Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

gold t__f

fill in the blanks (fun for the whole family!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia
    Would you turn down a piece of gear that is identical to your current one except with 4 more haste? I wouldn't.
    Why bother enchanting it and spending 150-300g for FOUR haste?
    I wouldn't. Something tells me you don't have alot of money.
    Let's show 'em our hearts.
    Then show them theirs.

For my alts with t9/232 gear i only buy blue gems, epics are a waste. and I have 132k Gold :>

4 more haste? do you just have one socket on your entire gear? If you have 10-12 sockets then it's 40-44 more haste, and yes it does make a difference in a long run, maybe not in a single spell or an attack but over 2-3 hour raid you'll spot the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladread
    Why bother enchanting it and spending 150-300g for FOUR haste?
    I wouldn't. Something tells me you don't have alot of money.
    First off, if you are paying 150-300 gold for an enchant you are just being silly. Buy the mats and find an enchanter. Also, 150-300 gold can be made by running about 2-3 heroics, cutting a few gems, etc. It is a meaningless amount of G. As everyone else has said, why hoard gold if not to spend it? This is not RL, this is a freaking game, use the gold.

It really all depends on what you do with your character. I have 4 80s with around 35k in the bank. I generally only raid on 2 of them. My mage is my main is always gemmed and enchanted with the best enchants available, as my performance in a raid is important. That dps increase is the difference between meeting enrage timers on progression content. I also make sure my prot paladin has epics in all the sockets, as avoiding a hit or having enough health for a boss can be a deciding factor in our success.

Something a lot of people forget about raiding is that it isn't about you, it's about a team of 10 or 25 people getting together and working in unison against a boss. If you are too cheap to gem/enchant your gear properly you are letting the rest of the group down with your selfishness.

That being said, my other 2 80s I use for other things. I use them to farm for herbs for flasks, cut gems, skin, etc. I also use them to farm the dailies for extra emblems for primordials (and in the previous patch, crusader orbs) in order to make my crafted gear that much faster. I mostly use blue quality gems for those characters. I recently started picking up some t10 and I am putting epics in those. After all, it's what I will be leveling in I'm sure. As long as you make the choice for the characters based on what you are using them for, it doesn't matter what you use. But always be aware that you will have access to what you are willing to put into your characters.

Let's be honest here - upgrading from blue to epic equivalent of a gem is hardly going to be a 50 DPS increase. You're looking at more like ~5 DPS increase for them 3 points of haste/crit/whatever. Same with enchants, you probably gain a lot less than 50 DPS for the next one down.

I use my money on enchants on items I know will be hard to replace, else I use the cheaper enchants to make do. With gems, I get my own gems cut all the time with grinded honour - much better choice than buying them for 300 - 500g. The reasoning is because wipes cost gold, taking damage costs gold, flasks/reagents/whatever costs gold... marginal DPS upgrades aren't worth it if you aren't sure if you have the gold to spare when you'd be better off being fully repaired and flasked up.

Repairs > Flasks/Reagents > Enchants > Gems
    That's how I see my gear in terms of gold spending priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost
    It depends, really.

Do you do progression raids? If so, you're letting your guild down by not buying those gems. Otherwise, it's not really an issue at all.
    But don't be butthurt when a pug raid you are trying to get into kicks you before they even pull to make space for more dedicated players. Effort can be as important as skill and the guy with green gems is usually the same guy who will leave as soon as his gear doesn't drop or as soon as there is a wipe.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale

did i do something to make you mad at some point? or are you just normally this bitter? i don't really get why some of you are attacking me over this harmless thread, then acting like this forum is only for such 'important' profound threads but you clicked on it and thought it was worth at least replying to. its funny you try and call me a troll when you're just trolling my thread. GTFO and don't reply if you don't like it. jesus some of you are unbelievably bitter, sad people :P

and for the last time there is a scale between cheap bastard and practical/frugal but you're too dumb to get it.

Personally I find people like you offensive; you try to justify things like not gemming/enchanting gear to maximize the potential of your class/gear. Then go on to mmo-champ/tradechat and masturbate profusely about how much gold you have then get offended when the majority of players call you what you are a “self fulfilling cheap ass toll”.

If you Raid/BG in any way shape or form then you should always have your gear enchanted/gemmed out of respect for your fellow players. I Raid on my Main and ALT with my raiding guild on my 3rd toon I PuG a lot mainly because it’s not on the same server as my main/alt, it sad when you got people that are like you they brag in trade chat about how much gold they have, then they get in to a raid and they have crap gear or un-enchanted/un-gemmed gear when confronted you get a song and dance about “I’m going to upgrade in the next patch” (that’s is 6+ months away) or “mats are too expensive” but still refuse to use sub-par enchants/gems because they will just get replaced by better enchants if for some miracle they stumble on to the mats.

You ignore suggestions that would make the cost reasonable and allow you to upgrade the gems… instead you only take notice to when people call you out on what you are. This further supports the fact that you’re just a damn toll. Yes I maybe Trolling your thread at this point, that’s because myself and others have offered up suggestions to allow you to upgrade your gems, and reasons to why you should. But you choose to “stay the course” and refuse that advice which would make it very easy for someone like me to make the case that you really only posted to have your ego stroked the same way the Arena junkies brag about their rating or the Elite-Tards brag about their 10k DPS in Badge gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

Also do the math. My gear currently has 19 sockets in total. Blue vs Epic spellpower gems would be a difference of 76 spellpower. "200G for 4 SP" sounds trivial, but "be a dedicated player and get 76 more spellpower" all of the sudden makes a difference.

Its not cheap to not want to pay 250g for the epic gems, but I agree with the first reply that it is practical to buy them with honor or badges or to transmute.

I however, am cheap. I have +8 stats on all of my toons' chest enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkskeleton
    Depends how much it would cost to enchant/regem, if it was a weapon needing berserking enchant forget about it (In my opinion anyway)

I say it's practical for anyone who isn't in a world first claiming guild, 50 extra dps won't be kill deciding in almost all cases. But hey, if you want to spend the money on maximizing your efficiency by all means go for it. However, if you call someone out for using blue gems then you need to get a reality check and understand its just a game, let people play it how they want to play it.
    Honestly, you would be turned away immediately in a PuG on some realms if you came in with rare gems and cheap enchants. Thankfully, my realm is one of them.

You're cheap.

My Main has all epics in their gear. All the best enchants. Always. No excuses. Flasks and buff food for every raid. Heal, Mana, and Haste pots in abundance.

My first alt has all of the above for main spec. Off spec has rare/blue gems also enchanted over lvl 232 gear.

My 2nd alt has all of the above for main spec. Off spec has rare/blue gems also enchanted over lvl 232 gear.

I hover around 7k g across all my characters. Have for about a year or so.

All that being said, I raid 5 nights a week. Progression raiding is why I play the game.

If you are just gemming for the occasional pug tocr/vault/heroic, do whatever you want, its your toon. Just don't get upset if you don't get invited to a pug after they inspect you. It's perfectly reasonable for any raid leader to filter folks that don't gem/enchant appropriately for raiding.

As one person commented, 40 pts of your best stat x 25 raiders is a lot of lost heals, dps, effective health. Its the same with flasks and buff food, its not the little bit that you personally are missing, its the little bit x25 if everyone ignored epic gems, flasks, and buff food.

In progression raiding, missing a kill by as little as 20k health happens quite a bit. Probably about 6 or 7 times in the last month to me.

So, whether you should gem with epics or not depends on what your doing. But you're still cheap (though if your not prog-raiding, frugal is a better word)

Now I am doing regular pvp and occasional random dungeons, but a general lack of raiding then having enough gems is not an issue.
    If gear is low level, and likely to be replaced quickly then sure go for the cheap gems, but if you are at least high enough raiding content geared, then go for the epics, you can well afford them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

As a GM, gems other than epic ones buys you a decline into the guild in most circumstances. Being able to fund raiding is nonetheless a part of it.

I for one, not going hardmode-raiding and such, could not care less about 4 hit haste agility or whatever. Not enough to replace a existing 16 gem with a 20 anyway. But, when i obtain new gear, i tend to go for the epic gem. Just going with the idea that its gonna last a while.

Not that the + 4 justifies 300 extra gold, but gold is not really that hard to come by.

If you are in a non-raiding guild just doing dungeons, pvp or whatever you can do what you like.
    But if you are in a raiding guild you are gimping 9 (or 24) other players, and should be forced to use epic gems. ESPECIALLY when you have 40k lying around!

This thread shows who deserves endgame-raiding and who doesn't.

Raiding is about doing the best you can if you want to deserve anything,...

If you don't raid at all, I would never care about gems - but if someone with cheap enchants and cheap gems appears
    in one of my raids => Instantkick.

You want loot? - Optimize your gear/gems/enchants
    You want gold? - Never ever try to get in a raid and piss others off

As others have said, if you're in a non serious raiding guild, or not even in a guild, then who cares, do what you want.

If you were in my guild, you'd find your raid invites to not happen as often as the guy who goes and gets the best gems he can get for his sockets.

Besides, gems? Honestly? There's several ways (and conveniently they were provided for you in the first response) to get epic gems. I run my alts through Wintergrasp weekly and that alone earns enough honor for one gem a week per alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Storno
    This thread shows who deserves endgame-raiding and who doesn't.

Raiding is about doing the best you can if you want to deserve anything,...

If you don't raid at all, I would never care about gems - but if someone with cheap enchants and cheap gems appears
    in one of my raids => Instantkick.

You want loot? - Optimize your gear/gems/enchants
    You want gold? - Never ever try to get in a raid and piss others off

yeah honestly this thread surprised me with how stringent raid guilds are these days with min/max gearing. i guess i can understand but back when i did raid during the karazan just released days guilds were never this picky from my experience.

i've always been the type of player that thought play could overcome stats, but i understand with PvE theres a ceiling to 'play' where you can't do much else other than having min/max stats.