Alchem worth it?

Hi all

My shaman has mining as a prof and he doesn't have a second one. Now I am thinking of getting a profession to make some money. I am really poor have about 3k gold. I am thinking of getting Alchem as second profession without herb, because mining is already stuck at 230ish and dont see myself level a new gathering profession al the way from 0-450 any time soon.
    I want to become transmute master :P. But I dont really know wether I will be spending money on something that isn't profitable. I am wondering wether the gold I want to spend on it, I will ever earn back and if I do earn it back in what timeframe. btw this al without herb ofc.

ty for your help
    Main shaman: Shaman Alt Paladin: Paladin
    Alt lvl 73 mage: Mage Alt lvl 70 Death knight: Death Knight
    Random dungeon project: Druid Battleground project: Rogue
    Worgen project: Warlock Future alt: Hunter

Re: Alchem worth it?

yes, alchemy can be very profitable depending on how much gems go on your server, and if you have the discipline to x-mute everyday.

usually the most expensive uncut gem is the red one (cardinal ruby)... you will need to buy a scarlet ruby (around 50g on most servers) and go farm some eternal fires (I usually farm a stack, then when its about to end I farm annother stack). say your x-mute don't proc, you will still transform 50g into 160-250 gold. now there are chances it will proc and you can actually turn 50g into 1k gold.

I usually make cardinal rubies every day, and after reset I cut (you can ask a friend to cut if u dont have JC) them into different gems and put them in the AH, you won't sell all of them, but some you will (this morning I had 1.7k gold in mailbox and it was a slow night...)still gems will be accumulating, and so will the gold in your bags

Quote Originally Posted by Trork
    yes, alchemy can be very profitable depending on how much gems go on your server, and if you have the discipline to x-mute everyday.

usually the most expensive uncut gem is the red one (cardinal ruby)... you will need to buy a scarlet ruby (around 50g on most servers) and go farm some eternal fires (I usually farm a stack, then when its about to end I farm annother stack). say your x-mute don't proc, you will still transform 50g into 160-250 gold. now there are chances it will proc and you can actually turn 50g into 1k gold.

I usually make cardinal rubies every day, and after reset I cut (you can ask a friend to cut if u dont have JC) them into different gems and put them in the AH, you won't sell all of them, but some you will (this morning I had 1.7k gold in mailbox and it was a slow night...)still gems will be accumulating, and so will the gold in your bags
    Ty mate

I had just calculated that I need about 1k g -1,5k g to get it to 450 if I have used the right number. Just hope I earn that amount back really soon, :P Dont want to hop on my paladin again to start farming ores :@ if this turn out to be not that great :P

It's definitely worth it, mainly because of all the flasks you can sell, specially on major raid days, like the ones right before the reset (Monday or Thursday, depending on the region). I have once sold as much as 30 flasks in one night, and that's 30g each. You do the maths.
    Too Greedy - my blog about WoW and Gold

I'm transmute master and I can make a new epic gem a day

Things like this make my day
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5...2810153505.jpg

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky
    I have once sold as much as 30 flasks in one night, and that's 30g each. You do the maths.
    i really cant , please help

A month or so back i made about 13k in a few days from alchemy, but nowdays its far more difficult. As for elixir spec which is what i used to make the 13k, due to the falling prices of flasks on my server its barely worth any time making them. As for transmute, the price of gems wont really ever fall from where they are currently and by transmuting every day i make an easy 130g or so, this is without any procs at all.

So yes Alchemy is an amazing profession for money making, and is also extremely cheap to level

I have got Alchemy, and I am going to have to say, it is just about worthless.

The Endless Mana Potion is nice, but it doesn't give enough Mana a drink compared to a actual Mana potion, and it is nothing vs a Mana Injector (and thanks to Potion Nurf, you want the most you can get).

The 1 hour extra for Flasks and extra stats is also nice, but it is basically making Alchemy a little cheaper, and you can get just about the same affect with some extra money.

The only real use I get from Alchemy now-a-days is Transmuting Epic Gems (went Transmutation to do this and rarely get 2 epic gems), and that's just 100 gold a day.

Basically, everything a Alchemist can use, someone who isn't a Alchemist can also use with a little extra gold.

Transmute spec really isn't all the profitable. The chance is so low for procs for any spec, it's only really profitable to be that spec if youc an make an item in a massive amount (to maximize your RNG). So the best specs are elixir or pot. However, unless you have a lot of hardcore guilds/raiders on your server, no one really needs a pot spec alchemist since it's only really useful for making haste pots or sp/crit pots.

If you're looking to maximize profit, I recommend the elixir spec. A poster above said it's no longer profitable because of the falling prices of flasks, but the prices on my server are still fluxing between 30g - 45g.

That said, I am a transmute spec alchemist since I can just use my boyfriend's character to make elixirs for myself. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Arbores

I actually got 5 once, but it was only kings amber. I was kicking myself I'd not done a ruby that day

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni

The Endless Mana Potion is nice, but it doesn't give enough Mana a drink compared to a actual Mana potion, and it is nothing vs a Mana Injector (and thanks to Potion Nurf, you want the most you can get).

The 1 hour extra for Flasks and extra stats is also nice, but it is basically making Alchemy a little cheaper, and you can get just about the same affect with some extra money.

The only real use I get from Alchemy now-a-days is Transmuting Epic Gems (went Transmutation to do this and rarely get 2 epic gems), and that's just 100 gold a day.

Basically, everything a Alchemist can use, someone who isn't a Alchemist can also use with a little extra gold.
    Alchemist/JC = win

a miner/jc mines the ore (mining can also get you crystallized fire, so you don't have to farm this as well) and prospects ore for the scarlet rubies... alchemist transmutes into epic... jc cuts, and instant 215g minimum on my server... if you are transmute master and get proc, well, it's all gravy... proccing doesn't happen as often as potions/elixirs, but imo, the gold per proc is better...

before i had a jc'er i bought the mats (ruby 50g and fire 30) made the epic, had it cut (tip 10g) and then sold for still for a profit of 125g per day without proc...

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike
    I actually got 5 once, but it was only kings amber. I was kicking myself I'd not done a ruby that day
    Hmm on my realm it's more profitable to make a kings amber, looking at the mats cost / gem

If you go xmute master, and do xmutes every day, then you should be able to earn back the gold you invested within 2-4 weeks.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Even if you NEVER sell a gem that you xmute, you will most likely never have to buy a gem again. That alone makes the profession a net gain in a very short amount of time(month at most).

Xmute master procs enoguh to be worth it. It's a guaranteed 100g a day for no work, but very little else makes money on my server in regards to alchemy. Never sell your xmute, just buy/farm mats and make one yourself to sell. If you like mining then your 100g a day can turn into 200g a day if you prospect the gems you need for a little extra work.

As I said, the downside is almost nothing except the xmute make money so its not a very profitable profession unless you have a deal with a farmer or something that gets you access to mats cheap. You will make your money back for leveling the profession but it will be a little slow.

For game stats, alchemy was a little better when the trinkets were actually valuable for it during 3.0, but the bonus to flask stats and duration is a nice perk (albeit overshadowed by most other craftign profs).

oke

Just spended 4000g on leveling alchem from 1-450.
    Herbs cost a lot on my server. But did get a nice 120g profit on first epic gem and if I do this every time hopefully its a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbores

I like you "Nuke" button

OT: If you have access to a JC Transmute can make a small fortune. As previously stated you do need to login every day to make the best of this.

Another updat. From that 4k gold I spended, I have 1,5k gold back already. So it turned into a 2,5k gold investment.

good to know as you can see, alchemy is indeed very profitable

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni

This is false. The endless pots are just a free addition and useful while leveling, same goes for the trinkets. They aren't meant to replace standard potions.

The 1 extra hour on flasks means you save alteast 50g a day if you are a raider.

And about transmutation, 100g you say? I make 190g every day, with no procs. Aka 220g a gem and 30g mats.

In addition to all that, you get mixology, the standard stat bonus equal to 2x epic gems.

Alch/Inscription both cost 800g on my server, which is by far the cheapest choice. And it is in no way worthless.