Priest moderators, and Venara (Global)

Real quick, just noticed you're putting the lock hammer on any and every post discussing the news of the changed t10 4piece set bonus.

What's your problem? You very crudely talk down to people for not searching the forums for a topic of this nature before creating a new one. Is that either necessary or appropriate?

Not to be rude, but:
    - Relax, these forums can move quickly.
    - This is new news, what's the problem if people don't feel inclined to search for any related topic before posting?
    - The search feature on mmo-champion isn't all that streamline to begin with.

If you treated every thread in a similar fashion there would probably only be 15 or so threads here as most all of them relate to gear, specs, patch changes and rotation.

*edit*
    Not trying to fight nor asking for a ban/whatever. I've lurked these forums for years, and just recently became registered. I can't remember thread-locking with such fervor ever before.

Topic reopened, and merged with another thread. Please keep things civil, however.
    --Kelesti

Re: Priest moderators, and Venara (Global)

Ooooh this is going to go downhill in a hurry.

But yeah. I never understood why people get anal about how you HAVE TO USE THE SEARCH FEATURE OMG! Message forum = form of communication = people asking questions and awaiting an answer. Yeah maybe the information is printed somewhere else, but when a guy comes up to you on the street and asks you a question you know the answer to, you don't punch him in the mouth and tell him to go to the library.

or do you

There's one thing to be asking questions, but when there's a full discussion going on in a similar topic, it's completely redundant and only crowds the forums to have a repeat of everything in a second topic.

Most of the time the question has been answered in another forum already, and people just don't seem to care. I, myself, either merge them or delete them (most of the time without saying I'm doing it). Be grateful Venara at least leaves them up for a little bit before I come to them.

Besides, if you have something to add to a discussion (ex. 4pc) that wasn't asked in the previous topics (ex. About 4pc), adding it to that topic fleshes it out and may bring additional info forward, both to your question and above/beyond that.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Is moderation of the Priest forum a valid topic in the Priest forum?

I've been looking around a bit recently and I've started to develop an opinion of my own on one of our moderators in particular. I think many posters have been here a lot longer than me and I would value your opinion on this.

How do you think our 2 Priest moderators are doing in this forum?

Um, I hate to say it, but I do think that perhaps there's a degree of overkill going on. When the ban hammer hits on the priest class forum for a new thread which would not even raise eyebrows on the shaman forum (hitherto the most heavily policed of the classes ), I start to wonder if speech is being unnecessarily chilled.

I'm against random trolling, and the priest forums had certainly become truly troll-ful, but much of this isn't trolling in the true sense. It's not somebody saying something provocative and dumb to raise ire, it's somebody saying something semi-sensible but expressing themselves badly - which is not imo worthy of a ban.

this thread possibly justified a lock, but seems hard to justify as a ban. Actually I don't even think it should have been locked, multiple threads on the same topic often end up taking the discussion in different directions. They can be interesting.

I remember seeing a thread about priests being underpowered getting locked down a few weeks ago. Again it wasn't an a priori bad thread, though it had potential to become one.

I do think that we were under-moderated before, but there is a danger in over-moderating that the board becomes so dull that the smart posters leave along with the trolls. I must confess I've been spending more and more time on the paladin forums myself.

You're more than welcome to discuss our class moderators in open. Myself included. I'll actually step forward and involve myself here, and I am open to a few shots aimed in my direction, but let's keep some peace in here (no flame wars, please).

As far as this thread, it was an open troll. I let a lot of things slide, but that was just a "here, let me start a new topic about a topic already in existence so I can just go "hah I told you so", nubs!"

Maybe I had the wrong context from that quote right there, but it was trolling nonetheless. First offense troll is a 7-day ban, and I'm often a little light on that (my few bans with one exception have been 1,3, and 5, circumstances varying). This one never was a seven day either, for that matter.

A lot of my stuff isn't seen, it isn't thanked, and that's quite alright. It's what I do, and why I do it.

We step on some toes for preventative measures, and maybe I myself will take a step back from that (as I have been merging instead of locking/deleting, lately, whenever I can).

Topic merged with an earlier locked thread. Let's let this play out, for now.
    --Kelesti

Edit: D'oh, I merged but forgot to Unlock. *head2desk*

Second Edit: In response to the above posts (directed mostly at Venara) I don't generally care about the search feature. It sorta sucks, and will probably continue to suck until we get our forums shifted out of this software into a solid upgrade. I do, however, find myself annoyed at people who create a topic that's already related to (or sometimes the exact same question) as something already present on the front page. If you can go back more than one without finding it, depending on how old it is, I may merge the two or just let it slide. But no front page, please. >.>

I have zero brain power at this late hour, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm glad to see my criticism was peacefully received here. It probably won't help anything to keep this thread going further. I doubt anyone wants to sit and point fingers, at least I don't. I think that just because my initial post was noted and commented on by another moderator is enough progress. Working as intended today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    As far as this thread, it was an open troll. I let a lot of things slide, but that was just a "here, let me start a new topic about a topic already in existence so I can just go "hah I told you so", nubs!"
    Sure there was another topic in existence, but it had degenerated into 'absorbs aren't healing - NAH-NAH-NANA-NAH', and the point that indeed often they ARE healing as far as the talent tree is concerned was and still is being completely ignored.

Sometimes secondary, even tertiary threads on the same topic bring additional features of the discussion out. Sometimes they just become exactly the same thread as before, normally they die out naturally when that happes.

Maybe I had the wrong context from that quote right there, but it was trolling nonetheless.
    Trolling really is when one says something so provocatively wrong that people can't help but /rage. He wasn't trolling because what he said was actually true. Had he said :

'Disco should have absorbs reduced by 30% in ICC' that would clearly have been trolling because it would be so insane. If he had said 'Holy priests just want disco to be nerfed because you're jealous', that would have been trolling. Saying 'Talents that talk of healing also boost absorbs, and none of you have an answer to that', albeit less temperately, wasn't trolling - because it was true. It was an attempt to reframe the debate, in a new thread - if you hadn't locked it I'd certainly have started posting in that one rather than the other.

We step on some toes for preventative measures, and maybe I myself will take a step back from that (as I have been merging instead of locking/deleting, lately, whenever I can).
    Sure - I'm a HUGE fan of Levva over on the shaman forums, there's a guy not afraid to let the ban hammer fall. I'm just suggesting that you let threads live a page or two before you rain down Holy Fire upon them, and get smiting.

80% of the time they'll be as bad as you were expecting, oh well - no real harm done. 20% of the time some good stuff will be in there. Like it or not the OP and the first page of a thread often defines the discussion. Sometimes the 2nd or 3rd thread on a topic often are more useful.

BTW - I'm pretty sure there was a thread on the new 4-set bonus which got merged into the thread on the old 4-set bonus or just killed outright (not sure by whom). Perhaps that appealed to a sense of neatness - it's all about 4-set - but it's actually really confusing. I don't think it's a coincidence that a topic that should have a LOT of people interested and posting is kinda waning already.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bw13187
    but when a guy comes up to you on the street and asks you a question you know the answer to, you don't punch him in the mouth and tell him to go to the library.

or do you
    Holy crap I am so doing that!

But seriously. The search tool can be helpful but it is also confusing for a LOT of people and a lot of the time it does not answer the specific question. Its like those commercials for Bing, they start out with something close to what your looking for but then skew off rather fast. Before you know it a Grace vs Serendipity question is referring you to an Orc QQing for a more graceful /dance animation. Its happened.

But on the other hand Venara and Kelesti are some of the most forgiving and helpful moderators I have seen on here. Seriously, go look at the rogue forum. There are a LOT of locks and bans going on over there. sigh, Spiritus would know what to do....

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by PriestLuna
    I think that just because my initial post was noted and commented on by another moderator is enough progress. Working as intended today.
    I probably would've deleted your post had I seen it sooner. You are welcome to voice your complaints via PM or E-Mail but questioning a moderators decision in a thread is covered in our guidelines as a prohibited course of action.

11. Discussing disciplinary actions, moderators or Moderator actions
    Actions taken against a member of the community are not to be discussed in public on the forums. Opinions about specific moderators or moderator actions (locking, deleting threads, etc) are also not to be discussed in posts or threads.

If you have questions, remarks, suggestions or complaints about moderating in general or specific moderators, please contact our website admin through a private message.

If you have questions, remarks, suggestions or complaints about a moderation action, such as a ban, deletion or lock, feel free to contact the moderator in question, or any moderator on our team.
    Also, we already have a thread for the topic you wanted to discuss in yours. This is also covered in our guidelines.

13.3. Use the search function before creating a new thread
    On an active community such as MMO-Champion, a lot of new threads are made every day. So before you start making your own thread about a topic, first use the forum search function to ensure that nobody else has already recently created a thread about the topic you wish to post about.

Quite often, a similar thread already exists, and there really is no point in restarting a discussion in a separate thread when a subject can be discussed in one thread.
    Feel free to contact me via PM. If you want to use this thread to further voice your opinions on Kelesti, who agreed to do this in the open, then go ahead. Discussing other moderators without their approval will result in a lock.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that I won't discuss my actions if necessary but I will do so in private from case to case. There is a reason why we do not allow this openly. Please try to understand that.

Cheers,
    Venara
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

You forgot to lock this thread as well Venara. There's nothing of interest for everybody else to see here, but personal bashing, hence it shouldn't stay open, no matter if Kelesti want a open flamewar or not.

And oh, your Avatar is dead.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    And oh, your Avatar is dead.
    Oh noez, need to fix it as soon as I get home :<

Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Oh noez, need to fix it as soon as I get home :<
    To be fair, I'm seeing it just fine?

Edit: But some days I see the tiny red "x".

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    To be fair, I'm seeing it just fine?

Edit: But some days I see the tiny red "x".
    Probably your browsers cache. I bet it'll be gone if you empty it. My lima-city.de webspace where I host some images and stuff is down atm, so nobody should be able to see it with a clear cache. Gotta switch to something more reliable. Lima's down very often lately.

Anybody got suggestions for a free hoster with a few hundred MB webspace? Preferrably not awfully slow / always down. PM me, thanks!

the priest moderators here do seem to take their jobs pretty seriously.

15+ Year Old Account

This is a useless thread, I don't mind criticism, but without proof they are just mindless opinions. Please point out moderation faults I make, not just "dis mod is bad", it's on par with "first" or "my class is worse than that class" statements.

This has nothing to do with Priest discussion. Please follow the quotes Venara posted or my Inbox is always open, I'm sure a few can attest that I am rather helpful even in private.