Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Mastery System Preview

DK's are a whole different story.. This system stucks at them - i think they are going to change specs for Dk's making Frost the tanking spec alone maybe

this mastery surely sounds good, we'll see how it will reflect in the game in general

... and The Heavens Shall Tremble.
    Lord of Agamaggan - EU.

Patch Mirrors - > here - > http://www.0daypatch.com

This system sounds great!
    There will be 30 different bonuses which will benefit from Mastery.

So we have choices now like do we want the maximum benefit from one tree or a bit from this and a bit from that.
    Each class will have the choice of 3 bonuses to benefit from.

I think we'll be doing a lot of thinking in spending point in trees then just check some sheet or examples provided.
    I don't think that there will be something like "THE BEST SET OF TALENTS" for any char in any role.

I'm not posting very long here, nor am I reading very long here......
    But still my impression at this moment is that wow-players lost the touch with the fun the game should bring.
    It is all about maxing out dps, healing or defense and stuff for tanks..... using sheets others created, expecting them to max out the output of a char in a certain role.

I'm just concerned with maxing out the fun I have playing this awesome game.

Blizzard just entered a feature that should give players a chance to have a go at having fun without others telling you that you're not doing enough dps or something of this nature. I hope this works out that way.

The mastery System seems lovely.

Remember when Glyphs were a new and super special awesome idea with various choices to modify your skills and talents? Turned out to be rather boring in the final version.

The mastery system in its current state seems flawed. I don't see how putting all your points into one tree is suppossed to be fun, at least as a hybrid like a Paladin or Druids. If it's capped or affected by diminished return, I can see a new wave of balance problems with hybrids. Assuming Mastery is capped at e.g. 50/51 points, certain healing/damage classes are balanced around what else they have to pick up from another tree to support their role, while other classes (e.g. Paladins) must be balanced around their primary tree while picking up "free" extra utility from other trees.

There could also be a scaling problem of the third Mastery boni between specs/classes. E.g. the shown boni of Priests no problems in terms of scaling while Rets with their currently known CD reduction are restricted to certain Mastery caps due to being GCD-locked.

I'm interested to see what happens to the talent trees, too, especially the skeleton that is called Retribution. It currently has only 66 talent points to spend and many talents should be gone with their current plans:

Deflection, Benediction, Improved Blessing of Might, Conviction, Sanctity of Battle, Crusade, Two-Hand Weapon Specialization = 26 points gone (Swift and Sanctified Retribution are debateable due to buffing the raid, but they are also horribly boring +% talents)

10+ Year Old Account

To the guys who are saying "pure dps will get a damage bonus in all trees, and hybrids will lose dps if they go into another tree"

Has anyone thought this may be intentional? To keep hybrid damage below pure dps damage. This was always stated to be the plan, and there has been times in Wotlk where hybrids have been really close on the meters.

I genuinely think that this is intentional. Hybrids who dip into other trees lose a bit of DPS for the extra utility they bring. I think the aim for Cata is probably:

Top Dps - pure classes
    2nd - Hybrids who spec almost exclusively in dps tree (boomkins, Spriests (won't need disc talents so much if they get meditation and other passive bonuses))
    3rd - Hybrids who spec in different trees.

Substituting Dps for utility. I think this has always been Blizzards aim for hybrids, and this seems like a good way for them to do it.

I honestly dont like that they wanna make it idiotic f. ex. for paladins to wear Leather -- cause appereantly they dont know how to make good plate gear

i don't see why people are still hung up on hybrids and pure dps. i like where this is going but this is only a first look at mastery System. i feel it will change many times before launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook
    Remember when Glyphs were a new and super special awesome idea with various choices to modify your skills and talents? Turned out to be rather boring in the final version.

The mastery system in its current state seems flawed. I don't see how putting all your points into one tree is suppossed to be fun, at least as a hybrid like a Paladin or Druids. If it's capped or affected by diminished return, I can see a new wave of balance problems with hybrids. Assuming Mastery is capped at e.g. 50/51 points, certain healing/damage classes are balanced around what else they have to pick up from another tree to support their role, while other classes (e.g. Paladins) must be balanced around their primary tree while picking up "free" extra utility from other trees.

There could also be a scaling problem of the third Mastery boni between specs/classes. E.g. the shown boni of Priests no problems in terms of scaling while Rets with their currently known CD reduction are restricted to certain Mastery caps due to being GCD-locked.

I'm interested to see what happens to the talent trees, too, especially the skeleton that is called Retribution. It currently has only 66 talent points to spend and many talents should be gone with their current plans:

Deflection, Benediction, Improved Blessing of Might, Conviction, Sanctity of Battle, Crusade, Two-Hand Weapon Specialization = 26 points gone (Swift and Sanctified Retribution are debateable due to buffing the raid, but they are also horribly boring +% talents)
    you keep saying boni. but i just feel like the proper terminology is bonuses.....i dunno not an english maajor nor do i try to correct people...i just giggled when u kept saying boni.

I really hope that this system will work as they intend. meaning that there will no longer b "cookie cutter" specs. I use them because they are logically the best throughput. But there are a lot of cool talents I just really wish I could take without losing a lot of DPS.

for example as Unh DK I want to get antimagic zone and improved unholy presence and corpse explosion and on a pale horse.....but i can't get those because I move into the blood subspec for added dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigenari
    I find it funny how even though this is just a small preview of a system which is still in development (i.e. unfinished) and Blizzard have already stated that the talent trees will also be changing in Cataclysm, people are still totally ready to definitively say "This will gimp (Insert poster's class here)" or vice versa, without actually having any idea what the talents will be, what the stats on gear will be, how stat coefficients will change or how this system will work in conjunction with Path of the Titans (something which we still know very little about. People have said things along the lines of "X class doesn't have enough useful talents to use 72 points in 1 tree" even though they actually have no clue about what will be added to the trees and what will be removed.

At this stage, there is simply nowhere near enough information to draw any sort of useful conclusions as to what these changes will mean once Cataclysm hits, and even if there was, the pointless, poorly thought out conjecture that people are spouting would be entirely inadequate when it comes to actually working out the benefits/drawbacks to any class/spec combination.

In my opinion, people need to chill- unless you can actually provide solid numbers and theorycrafting to prove specific points, you have little to no sway over what the developers do so at this stage, you may as well wait and see how it plays out. I think that it could be fairly interesting, in fact, especially considering that it seems much simpler than the old system so class balance, theoretically, should be much better under this system.
    I have solid numbers and theorycrafting backing up my QQ. The theorycraft goes like this: Game design is hard. Percentage of times in the history of MMOs and their MUD predecessors that any developer has ever made a giant change to class mechanics and balance and pulled it off without screwing 1 or more classes completely and taking ages to fix them: 0%. Prediction for Cata: one or more classes will get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnett
    You sure you are looking at the same talent-tree as the dev? They have already stated that they are reworking all talenttrees. His statement could very well be based off the prototype Cataclysm talenttree while you are looking at the live one.

I think what we need to remember is that most everyone who's reading this is still probably playing WoW. That means Blizzard hasn't yet done anything bad enough to this game since release to cause you to quit for good, so chances are they aren't going to. It would also do well to remember that this game is their biggest, most profitable product and that any change made is going to be scrutinized beyond what you can probably even imagine. Their profits are public information, go look that stuff up. Do you really think they would let the developers do anything to make those numbers go anywhere but up? Even if, for some reason, they did manage to screw it up, you and I have the right to stop paying them for their product until they can get it fixed.

I have confidence that they will do great things for the game's future. Since we don't even have all of the information about the Cataclysm changes yet, it's sort of silly to whine concerns at each other just yet. It's already been said that we don't know what the new talent trees are going to look like, so try to not get bent out of shape over your hybrid specs and mastery bonuses, since even what they have provided here is almost sure to change drastically before the expansion even launches.

Take a breath, it will be okay.
    I'm a cheerleader priest. What I lack in intellect, I make up for in spirit! \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Barook
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I can only assume that there's either been mass amnesia or most of the people in these threads weren't around when Wrath was at this point. A surprising amount of what is being said by the devs today is just a recycle of Wrath design goals or, even better, efforts to undo some of what they did with Wrath (but now likely can't undo).

The mastery system in its current state seems flawed.
    It seems like a recipe for another two years of laughable "balance". Hey, they can't get this system even close to balanced, so let's completely change the stat system, and while we're at it we'll add three new stats to every tree just to make things really screwy.

People had better hope the mastery system turns out to be as boring and pointless as Glyphs (Woooo! So many choices! Fortunately most of them sucking, and the ones that don't mostly being surrogate talent points, makes them easy to balance), otherwise FoTM is going to take on a whole new level of meaning as players find new and interesting ways to abuse what sounds today to be an imminently abusable system.

im so curious what the shamans restorations tree mastery will be.
    hard to cover pve and pvp ^^

Mastery System Preview
    Originally Posted by Eyonix (Blue Tracker)

This way, if you choose a talent like Elusiveness (which reduces your chance to be detected while stealthed)

this again shows, that blizz has no clue what they are doing..

Elusiveness (Rank 2)
    Reduces the cooldown of your Vanish and Blind abilities by 60 sec and your Cloak of Shadows ability by 30 sec.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    No, Vanish isn’t working properly and breaks when you breathe on the rogue funny.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, exactly what I was hoping for.
    This will hopefull kill cookie cutter builds, because now there are so many other diffrent ways of choosing talents and get diffrent ammounts of mastery from each tree.

Nothing fun about most having the exact same builds.

this again shows, that blizz has no clue what they are doing..

Elusiveness (Rank 2)
    Instant
    Reduces the cooldown of your Vanish and Blind abilities by 60 sec and your Cloak of Shadows ability by 30 sec.
    I bet the guy is a night elf and confused a rogue talent with the night elf racial, which does infact do what he wrote.

Deleted

There won't be tanking mastery bonuses for DK or Druids. I'd like to see what the have in store for that...

Quote Originally Posted by tobokke
    There won't be tanking mastery bonuses for DK or Druids. I'd like to see what the have in store for that...
    Masteries will also change depending on stance/bear form/presence/righteous fury, and these abilities will put you at defense cap so you do not need to be tank spec to tank dungeons and heroics, raids will still require a fully tank specced tank.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal