ICC boss adds, which are worth doting?

I have always wondered which of the following are worth using VT or even all 3 dots on and whether its just better to nuke them.

Marrowgar spikes?
    Deathwhisper adds?
    Saurfang fiends?

Obviously on something like lich king you dot the raging but these 3 have so low health I wonder if its worth fully dotting them.
    'u get constant hit by ice shit from roof so you can travel instantly all across the room'

Re: ICC boss adds, which are worth doting?

If you're affliction and you're not putting corruption on anything red, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixstorm
    If you're affliction and you're not putting corruption on anything red, you're doing it wrong.
    wow...just wow...

you a) didn't notice its the priest forum and b) didn't notice VT
    'u get constant hit by ice shit from roof so you can travel instantly all across the room'

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixstorm
    Except... Shadow Priests can't spec Affliction or cast Corruption...

On LDW's adds and Saurfang's Fiends, the only DoT I use (personally) is SW:P, since I pretty much just Mind Flay the crap out of them anyway. I don't even bother with DoTs on Bonespikes- I just Mind Flay spam since they tend to die so fast.

It very much depends on your overall raid dps, methinks. In general, I find that the Marrowgar spikes and Deathwhisper adds are mostly not worth dotting up, unless it's a transformed melee-immune add.

On Saurfang, I guess it depends on how your guild does it. If you all just nuke them down one by one, it might not work. But if you split them up, I'm sure dotting one or two up might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by talrob
    I have always wondered which of the following are worth using VT or even all 3 dots on and whether its just better to nuke them.

Marrowgar spikes?
    Deathwhisper adds?
    Saurfang fiends?

Obviously on something like lich king you dot the raging but these 3 have so low health I wonder if its worth fully dotting them.
    VT only needs to tick once or twice and it's doign the same if not more damage than any other spell for it's execution time... that means that using VT on adds is generally always worthwhile...

In the case of Marrowgar spikes, I find it's touch and go... sometimes they seem to drop immediately, however sometimes they take forever (particularly if people like to stand out by themselves) so i'd probably just DoT the ones not near the melee..

Deathwhisper adds, most certainly, however you probably only get range and time to dot up one side, I choose the left side coz it has more of the melee immune adds than the right.

Saurfang adds, absolutely, you can get 5 dots on the adds quickly and considering melee can't risk hitting them I find it skeptical that your range can kill the adds b4 VT ticks at least 3 times.

What you'll find is that DP is usually on a main target so doesn't really come into it... however if for some reason you can DP it is worth it if you can get a majority of its duration to be effective. SW:P is usually never worth it... it really depends on whether you are just dotting the add or also nuking it... go with VT only and you can't go too wrong.

Should also add I was thinking of 10 man hard modes...which limits the knowledge base a bit.

For marrowgar bone spikes I tend to find more damage done if I just use mind blast/mind flay and swd. Generally the spikes are all dead within 5 seconds.

Casting VT takes little over one second, then wait another 2 seconds for it to tick... anyway Im saying that u'd probably do more dmg with a mind blast immediately followed by a swd and a mind flay if its still not quite dead