High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

"Hypothetical" question. >: -)

Let's say that I'm a dumbarse.
    Okay, that's not hypothetical, it could actually be true.

And let's say that I'm not sure how to get my damage to show up on World of logs or WWS or whatever the heck it's called.

And let's say that I did the 3rd highest dps ever on twins in ToC last night for an Arcane Mage on USA servers.
    Hypothetically.
    (I know, old content, but I'm still proud.)

All I have, hypothetically, for proof is my current recount totals and some screenshots.
    What would need to be done to add my name to the database, or make sure that if I can hit that number again in the future, it's going to be added next time?

I am like a helmet-wearing kindergarten student when it comes to parses and logs and the like, but I can pew-pew like the devil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickster
    does any1 know how much these new heirlooms will cost ?:O
    Quote Originally Posted by Diseous
    $15 a month

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Performance correlates to a function of your skill and your gear level, it doesn't matter how high one is if the other is low.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: "Hypothetical" question. >: -)

The only way that you will be able to be "ranked" is if some one loged the combat log for that fight and uploads it. Other than that there is no real way to be 100% sure that the dmg and or dps was not "fake" thus won't be counted.

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear

If you did the most dps ever on recount, you didn't do the most dps ever. Recount tracks active dps, not effective dps. Unless you "won" on skada or an actual damage parse, then I wouldn't worry, because you didn't :x

15+ Year Old Account

Recount's "Damage Done" is equivalent to effective dps.

Besides, I could always modify some logs to make my dps uber awesome before I upload them.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd
    If you did the most dps ever on recount, you didn't do the most dps ever. Recount tracks active dps, not effective dps. Unless you "won" on skada or an actual damage parse, then I wouldn't worry, because you didn't :x
    You almost seem offended at the prospect that this may actually be true.
    I would love to know what your definition of "active" vs "effective" dps is.

I know that Direwolfx already corrected you, but I'm curious to know exactly how you made the mistake.
    I can only assume that you are saying "active" dps would be what I'm casting and how much damage it should be doing, but one thought further down the road takes us to the conclusion that the "effective" dps is what's really happening with each cast.

But I don't want to put words in your mouth.
    Why don't you explain it yourself, please?

$15 a month

Performance correlates to a function of your skill and your gear level, it doesn't matter how high one is if the other is low.

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX
    Recount's "Damage Done" is equivalent to effective dps.
    Only if you include fight length, I rather doubt that the OP did a recalculation on his dps based on damage done and fight length. Short version, recount dps is always higher than WoL dps. How much of a difference could easily surprise you, as you might find that you've moved one or two places up or down the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX
    Besides, I could always modify some logs to make my dps uber awesome before I upload them.
    You could, but it would probably take a decent computer program to do it and not have it be obvious. Combat parses contain every single buff and debuff gained by every raid member as well as the boss. They also contain every single damage and healing spell cast by everyone. You would have to be very careful to not just bump each of your numbers up, but bump them up in ways that account for procs and the status of temporary buffs. I could of course write a program to look at your logs and collect enough data to determine what your stats should look like and compare them to your actual stats. I'm not saying that WoL leader boards are policed this well, I do however know that a couple edited parses have been identified and chucked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Evoic
    You almost seem offended at the prospect that this may actually be true.
    I would love to know what your definition of "active" vs "effective" dps is.
    I missed that you were the OP, that's my bad. On a WoL post you begin dpsing the moment the boss is put into combat, on recount you begin dpsing when your first damaging spell lands. On recount you can go inactive if you haven't cast a damaging spell for a few seconds (think running around, evocating) on WoL you are active as long as you are alive (and leaderboards require you to survive the entire fight).

In the end your dps is counted as (total damage done)/(active time). Given that this was a twins fight, and it probably lasted ~2min with current gear I think you can easily see how adding at least 10 seconds to your active time would significantly lower your dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Evoic
    I know that Direwolfx already corrected you, but I'm curious to know exactly how you made the mistake.
    I can only assume that you are saying "active" dps would be what I'm casting and how much damage it should be doing, but one thought further down the road takes us to the conclusion that the "effective" dps is what's really happening with each cast.
    Short version, the poster you quoted was disparaging you, and for obvious reasons. I've seen my dps drop by 10% going from recount to WoL, I imagine the situation would be even worse if we were talking about really short fights, eg going back to old content with current gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Fornaw, much respect.

Thank you for posting up in response to the questions in a legit manner.
    Appreciated.
    $15 a month

Sorry, kind of a busy weekend for me so I'm a bit late.

Recount tracks EFFECTIVE DAMAGE PER SECOND in the form of DAMAGE DONE. If you're looking at the little number next to it that says "DPS" then your numbers aren't accurate. You very well may still have a top world parse on regular mode old content (lol), but until you upload a parse with it using WMO or WoL logs of some sort, it doesn't matter. Skada tracks effective dps, the way that these logs do. You can look at skada and compare dps to dps. Recount, you must devide damage done by fight length, and not read the dps recount prints for you. Nobody cares if you did 30k dps for 70% of a fight.