Questions about RPing and Playing Priest

Alright, well I am coming back to this game however I will not use any of my old characters (At least not for awhile) and was thinking of re-rolling a Horde Priest on a pvp/rp server.

I have a few questions however:

1.) I remember that priests were hard to level, or so my old guildies said. Is that still true now?
    2.) Do priests necessarily have to be "Good" when Rping?
    3.) I have never played horde before, are we necessarily "Evil" for Rping? Or no?

Thank you and sorry for the stupid questions.
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - The 6 P's

Re: Questions about RPing and Playing Priest

1) Priests aren't hard to level, they just aren't quite as quick at killing things at really low levels (10-15 seems a LITTLE slow to me). A lot of people cite downtime between kills as a problem with Priests, but as long as your first few talent points going into "Spirit Tap" in the Shadow tree, you have very little (if any) downtime.

2) Traditionally, RPG Priests (and Paladins) are always Lawfully Good-aligned, but this doesn't have to hold in WoW... especially if you go for the Shadow tree. If you level as Holy, people will probably expect you to play Lawful Good or at least Neutral Good... but you can get away with more (Neutral Neutral, etc) if you level as Disc or pretty much anything if you level as Shadow. Once again, this is really all that's expected by others... you can really do anything you want, you might just encounter some resistance from more "hardcore" RPers.

3) No one faction or race is restricted to any one alignment. Some classes/specs have "stereotypical" alignments that you'll be expected to follow (as stated above), but it's your character- you are allowed to do whatever you want with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

OK that is good, now I just have to figure out what race to be

I am definitely going shadow, I am sick of healing. I did that through all of BC and Wrath on my pally it got tedious and boring

I'm going to recommend Blood Elf unless you want to PvP often. Arcane Torrent is a godsend to priests. If you PvP, go Troll for Berserking.

In early levels, your wand is your best friend, no joke. I find that survivability is easier while soloing with a solid Discipline spec, but starting with points in Spirit Tap under the Shadow tree is imperative. Until level 40, my spec looked a lot like this. You'll be relying on Inner Fire and PW:S a lot, and don't forget to lead with Holy Fire and SW:P before you start wanding.

Once you hit level 40, it's a whole new ballgame. Drop the 1G to respec shadow, and go with this spec layout, which will get you all the way through Outlands. With that spec, you'll pretty much forget what it's like to run out of mana or lose any health. Once in Northrend, it's just flavored to taste.

As far as RP advice goes, remember that clergy follow many different deities. Shadow doesn't necessarily have to be evil (the good priest acting as the hand of God), and Holy doesn't necessarily have to be good (the evil priest who heals the Archdemon's minions before they go out to raze another city). Start with how you want to play, then find a way to justify it. Secret to success for any good RP'er.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimoure
    1.) I remember that priests were hard to level, or so my old guildies said. Is that still true now?
    3.) I have never played horde before, are we necessarily "Evil" for Rping? Or no?

Thank you and sorry for the stupid questions.
    1. I actually leveled as a holy priest and while slow, it wasn't hard. Mobs couldn't kill me... but it did take a while for me to kill them. I've heard that discipline proves easier when it comes to transitioning from solo questing to instancing, such is the joy of discipline! Nvm me... I can go on and on about discipline if allowed.

2. Just like Phoenix mentioned before me, you're free to roleplay your character whatever way you please. You might want to keep in mind the character's race and work with their background to shape how your character will be.

3. There is no straight good and evil when it comes to Alliance and Horde. Each faction has had their dark moments in WoW history. I would suggest going over to wowwiki and reading a bit more about each race, then picking your favorite!

Coming from an rp server, I know there's tons of roleplayers out there who would be more than happy to give you a few pointers in game. So don't hesitate to ask

1) Your first ten levels will be absolute hell. 10-12 gets a little easier, 20 gets easier still, and after that you just fly. I'd recommend checking out the Solo Level Guide (sticky) by harky, but don't quite disregard the smite stuff yet. A lot of it is still pretty valid.

2) Priests can be any flavor, "good", "Neutral" and "Evil". The joys of RP'ing a follower of the Holy Light is that it comes from yourself and your connection to others, and as such can be used for a variety of means (A perfect example would've been the Scarlet Crusade/Onslaught. They were Lawful/Evil, completely, but still used the Light). In the same regards, a Shadow Priest is not "Evil", simply seeking a balance between oneself and the rest of existence. Divine Humanism, if you will, where you realise the most important actions you take happen to be your own, and how you seek to become the counterweight in the pendulum of time.

Edit: I would view Discipline as (most frequently) a Neutral, simply because of their strengths not being of the Light but more of their own mind.

3) With a few exceptions, Horde can be just as "good" as Alliance can (and often for better reasons, but then again I'm biased, and even on my Human Warlock, I was biased :P). The Forsaken (undead) are often twisted sick little bastards that just want to bring pain to everyone around them for what they suffered, so not only does the Shadow appeal to their existence by nature, but they thrive on it and their culture usually has a higher tolerance for "evil". Some cling miserably to the living, and try to do everything they can to atone, but most "Holy" practitioners simply seek out the Light to better understand its effects on the Shadow.
    Darkspears and Sin'dorei, on the other hand, have each had their strife with dark magics, and both have tried to elevate their people above it for the most part. Darkspear may not follow the teachings of the Holy Light (with the exception of Zabra), they still use a variation of its principles in their own practices and are empowered because of them (also da mojo be callin to dem, mon). Sin'dorei have a natural affinity for magic, but since the rebirth of the Sunwell from M'uru, as well as actions taken by Liadrin, the people of Silvermoon have found their way back to the Light as well.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

if you want to level fast use disc not shadow (+ 3 to 5 points in the shadow tree for manareg - already mentioned above) ... mobs get down a bit slower, but especially from 40-80 you have less downtimes to reg mana

oh yes, the mentioned wand ... use it, if you level enchanting the enchanting wands are good too

Well thanks for all the help everyone! I decided to go with a Blood Elf. Now to find a good populated server, anyone know any?

I think moonguard?

Moonguard has excellent "Goldshire/Silvermoon" RP. : I'd generally stay away from that server, or at least those locales.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

the RP in the cathedral in stormwind is epic haha

Well thanks for all the help everyone! I decided to go with a Blood Elf. Now to find a good populated server, anyone know any?
    Sentinels has fairly good RP, you just have to...dig a little.

Freakin' awesome signature is by JustintimeSS

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    1) Your first ten levels will be absolute hell.
    Actually if you transfer a character to that server (Which I suggest, Leveling with no gold or heirlooms is very painful) and have the staff you can just use SW:P and melee them to death with the staff that's usually the best way to go because you save all your mana for SW:P and renew
    Because some players aren't looking for anything logical, like loot. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some players just want to watch the group fail.

Moshy, a melee Priest is uh... hell. Pretty much the definition, really. :P

Either way wand DPS is much higher than you'll get out of a staff.

Quote Originally Posted by harky
    Moshy, a melee Priest is uh... hell. Pretty much the definition, really. :P

Either way wand DPS is much higher than you'll get out of a staff.
    Which is why I quoted someone saying the first 10 levels of leveling would be hell.
    After level 10 using the heirloom staff to melee with is ridiculous.
    Because some players aren't looking for anything logical, like loot. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some players just want to watch the group fail.

1.) Nope. With the right spec you can be surprisingly efficient at both questing and instance healing.
    2.) Not at all.. My Warlock is "Good" when RPing.
    3.) Good and Evil is in the eye of the beholder.. RP the way you want your char to act, and let others decide whether they consider you good or evil.

"Staying true to the lore" is more a matter of not RPing that you're a god dragon from space than it is about how your char acts. Only things to take into consideration when deciding on a personality is the options given by the situations your char may have been in.

Example: Most adult orcs who are not a part of the Frostwolf Clan have been in the internment camps. This can have affected you in several ways. Such as being resentful of the humans. Or maybe fearful.. Or maybe the time there has taught you that not all humans were bad? Maybe you befriended the human chef who in turn for you helping in the kitchen, made sure that you got the freedom to leave your quarters at will.. Maybe he shared his knowledge in human cuisine causing you to be the master cook you are today?

The Lore of the races should really be viewed as guidelines for backgrounds rather than limitations for mentalities.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(