Spirit tap in dungeons

Hi there,

I was wondering, if I'm healing in dungeon ( low lvl, 18 )
    I also noticed that It never 'procs', do I need to damage the mob for a percentage??
    Is healing not enough??
    If that's the way it is, can I better put my talents in some others cause I'm lvling with the dungeontool.

Thanks in advance! ;D

Deleted

Re: Spirit tap in dungeons

You need to get the killing blow on a mob, to proc it.

Edit: Mighty as well throw this one in too: As a healing priest, there is no talent in the Shadow tree worth taking. If you level up through questing, the two Spirit Taps are good, but you might as well go full shadow instead. Levelling through instances, ignore the tree completely!

Spirit tap only procs when something dies that you were engaged with ( even if you are healing because the talent says When yielding experience or honor ) so you wont have it during a fight but if your tank is fast enough you can carry it into your next fight.
    And being a shadow priest i always get it when i was just involved with the death of something so killing blow isnt nessecary i don't believe double check and let me know.

Thank you guys for the quick responses,
    I'll ignore them and go further in Disc for Meditation.
    I think that is better for me ;D

Deleted

You need the killing blow to proc Spirit Tap, not just to be involved in the kill. That means you'll only get it at the end of a fight, and only if you were the one to deal the damage that ultimately killed the mob.

For leveling as holy or disc in dungeons, you don't want any points in shadow. Your regen will be terrible at first but don't worry you'll get your own talents to help with that.

if you only heal in dungeons the 3 points in spirit tap could be a waste, but isn't necessarily so. you can still get a killing blow. mind blast is nice damage and you only need to time it right. it's not like there's constant need for healing in low level dungeons. however, there's no real need to be healingspeced to heal low level dungeons either....

for smite-builds spirit tap is still the best points in the entire build.

Quote Originally Posted by tatienne
    if you only heal in dungeons the 3 points in spirit tap could be a waste, but isn't necessarily so. you can still get a killing blow. mind blast is nice damage and you only need to time it right. it's not like there's constant need for healing in low level dungeons. however, there's no real need to be healingspeced to heal low level dungeons either....

for smite-builds spirit tap is still the best points in the entire build.
    So far this has worked for me, but to save time drinking and avoid slowing down a good group, I make a point of casting a holy fire/mind blast just before a mob dies to take advantage of spirit tap. It doesn't always work, but i'm getting better. As for spirit tap being a waste, I disagree with prior posters. So far, I'm easily healing 5 mans using dungeon finder with 3 points in Shadow (spirit tap) and the rest in Holy with a focus on Holy DPS. Obviously, at 40 I will dual spec and this won't be an issue (Shadow and Disc, I think), but for now, I would take spirit tap and then put the rest in Holy. It allows for speedy leveling (once you hit 20 and get Holy Fire) and easy healing. Pick up the smite glyph and once you have 4/5 of Divine Fury you can holy fire, smite, smite, wand and almost any mob of equal or lower level is dead.

Spirit Tap works well if you can talent into Surge of Light and you have a decent crit rate while leveling. You just hold off the SoL until a mob's almost gone, then insta-smite for ST. Still, it's very conditional and you're probably better off using the SoL proc for a heal. Furthermore, casting a DPS spell costs mana anyway, so you have to subtract that from the mana you'd be regenerating, plus the time you lose from casting the Mind Blast/Holy Fire. It's probably better to make sure you don't overheal during battle and only cast heals when it's necessary.