataclysm

btw , looking forward to changes

Yes an increase of the number of potentially shitty tanks. We know we are going to get that guy who says, F it i'll tank just to get this shit over with. Id rather have the guy who wants to roll tank in my "raid". Yeah i said "Raid". honestly nobody as far as i read into the comments mentioned Ret/Arm/Fury/... tanking in a raid situation. Who the fuck cares about heroic after a week(or less) at max lvl.

10+ Year Old Account

So, they simplify stats and makes things less messy.

Then they completely mess up hit rating by making the hit cap change for every tier of content!? wtf?

Now:
    Guild chat: "What's the hit cap for my class?"

After:
    Guild chat:
    "What's the hit cap?"
    "Depends..."
    "Huh?"
    "In T11 content, it is 567. in T12 content it's 622, in T13 it is 666..."
    "So, I need to have one set of gear for each content with different hit caps? "
    "Yep. And remember to switch around depending on what instance you go to"
    "Great. Glad they simplified stats"
    I highly doubt that this bullshit will go live. They removed EVERY sense of progression in this xpac so you can go from heroics -> ICC...

The above change would be a 180° turn, since it forces players to progress all raids in order to get that much hit/crit/whatever in order to do the proper and needed damage.

Also it's quite an idiotic mechanic to need different hit values for different encounters oO

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    The alternative being the current crappy situation where you only need 2-3 items with hit (likely from your tier set since you cannot avoid those) and then the rest of the gear with hit is utterly useless.
    this. it's better to have something to aim toward, then having 50% of your gear wasted because it has stats that are in excess to what you need. right now I'm using pvp gear to dps, e.g. wrathful belt, because it has:
    a) more strength than the equivalent pve item
    b) has more crit
    c) has more stamina (never really a bad thing)
    d) doesn't have hit rating which is wasted
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala
    I highly doubt that this bullshit will go live. They removed EVERY sense of progression in this xpac so you can go from heroics -> ICC...

The above change would be a 180° turn, since it forces players to progress all raids in order to get that much hit/crit/whatever in order to do the proper and needed damage.

Also it's quite an idiotic mechanic to need different hit values for different encounters oO
    You miss their point. The goal is for there never to be specifically undesirable stats.

Health go up between raid tiers, and it has to because enemies hit harder.
    Damage goes up between raid tiers, and it has to because enemies have more hit points.
    Healing goes up between raid tiers, and it has to because the fights are (should be) more complex.

Hit rating, Haste, and Crit are the only things that people talk about "caps" for, and after the cap they become increasingly useless. To the point that raiders have to decide to either take an upgrade from a new raid that has a ton of haste and then redesign the rest of their gear to not be so over-cap, or they just pass on that particular item and wait for an alternative with no hit. These changes make sure that Hit remains important, and an interesting choice (do I take this item for when we move into the next tier, or do I wait and hope I can get something there that will bump me up? Is this item a dps upgrade in this tier? Is it a dps upgrade in the next tier?).

It makes sense that along with their health and damage, bosses should scale how easily they are hit and crit as well. Hopefully they apply the same thinking to things like Dodge and Parry so we can avoid a "Deathwing-well Radiance" scenario in the last content tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Infallible
    Does anyone understand how Parry will work??

Parry - Parry no longer provides 100% avoidance and no longer speeds up attacks. Instead, when you parry an attack, it and the next attack will each hit for 50% damage (assuming they hit at all). In other words, Dodge is a chance to avoid 100% of the damage from one attack, Parry is a chance to avoid 50% of the damage from two attacks, and Block is a chance to avoid 30% of the damage from one attack.

If I Parry an attack, the next attach will do 50% damage. Does that mean that the second attack does not roll again on the hit table? Does that mean there is 0% chance to dodge that atatck.

An example would be where you know a massive hit is coming from a boss in the next few seconds, and you parry the attack before it. Does this mean you are definately going to take 50% dmg from the massive hit or is there still a chance to Dodge it completely?

N.B I think in general the changes seem good and it will make gear selection a lot easier and I love the option to shuffle your stats for different ones (even if it is only 50% of the choosen stat).
    I'm just gonna bold it for you. Basically, parry means you have a free shield wall for both this past attack, and the next one.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Our ultimate goal is make gear a more interesting (and less confusing) choice

yeah beacause we all know WOW is well known for its confusing gear-choices e.g. does defense rating help me not getting hacked when i click on a keylogger? does stamina help me in pug's? Will intellect make me quit the game?

ohh the confusion!

My main question is that they said that they were making haste more appealing to melee classes through regen rates like rune generation and energy, but how will the haste effect rage, if at all? Will we be stuck with the crappiest resource in the game for executing moves?

I have seen many people roll on gear simply because it is a higher ilvl.

I have barely made GS cutoffs for some PuG raids because I am still wearing a couple pieces of lower ilvl gear, because they are superior to most of the higher level items. For example, my destro warlock is still using the Abyssal Rune i200 trinket, because I have yet to win the Dislodged Foreign Object i264 trinket. I see many melee DPS'ers still using their Darkmoon trinkets.

The problem is for a lot of gear, you wouldn't know which gear is really an upgrade without a spreadsheet or external program like Rawr.

I see this as a move by Blizzard to try and eliminate the need for outside help for when determining gear upgrades.

Don't worry folks, you will still see min-maxers release guides on cookie cutter builds, preferred gems, recommended reforging goals, and so forth in Cata. You will see many threads in forums of people discussing which weapon procs are better than others, because Blizzard has stated they envision more gear like Nibelung to be in Cata where weapons have fun procs instead of additional stats.