Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Posting about "Blizzard" Emails will earn you a ban!

We know they are 99.99% scams, you don't need to warn people, you don't need to ask if it is a scam. Stop posting about them. Read this and don't ask questions answered by following the steps.

http://eu.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=38550
    http://eu.battle.net/en/security/checklist
    Last edited by chaud; 2010-12-02 at 02:42 AM.

Re: Posting about "Blizzard" Emails will get you a Ban!

Thank god, I was getting sick of seeing all the posts.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

o no another email from a website that mispelled worldofwarcraft.com should i go to it?
    Tycat was here

Thank you.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    We know they are 99.99% scams, you don't need to warn people, you don't need to ask if it is a scam. Stop posting about them.
    OMG!! THANK YOU!!!
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Marrowgar
    Bad move.

There are still people out there who visit MMOC and don't have the capability to distinguish between a real Blizzard mail and a fake one. Doesn't matter if they're stupid or not, helping them is way more appropriate than flaming them.

Oh wait, th3s3 r t3h MMO-C forums, if you're a moderator and you're not a 'bad boi', you're nothing.
    Dear Lord Marrowgar.

Take your shit somewhere else and while you're at it - would you please exit these forums in the form of a BOOOOONEEEESTOOOORRRRM!! (Please?)

I agree but I also still agree with this -

There are still people out there who visit MMOC and don't have the capability to distinguish between a real Blizzard mail and a fake one.
    Meh

Quote Originally Posted by Yakisoba
    I agree but I also still agree with this -

Meh
    I guess they will have to use search function now ???

Deleted

We have stickies up to inform people about those mails. If a new mail appears, that can be added to an existing thread instead of making a new one for each mail.

We've been asking from the start that people would use the search function before they post a new thread. It's a shame we need to resort to such strict rules because people can't or won't listen.

Oh wait, th3s3 r t3h MMO-C forums, if you're a moderator and you're not a 'bad boi', you're nothing.
    There's no need for this please. Refrain from commenting our work if you can't do it in a constructive manner.

Im sorry, but all you people that say its easy to spot a fake are just bellends. For example I just received one which was very convincing.

Sent: 03 March 2010 23:57:06
    To: xxx@hotmail.com
    Greetings!
    This is an automated notification regarding the recent change(s) made to your World of Warcraft account.
    Your password has recently been modified through the Password Recovery website.

*** If you made this password change, please disregard this notification.
    However, if you did NOT make changes to your password, we recommend you Login verify your password:
    htp://www.very-legit-and-spelt-correctly-website-was-here.com
    If you are unable to successfully verify your password using the automated system, please contact Billing & Account Services at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499) Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm Pacific Time or at billingXblizzard.com.

Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives typically must lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The World of Warcraft Support Team
    Blizzard Entertainment

Maybe I am an idiot, but I really couldnt find a single fault in that after quite a while of looking at it.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Squidlips
    Im sorry, but all you people that say its easy to spot a fake are just bellends. For example I just received one which was very convincing.

Greetings!
    This is an automated notification regarding the recent change(s) made to your World of Warcraft account.

However, if you did NOT make changes to your password, we recommend you Login verify your password:
    If you are unable to successfully verify your password using the automated system, please contact Billing & Account Services at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499) Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm Pacific Time or at billingXblizzard.com.

Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives typically must lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment

Maybe I am an idiot, but I really couldnt find a single fault in that after quite a while of looking at it.
    I had the same email and I did 2 things.

1) Hovered over the link to see a fake link (Java script or something) instead of just the URL
    2) Logged into the game and... oh... my password hasn't been changed.

That and... pro tip...PEOPLE WHO STEAL STUFF OFF OF YOUR ACCOUNT DON'T BOTHER TO CHANGE THE PASSWORD.

They just login, take stuff, and leave it.

I've never heard of anyone going "The damn hackers changed my password aswell" its always "I've/I think I've been hacked!"

Greetings!

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment

you could just... you know... maybe try logging in?

Quote Originally Posted by clampy

1) Hovered over the link to see a fake link (Java script or something) instead of just the URL

That and... pro tip...PEOPLE WHO STEAL STUFF OFF OF YOUR ACCOUNT DON'T BOTHER TO CHANGE THE PASSWORD.

I've never heard of anyone going "The damn hackers changed my password aswell" its always "I've/I think I've been hacked!"
    Or use common sense and realise Blizzard will NEVER ask you to verify your password or do anything at all with it like...ever.

Well, youre all incorrect. My GF was hacked not long ago and they changed her pass, moved several characters around servers etc. She only found out as there was a legit mail from blizz about the password change. Unfortunately shes abit daft and shares the same password for everything so they had her email account too

Well, youre all incorrect. My GF was hacked not long ago and they changed her pass, moved several characters around servers etc. She only found out as there was a legit mail from blizz about the password change. Unfortunately shes abit daft and shares the same password for everything so they had her email account too
    This happened to me as well, except they didn't annex my email account.

I also figured Blizzard would never ask me to verify, but when I tried to log on, it told me that the password was incorrect.
    So, instead of following the link in the email (I would never do that, even if it was legit), I'd find my way to the Battle.net website and simply reset my password. However, when I logged in I found half my characters transferred and a crapload of stuff missing. Fortunately got it all back!

Deleted

wtf?

not this, when my account was hacked they changed my pass instantly, this is a while ago i gues the customer support is better now but they were in full control of my acc for 8 days while blizzard took their sweet time answering my mails.

in that time i saw my character turned into a mine / herb farm bot, which i am quite pleased to say, i hunted down and killed on my horde side hunter until i got my acc back.

But yeah, they will not steal and leave when they can get more out of the character.
    Again im not sure what response time is anymore and how its handled but getting hacked is really shit

i didnt get hacked through an email though it was on blizz hunter forums saying something about the mage season 4 gear and something about how it was OP, bleh clicked a link, bleh scanned afterwards couldnt turn up anything -> got hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamonium*
    i didnt get hacked through an email though it was on blizz hunter forums saying something about the mage season 4 gear and something about how it was OP, bleh clicked a link, bleh scanned afterwards couldnt turn up anything -> got hacked
    No, you didn't get hacked. Hacking involves the person trying to access your machine doing something, which did not happen to you. You installed malware on your own machine by clicking a totally random link in a place it had no business being. Your post is thus the virtual equivalent of handing your house keys over to a complete stranger, then telling the police there's been a break-in when everything goes missing.

I agree with the policy of not posting further "warnings" about dodgy e-mails. If, after several months of Blizzard's message of the day including "Beware of dodgy e-mails pretending to be Blizzard", a tip telling you that Blizzard employees will never ask for your password and dozens of threads telling you about the dodgy e-mails, you still click on one of these links, then you are too stupid to be allowed to play this game.

and yet they often add authentificators?

Quote Originally Posted by Taurentony
    Dear Lord Marrowgar.

Take your shit somewhere else and while you're at it - would you please exit these forums in the form of a BOOOOONEEEESTOOOORRRRM!! (Please?)
    = "Hey i can kiss moderator ass and still try to be funny! OH YEAH BABY IM HIP AND COOL!"
    BoOoOoOmMmM!

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    If you even consider looking into it further without first trying to see whether you can log into game or not, then yes, you sir are an idiot.
    I think he's just saying that when he was looking at the email, before he did anything else, he thought it was real.

I got that one too, thought it was real at first. Then I hovered over the link.