Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Mastery System Preview

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot
    Did blizz say they were adding mastery as a stat to gear prior to this updated info? For some reason I assumed it would only come from the number of talent points placed in each tree.
    Yes, they said that Mastery would be a stat on gear. If you need more than hearsay, check the Cataclysm Stat and System Changes post they made about a week ago under "Stats You'll See on Gear." http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...Id=23425636414

10+ Year Old Account

This isn't really related to mastery specifically but I'm curious as to how they will make the melee hybrid classes (Enhance Shaman and Ret Paladins) Benefit from haste. Mana Regeneration wouldn't help them use their abilities more often and all of the spells they use are instant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chin Music
    This isn't really related to mastery specifically but I'm curious as to how they will make the melee hybrid classes (Enhance Shaman and Ret Paladins) Benefit from haste. Mana Regeneration wouldn't help them use their abilities more often and all of the spells they use are instant.
    The cooldowns on your abilities will likely be lowered. AKA, 10% haste takes 10% of the cooldown off divine storm (so it has a 9 second CD).

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Magnett
    wat

Yes, instead of Frostbolt, Frostbolt, Frostbolt, it becomes Frostbolt Frostbolt Frostbolt.

Very dramatic change.

Good post otherwise.
    fixed

the mastery system will look like this its a old screen from blizzcon

http://wow.gamona.de/wp-content/gall.../talente_2.jpg

Deleted

Wanst spirit gonna be deleted?

Has anyone considered the fact that if they remove passive dps/etc type talents, there might be a shortage of talents in trees? Since most talents are just that. So unless they can replace them or split utility talents into multiple talents, there would only be a set talent path to take in the trees...

And to those saying the "76" points in one tree thing. Well I think the exact opposite might happen, more hybrid specs. Since there might be diminishing returns near the bottom of the tree, and you'd still get mastery from other trees people will dump more points into other trees instead.

But I like what Blizz is doing, they are adding alot of depth (if you think about it, theres alot of min/max potential here) while also simplifying it.

I am curious as to how they'd do dk/feral tanks... Since their tanking trees are inside dps trees. Maybe stance/form would affect the bonuses you get from Mastery or Mastery could just add "increases dmg/healing/dmg reduction by x%" that way hybrids would gain more benefit. (if this is the case all a dk dps has to do is switch to frost pres, and he can tank. too much to hope for?)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they rework the talents, and the other Mastery effects. Can't wait to start theorycrafting this :3

This looks really cool. I sure wish they'd show some examples for Shamans. They never use shamans as an example... :P

Stood in the Fire NefariousNinja's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

They tease me with the two priest trees and not shadow.

So a 1/1/1 spec would recieve mastery stat bonuses from gear into all three trees ?

Might make for some interesting specs.

So, seeing the Holy bonus, it's highly likely that druids, like the other 3 Healing classes, will become an direct heal focused class (expect nerfs to reju and lb, if that can even happen)

My Prediction: Paladin, as well as Shamans, will get a HoT, whereas druids will get a not so clunky nourish (i.e. you do not have to stack your HoTs).

Unless of course the 3rd Holy bonus isn't as strong as the druid HoTs (and that has to be quite a big difference :>), i.e. turning the bonus either useless in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat
    So a 1/1/1 spec would recieve mastery stat bonuses from gear into all three trees ?

Might make for some interesting specs.
    Yes, but the amount of mastery bonuses you would get from each of these is tied to the number of points you spend directly in a tree. So 1 point in a separate tree results in a really small mastery bonus from that tree.

Will it be worth it? Maybe, but I don't see Blizz letting something like that fly for very long.

I think Blizz will expect tanks to have some points in dps spec in order to boost their Threat issues.. Im wondering about pure dps classes tho especially 2nd bonus of the Mastery system...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Mastery System Preview
    [blizzquote="Eyonix;http://blue.mmo-champion.com/1/23614404862-mastery-system-preview.html] ...The second bonus will be related to a stat commonly found on gear desirable to you, such as Haste or Crit...[/blizzquote"]
    that stat will be on the gear already and even more bonus to it from mastery. We have loads of haste/crit that blizz is not happy about atm - this might make thinks even worse on Cata (end game gear). But anyway im quite sure they already have figured it out and much more about such thinks for questions on our minds. So we can sit back, relax and enjoy the changes. Cant wait for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Yes, but the amount of mastery bonuses you would get from each of these is tied to the number of points you spend directly in a tree. So 1 point in a separate tree results in a really small mastery bonus from that tree.

Will it be worth it? Maybe, but I don't see Blizz letting something like that fly for very long.
    As you suspect, the bonus from a 1/1/1 would be far inferior to any other build due to the way mastery scaling occurs
    BAMF.

I always enjoy the creativity of the MMO-Champion community in finding and creating ways in which new patches are bad for them personally and inventing new things to complain about.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

In Germany the Patch is 81,9 MB.

10+ Year Old Account

Looking forward to read more!
    I found myself in Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by Demran
    I think Blizz will expect tanks to have some points in dps spec in order to boost their Threat issues.. Im wondering about pure dps classes tho especially 2nd bonus of the Mastery system... that stat will be on the gear already and even more bonus to it from mastery. We have loads of haste/crit that blizz is not happy about atm - this might make thinks even worse on Cata (end game gear). But anyway im quite sure they already have figured it out and much more about such thinks for questions on our minds. So we can sit back, relax and enjoy the changes. Cant wait for it!
    Read the Cataclysm Stat Thread, bosses will get harder to crit in higher content, and the high values you see now will be much harder to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Seref
    Has anyone considered the fact that if they remove passive dps/etc type talents, there might be a shortage of talents in trees? Since most talents are just that. So unless they can replace them or split utility talents into multiple talents, there would only be a set talent path to take in the trees...
    A lot of trees already have plenty of talents that don't get used simply because you need to take something else more. A PVE ret pally might pass up Pursuit of Justice, or a fury warrior might not have the points to spare for Imp Demo Shout. One consequence of this change might be the ability to pick up more PVP talents without gimping your PVE spec, because you simply have enough spare points that it doesn't matter what you spend them on.

What it really breaks down to is this:

3 Tiers of Mastery bonuses for each talent tree

1st Tier: Core mechanic tied to the specific role (Healing, Damage, Mitigation)
    2nd Tier: Favored Stat for the specific spec (Crit, Haste, Armor Penetration, Mana reg, Stamina)
    3rd Tier: Unique, iconic and tied to the core niche of the spec (Improved HoTs/DoTs, Improved Spell Absorbs, Increased Crit damage, Reduced Cooldowns, Improved Poisons, Improved Blocks, ...)