Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightwell (yes another, but i have cookies inside!)

first off /cookie now to business-

so all the topics i have read about lightwell have been to change it to something that still does healing. my thoughts are these:
    1. it requires dpsers to become healers. if they wanted to do this they would roll heals.
    2. it requires dpsers to be spatially aware. if they were, they would be, well, good players.

these are the two main problems i see with lightwell. in order fix these, make it a healer centered item. healers, in my experience anyways, pay attention more and are always looking for ways to make their heals more effective/bigger. if lightwell were changed to be a healing buff, instead of a hot, i feel it would be an incredible spell that would be worth its talent point. for example: clicking the lightwell will infuse the target with holy power, making his next X healing spells apply a hot on the target for Y% of the amount healed. or just straight up increase the amount healed on your next X spells by Y.

these ideas make lightwell a great OSHI- button when there is going to be big incoming raid/tank damage and all healers need a boost. paired with bloodlust, or even when BL is down, this would empower all healers. priests seem to be getting pushed into a support/raid heal role and while some people reject this idea and do not wish to become this, if you are a necessary support healer this is the same as being a necessary tank healer(pallies...).

some might ask why not do something like, decrease mana cost/increase haste of next X spells cast. well i point you to the disc tree where there is a talent that does this(PI). holy is about big heals. this implementation of lightwell would follow those ideals and bring that power to other healers, all while introducing a new and interesting mechanic.

what are your thoughts? do you think this would add too much complication to healing? to me i like the comradeship that healers in close guilds have and this would add an another great element to that. instead of healers saying, lol who dropped a lightwell, it will become: sweet! theres a lightwell down! gotta get me some of that healing bonus!

oh, and dont forget to go back to the top to get any cookies that are left over

edit: spelling

Re: Lightwell (yes another, but i have cookies inside!)

A healing buff doesn’t seem unique or anything like what lightwell is now. But I agree DPS have never been good about using it. If they are low on health anticipate/expect a healer to heal them soon and never click on a lightwell if one’s down.

I would like to see it as a smart heal, that heals anyone in range who drops below 50% health until the charges are used up.

part of the point of suggesting this change is that it obviously isnt working or useful to most people in its current implementation. making it a static pulse heal or even a mobile floating holy nova spam just seems uninteresting and boring to me. to me the key element of lightwell is that it is interactive. everything about this game has become more and more: things happen for free cuz im too lazy to do it myself. lightwell still requires awareness and player input to be effective, which i like. also, blizzard has said they dont want to make it a totem so that kinda kills it.

as to you saying it doesnt feel unique, how so? what other spells can buff all healers effectiveness? sure totems and BL and other buffs, but those are either static or in the case of BL, more used to buff dps than healers. obviously there are some exceptions or its paired with 3 inhale fester to help heals out, but its main purpose is still to benefit dpsers more.

healers need some love, imo. dpsers get all these cool proc and use weapons and trinkets. healers get- Use: restore X mana. or Chance on spellcast: gain X mp5. WEEEEEEEEEEE we're havin fun now. idk thats just my thought. give it a cool animation where you glow or something when you click it.

not trying to come off as overly harsh, these are just my opinions. itd be nice as a healer to have something to click on other than my whack-a-mole bars.

I think they should make em like they are in TOC 5m for the priest before 2nd boss -

Work like a lightwell taht shoots the heals out from where its planted and have a range on it.
    it could be handy in some fight to place it before big raid dmg inc. or if you have to move alot between 2 spots etc. - nice @ Blood prince to place this in the room and then be able to run around.

while the toc lightwell looks neat and would be a quick easy fix, it essentially makes it a healing stream totem. there is no interaction or awareness required by the priest or anyone else except to hit the spell every 3 minutes and get shiny free heals. so many procs and abilities in this game are going towards doing things for you. the priest t10, while clunky and not the best implementation, was neat. it required you to pay attention to get the full benefit. people complain about things being too complicated or dont like having to watch for buffs, but then complain that content is too easy and needs to be buffed and theyre bored.

idk, to me this keeps an element of game awareness that will keep people from being bored. and it gives holy priests another healing cooldown that works much like GS but essentially can be applied to the entire raid. albeit in a weaker form but a GS for the whole raid might be viewed as being on the OP side of things.

does anyone else feel this way or do people really want it to just be a button that says, GIEFMEFREEHAELZNAUGH?

the biggest problems for me as a dps are:
    -time to actually switch targets to get the buff and to switch back to my current target (which can be made harder by intervening melee suddenly jumping or just being draenei males)
    -finding the lolwell without hitting friendly players instead.
    -I have generally very low knowledge of my healers responsibilities and that tends to make it more of a wasted charge

this coupled with the fact that it's still a 6 second hot healing after 3 and 6 seconds (nothing up front) makes it really unique... so unique that not many use it (nor does any newcomers to the game who don't play priests even know what it is.)

exactly. thats why im taking it out of the dps's hands and putting it in the hands of the healers. from what ive experienced, few people start out wanting to heal. they want to melt faces. so when they do spec heals or level a healing class, they have a deeper understanding of the game. obviously in higher end guilds everyone has a better understanding of the game so this might not be an issue, but in everyday azeroth, healers tend to be more aware of other classes than someone who only has a dps class. thus the reason for making it a buff only to healers that click it since they will be more likely to know that clicking it is good and worthwhile.

i just said everyday azeroth... brb /wrists.

edit for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by caerbannog
    while the toc lightwell looks neat and would be a quick easy fix, it essentially makes it a healing stream totem. there is no interaction or awareness required by the priest or anyone else except to hit the spell every 3 minutes and get shiny free heals. so many procs and abilities in this game are going towards doing things for you. the priest t10, while clunky and not the best implementation, was neat. it required you to pay attention to get the full benefit. people complain about things being too complicated or dont like having to watch for buffs, but then complain that content is too easy and needs to be buffed and theyre bored.

idk, to me this keeps an element of game awareness that will keep people from being bored. and it gives holy priests another healing cooldown that works much like GS but essentially can be applied to the entire raid. albeit in a weaker form but a GS for the whole raid might be viewed as being on the OP side of things.

does anyone else feel this way or do people really want it to just be a button that says, GIEFMEFREEHAELZNAUGH?
    Supporting your view: Blizz has already said they don't want LW to be another fire-and-forget heal, so suggestions that it work like the one in ToC5 aren't going to get much traction.

As far as people complaining about interactivity, easiness, this and that as you said: Different people complain.
    Some people want an easier game, a different group of "some people" want a harder game. When the game is made easier, the latter group complains. When it's made harder, the former group complains.

Many of the complaints about interactivity are more to do with such things being unilateral.
    In this case, LW is very powerful but costs DPSers crucial uptime. As such, if Holy were really balanced around LW being used, then Holy would be the only healer demanding that much extra thought out of players. DPS wouldn't want that, and Holy would quickly become obsolete. Even if eventually Blizz wanted all healers to work in this way, unless every healer gets that change more or less at once, everyone will gripe.

It has already been stated in a blue post that they wont allow Lightwell to become just a "totem for priests"... So I would not expect it to be like the ToC5 model...

Imo, use the current version but add a temp buff (+dmg/+heal) for those that clicks on it...

yea thatd be nice too. but i feel like they would have to nerf the heal that it does to add the damage/healing buff which then gets into the realm of mirror image for mages where it is doing two jobs, and doing both poorly. it isnt the best PVP WTF button and it isnt really a dps increase(4pt10 aside) or great threat dump. making it do too many jobs just limits how well it can do each job without it becoming either more expensive and unattractive to the priest, or over-budget and over powered. the only way i can see it remaining a heal on click is if they make the range 100 yards and make it easier to click, ie bigger. otherwise the dps just arent going to see it as being worth it to click. and honestly, like i said earlier, they expect to be healed without having to do anything themselves (outside of warlock HS's which they can keybind).

Hmmm. How is this for an idea:

Lightwell
    Places a Lightwell at the target area. All heals to the Lightwell will be distributed between the lowest level health players within 10 yards of the Lightwell.

Either smart or just splitting the heal between the three(?) lowest health members near it. That way if they are taking a lot of raid damage they can stand near it, but not have to target it any more and lose DPS, and it gives the Priest some more control.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

These are the worst cookies ever.

OT: I had an idea for Lightwell to be a wipe recovery move...like an AoE guardian spirit. Liiiike "increases healing done by X% and attacks that would kill any party/raid members within 30 yards of the lightwell will heal the player for 50% of their health, this effect can only occur once on each player during the lightwell's duration".

Of course, give it a longer cooldown than the whatever it is now...3 minutes, I think it's at? I dunno...something like this would probably be like 15 minutes.

Probably have to move it from where it is now, too....

@abandon: the only problem i see with that is fights that require a lot of movement. people wont be able to stand next to the lightwell long enough for it to be effective. and it basically makes lightwell healbot or grid or any other kind of healing addon but in one button. it oversimplifies things. and if by splitting you didnt mean actually dividing but doing a sort of beacon of light and duplicating the heal, that would be neat. but again it loses value on movement heavy fights where the priest cant stand still to heal and the dps/tanks cant stay near the lightwell. on a fight like marrow or fester it would be OP and cool as hell tho.

to me it seems that fights that are high on raid damage discourage stacking (BWL/bonestorm/ranged on fester) and fights with spike damage allow it( pretty much any other boss) so it runs counter to what lightwell is designed for. if there is going to be high amounts of raid damage, people cant stack to get the hot, but if there is just spike damage, the one or two people that take damage will be healed before the hot has a chance to tick.

maybe in cata this will be the opposite and using lightwell will be pro. who knows. i'm just trying to find ideas that will work in the most situations to the full extent that it is meant to. 31 point talents shouldnt be 'situational at best'. those are for trainable spells. at least imo.

yea i used baking powder instead of baking soda... <.<

that would be an awesome lvl 85 spell. i just think it would be too much for a 31pt talent.

and i'll work on making more cookies

Quote Originally Posted by caerbannog
    yea i used baking powder instead of baking soda... <.<

that would be an awesome lvl 85 spell. i just think it would be too much for a 31pt talent.

and i'll work on making more cookies
    I guess you're talking to me. It did occur to me that it would be really overpowered for a 31 point talent which is why I think it could top off the tree or be made into a level 85 spell so that disc priests don't miss out on all the fun.

And make peanut butter cookies this time!

Make it a vehicle that shoots greater heals every GCD for like 10 secs!!!!!!!(anyone can drive)
    Quote from: Moshy on February 22, 2010, 05:36:54 am
    Dear Blizzard
    Nerf paper, It covers me all the time and I cant do anything about it
    Scissors are fine, They just need to learn to play
    Signed Rock.

bake-o wins. everyone loves vehicles! lol.

and im out of peanut butter :-\ i'll go get some

I would love a Churchform.
    Or Confetti Explosion.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

15+ Year Old Account

Make light well a well that shoots aoe heals the people near it. Like in 5 man ToC

Quote Originally Posted by hellar
    Make light well a well that shoots aoe heals the people near it. Like in 5 man ToC
    Blizz specifically said that they do not want it do to that.