Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Anyone play aion?

I really like wow but at this point there seems to be a lot of downtime. I played aion in 2 of the betas and really liked the game. But i just could not leave the wow pvp. I love arena and the bg system is fun( getting a little boring). How is aion pvp? Is it all world pvp? Does aion get boring? What is there to do pvp wise once u hit (i think max lvl is) 50. How do u upgrade gear? R u forced to pve to geargood gear for pvp?

Re: Anyone play aion?

A friend of mine left WoW and played Aion for a while. He said that the first 20 levels were pretty fun, but after that it gets really boring. It starts to turn into a huge grindfest, as most MMO's from that region tend to do. Anyways, he was back to WoW within a couple months.

If you want a break from WoW, you could definitely give it a shot. Though to me it sounds like you just need a break completely. I'd suggest turning off your subscription for a few months and doing completely unrelated things.

The graphics are incredible, character creation is awesome, and the world pvp adds a bit of excitement if you're coming from a wow pve server, but the game lacks a lot of involving content that wow has imo. I leveled a couple of toons with my wife, my cousin and a few friends. I got a sorcerer to lvl 37 and a ranger to lvl 34 I think. My friends all dropped out of the game, and so I dropped as well, to come back to wow where my friends were, but I wasn't all excited by end-game anyways. From what I could see, you grind your way up to max level, then you fight for towers to control the Abyss, and that's pretty much it. Take over the towers, that's end-game. No holiday bosses, no tiered raids, no factions to rep up with and special mounts, pets, etc. It may be because its very very new game compared to WoW, but if that's the case, then I think I'll give it like 4 and a half years to develop new content and go try it out again. Anyways, anwers to the OP's questions...

Quote Originally Posted by hellar
    How is Aion pvp? Is it all world pvp?
    Yes, its all world pvp. You either gank people, get ganked, or fight for the towers at certain times of the day when they become vulnerable. Also, pvp is only really effective if you group up. Almost everyone in the Abyss groups up. Solo ganking is a slow slow grind to Abyss points, and you'll get rolled pretty often.

Does aion get boring?
    Yes. I lasted the longest out of the six of us, about two months before boredom hit.

What is there to do pvp wise once u hit (i think max lvl is) 50
    You either gank people or fight for towers at certain times of the day

How do u upgrade gear?
    You either gank people or fight for towers at certain times of the day...
    Redundant, I know, but it earns you abyss points which buys the best gear in the game

R u forced to pve to geargood gear for pvp?
    Just the opposite. The best gear in the game comes from earning Abyss points by pvping in world pvp, or by attacking the towers. There are several quests to kill members of the opposite faction as well, which earn you some accelerated abyss points you can use on gear.

I really like wow but at this point there seems to be a lot of downtime. I played aion in 2 of the betas and really liked the game. But i just could not leave the wow pvp. I love arena and the bg system is fun( getting a little boring). How is aion pvp? Is it all world pvp? Does aion get boring? What is there to do pvp wise once u hit (i think max lvl is) 50. How do u upgrade gear? R u forced to pve to geargood gear for pvp?
    Aion sucks donkeyballs. Sure it has a good PVP setup but PVE sucks..

especially drop rates..and Im not exaggerating here, but you can run a dungeon hundreds of times without seeing any real loot drop. Im not saying that MMOs should rain down epics from the sky, but literally, I ran many of the dungeons everyday over and over again (since is only half hour lock out, and there is a trick with group to evade that)
    and hardly ever saw any real drops.

Then the grinding..sheesh.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I play an aion private server when wow gets really boring, the xp and drop rates are jacked up to be decent, but still, two hours of playing and I'm reminded why I play wow as much as I do
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

15+ Year Old Account

I played a Cleric from 1-25. As someone said earlier it's fun at the lower levels but you really need to sync time into it past 22'ish and the Abyss is just a huge lagfest. 200 people fighting in 10 square yards of gate. DC'd constantly.

Aion has a lot of potentional with the automatic 30% damage reduction. Though underlying problems make it blow.

Aion PVP: Boils down to GANK or BE GANKED. You join into groups and zerg opposing players while they quest, then run away. No one wants to fight because you lose AP(honor) from PVP deaths.
    Aion attempts at world PVP: lagfest. With all those unique character customizations, a LOT of computers cannot handle it. Even beastly ones.
    Gear upgrade: Mob grinding either for AP (abyss points = honor) or Mob grinding for craft drops.

Are you forced to PVE to get good gear? Yeah. Pretty much. Regular NPCS give AP, and since no one wants to do a fair PVP, you have to. Running dungeons also isn't an option because you can run it 20+ times and get NOTHING--not even a green equivalent drop off the final boss.

Flying is a huge gimmick. It's buggy and melee has some SERIOUS issues that make them free AP.

Tis a shame. It looked so fun.

I started playing the game the day it came out, and omg did it ever seem amazing I thought a bunch of people stopped playing WoW for it and they did. Stunning graphics if you have a great GPU, fun game play with the combo mechanic, although after i got my Warrior past level 25 it was grind grind grind grind grind grind grind T_T. Boring for me anyways, and a lot of people i know from WoW quit Aion just because of that reason. I guess if they add BG's, arena's, and quests until level 50 then yeah lol (WoW copy, gg)
    Most godly post evar
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=12454665647

Deleted

Aion is a grind game.

You have to grind mobs, to level. You have to grind money, to buy stuff from AH or you grind money to raise crafting skills and hope for a proc, to get decent gear. Or you can grind mobs endlessly for tokens, to turn in for green quality random items...

PvP doesn't start before lvl 25, 1v1 is a rock-paper-scissors game.

Later you have to grind AP (honor) to get gear, do quests or again spend millions of kinah on crafting skills.

And on most servers Elyos is outnumbering Asmodians by far.

PvE is a joke. Bosses don't drop anything 50%, 25% green stuff, 20% blue, 5% epic. If you wipe, you have to spend huge amounts of money to restore your xp. Class roles are pretty much set.

It's a shame really, the game looks beautiful, and had a lot of promise, but too much grinding and that skillups are not guaranteed, is a huge turnoff for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alianna

Bosses don't drop anything 50%, 25% green stuff, 20% blue, 5% epic.
    Still better then getting full epic gear the same day you ding 80.

But I agree they could have done better.

10+ Year Old Account

its a good filler game for when wow gets to tedious but i didnt make it past level 15 before i started to miss wow then when i hit 32 i felt the urge to return to wow i was refreshed and ready to wow for a good 5 more months now wow is getting boring but im leveling two horde alts together and gotta say lock and hunter are extremely fun.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

why would we play aion while we have WoW?aion is just anothere so called "wow-killer" that hasnt achievewd anything.only mistakes
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Miltiadhs
    why would we play aion while we have WoW?aion is just anothere so called "wow-killer" that hasnt achievewd anything.only mistakes
    When it's tuesday
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

I know like 5 ppl who played it they all said the same : grindfest and boring game

Deleted

i leveled a cleric to 36, then rerolled to a sorcerer who is now 30 in the space of around a month and a bit. i got sick of the game, quit, and came back to wow. But right now i find myself installing it again just to play for fun when i get bored before raids.

The pve and pvp are just mini games in Aion. The real object of the game is to try and hold a conversation in general chat in between the hundreds of lines of goldspam.

I want to try the game. I heard, that the level of customization of the characters is very high. I just cant wait to make a short, fat, tough, bald warrior
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nevralgo
    I want to try the game. I heard, that the level of customization of the characters is very high. I just cant wait to make a short, fat, tough, bald warrior
    basicaly the only thing going for it is its insane costumization and great graphics but gameplay for pver's is pretty horrible barely get gear like a 5 % chance to get the best gear off of bosses i know hardcore gamers like it but its just insane. id go back to vanilla wow before raid dungeons in aion but the pvpve is pretty fun thats bout it

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Yeah ... So I've heard ... pretty much a straight forward grinding game. Much like Lineage 2 - its grind grind grind grind, get some stupid no-attribute-ugly gear and go and .... grind some more. But I'm still more than willing to give it a try though
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

Deleted

It's fun to play on weekends when there is 2x XP but that's about it imo.

Wish it actually turned out to be as good as WoW at endgame :S