Explain the 54/17 PvP Spec?

I am really confused with the 54/17 spec, mainly on the following points:

Fel Domination/Master Summoner, how often do you need to resummon pets?

Imp Health Funnel over Imp Health Stone, with Fel Synergy will you need to heal your pet with health funnel?

Imp Lifetap, lifetap seems like a double edged sword in PvP

My replacement spec that I was considering was

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...VKL7kiP,,10958

any reason why this would be a stupid change? I am assuming it is a stupid change since 54/17 is the standard, but this spec makes sense to me, 54/17 does not

I am new to PvP and have never done arena before, so I need some guidance
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Re: Explain the 54/17 PvP Spec?

Savvy players will sometimes kill your pet; if they do, and you can't get another one out fast and a Soul Link up, you are going to die. That's pretty much the argument for those talents.

Well, you need to lifetap anyway, or you'll run oom eventually. Especially with a healer as the minor amount of damage it does makes up for a mana war :P

And you need to resummon your pet a lot if you're facing good teams!
    your puppy is truly essential to making a kill, so they will often try to kill it in order to make a lock on the healer that much harder. Fel dom forces them to kill it twice. And because of soul link like drawme said!

15+ Year Old Account

You also have health funnel.

R.I.P. YARG

I agree, i lock without a pet in a 2v2 or 3v3 is really really in trouble. Fel dom is a must.... Life tap is a must or else u go oom...

if you've just started PvP, I don't advise doing much in Arenas :P tryout a bunch of BGs! use the honor to get some wrathful pieces, WG is your best friend! once you notice you can run into a group of 4 of the other team, and not get insta-nuked, I'd say that's when you're ready to start fooling around with arenas... it's a whole different story

fel domination is a big deal in BGs for Warlocks who stay alive for a while... if you die quickly, theres better places to put it, because most likely you will die before your pet :P

health funnel, I actually agree with you. I have it into the extra 1K from HS over the Imp. health funnel.

I also haven't specced into CoExaustion, and only 1 point into Imp. life tap.

reason being, fear drops nightmare, 30% reduced movement speed, all you need for kiting pallys and such, and I acutually put those points into Imp. shadowbolt, believe it or not.

I know, I'm getting ready for the flaming.. but my reasoning is usually in Bgs I sit back and nuke (well, as well as anyone can as an afflic. warlock) and I find I'm shadowbolting often, and the 5% extra crit helps out not only me, but all other casters too. especially on that 60K 1500 resil druid tank that cleaves through the whole group.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Crikey! I sure wouldn't want to fight this guy if he came back!

You win troll of the month. Now.. See you in a month.

And the PvP pet of choice is Felpuppy?

Felpup has the spell eat, spell lock, and increased damage based on dots,
    VW consume shadows can pop rogues out of stealth
    Succy has CC
    Imp adds health

It seems like Felpup is the choice pick, but I clearly have limited knowledge of lock pvp

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by wintersbane
    if you've just started PvP, I don't advise doing much in Arenas :P tryout a bunch of BGs! use the honor to get some wrathful pieces, WG is your best friend! once you notice you can run into a group of 4 of the other team, and not get insta-nuked, I'd say that's when you're ready to start fooling around with arenas... it's a whole different story

fel domination is a big deal in BGs for Warlocks who stay alive for a while... if you die quickly, theres better places to put it, because most likely you will die before your pet :P

health funnel, I actually agree with you. I have it into the extra 1K from HS over the Imp. health funnel.

I also haven't specced into CoExaustion, and only 1 point into Imp. life tap.

reason being, fear drops nightmare, 30% reduced movement speed, all you need for kiting pallys and such, and I acutually put those points into Imp. shadowbolt, believe it or not.

I know, I'm getting ready for the flaming.. but my reasoning is usually in Bgs I sit back and nuke (well, as well as anyone can as an afflic. warlock) and I find I'm shadowbolting often, and the 5% extra crit helps out not only me, but all other casters too. especially on that 60K 1500 resil druid tank that cleaves through the whole group.
    I have no intent of starting arena for a while, but I leveled 1-80 as destro and want to get used to affli play style. I won't start arena until I have full PvP set, minus weapon and wand of course. I currently have the gladiator gloves and pants from honor, and am doing WG and a lot of BGs, I am just trying to wrap my head around PvP in general, especially for a lock. I have never done serious PvP, just the occasional BG on most of my toons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux
    And the PvP pet of choice is Felpuppy?

Felpup has the spell eat, spell lock, and increased damage based on dots,
    VW consume shadows can pop rogues out of stealth
    Succy has CC
    Imp adds health

It seems like Felpup is the choice pick, but I clearly have limited knowledge of lock pvp
    as affliction, it is the way to go, i find.

with Demonology, Felguard all the way.

destro, it's a tossup between felpuppy, or imp... depends on if you prefer nuking or surviving.

for Arenas, I usually have my succy out at first, CC someone(healer or nuker usually) and when it's about to wear off, bring out my felpuppy to get back on the healer/nuker. seeing as it's a .43 second cast time or so, it's minimal, and those extra CDs can save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux
    I have no intent of starting arena for a while, but I leveled 1-80 as destro and want to get used to affli play style. I won't start arena until I have full PvP set, minus weapon and wand of course. I currently have the gladiator gloves and pants from honor, and am doing WG and a lot of BGs, I am just trying to wrap my head around PvP in general, especially for a lock. I have never done serious PvP, just the occasional BG on most of my toons

Orgasmic so far, isn't it?

For arena, and even for the most part in bg's the imp really sucks.
    Sure it may be extra stamina but no utility whatsoever.
    Personally my experience with the voidwalker is more for the shield, I have rarely had it find a rogue, especially since I have often been sucessfully sapped while having it being chanelled and not seen a thing.
    With the 3.3.3 changes then getting more mana back for the health, then improved life tap might not be such a bad one to take.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.