Best spec for Lich King

Hello all,

I'm wondering what spec is best for Lich King?

I'm working on 10-man right now as Demo, and our raid makeup is:

Unholy DK (DPS)
    Protadin
    Enh Shammy
    Unholy DK (Tank)
    Combat Rogue
    Disc Priest
    Survival Hunter
    Resto Shammy
    Demo Lock (Me)

and a link to my armory...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...r&cn=Warwithin

Thanks

(LK Attempt 5 starting in 10 seconds)
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Best spec for Lich King

We use spriest/demo/hunter/mage/rogue/ele/feral/protwar/discpr/hpali and get into p5 everytime.

~Best of Luck

Destruction, your the only caster dps.

But if you arent to good at destruction, go ahead and stay demo.

Do what you normally do. Don't try to force another spec upon yourself if you don't have experiance with it.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US

Quote Originally Posted by Somerandomhobo
    Destruction, your the only caster dps.

But if you arent to good at destruction, go ahead and stay demo.
    Yeah, I know how to play destro. Had it as my MS for about 8 months before going demo for 25mans.

And I've always been taught that

if you're the only lock in raid...

Demo > Aff > Destro

but...

if there is already a demo lock in raid...

Aff > Demo > Demo

Is the above all wrong?

edit

and I've got experience with all three specs, and willing to go whichever is best for the fight.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

I thought the recent all-around lock buffs made demo pretty even with destro, if not slightly better. I have no numbers to back it up, it was just the impression I received.

Plus, healers is casters too

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin
    Yeah, I know how to play destro. Had it as my MS for about 8 months before going demo for 25mans.

And I've always been taught that

if you're the only lock in raid...

Demo > Aff > Destro

but...

if there is already a demo lock in raid...

Aff > Demo > Demo

Is the above all wrong?
    Although there are quite a few variables, i think the general rule of thumb you are going for should be: raid comp /w demo lock already - Afflic > Demo =ish Destro and raid comp /wo a demo lock and /w significant casters - Demo > Afflic > Destro

Variables include your personal dps for each spec, other casters' dps, how many casters, what your SP is as demo.

If it means anything, both the US first and EU first LKnormal25 kills had afflic locks first on the meters (the EU one might have been second).

Affliction. Should never be Demo when you have no casters in your raid. You benefit no one really but yourself and you're doing less damage as Demo than you could be doing in other specs.

Affliction or destruction.
    I personally prefer destruction over affliction cause it's more my play style.
    But yeah, I understand being demo for 25's but for 10's there's really no point.
    You'll be doing a lot less damage than both affliction and destruction and the buffs won't make up for the loss of dps.

I"d go affliction, much higher dps on vile spirits and since you're the only caster DP isn't a huge deal

It's a little pointless being demo i think, when there's only yourself and the healers. If the healers aren't very well geared, perhaps, though i think affliction will probably be the better choice overall.

The difference in damage between specs now is negligible currently, so I would stick with what you're best at or prefer. Also, considering the large health pool the Lich King has, he'll likely be at 'execute phase' a fair bit longer than most bosses, so I'd personally suggest Demo or Afflic, since Destro lacks an execute spell.

Also, can someone confirm whether or not Immolation Aura damages the Vile Spirits if you're below them?

Quote Originally Posted by Apopo
    Also, considering the large health pool the Lich King has, he'll likely be at 'execute phase' a fair bit longer than most bosses, so I'd personally suggest Demo or Afflic, since Destro lacks an execute spell.
    Why would the health pool matter in terms of execute o0? His execute phase is even "shorter" due to the fight ending at 10%.

Overall most phases are filled with addspawns (except for P1 and who cares about that phase anyway) => a decent uptime of decimation for demo and gimped rampup times for affli.

15+ Year Old Account

I havent played destro at LK but howcome ppl say destro is good? Its a very aoe dependant fight from time to time and for that destro is crap.
    It cant keep full damage up on two targets like LK and horror in p1 either.
    It does not buff the spellpower or got heavy aoe like demo can do (not wise to melee spirits tho with aura ;o) Also demo can to some extent play around with decimation.

So curious, why should destro be good at LK?
    My experience, only from 25man tho is that Affliction beats the crap out of all the other specs if played by a good player that can keep good/perfect dualcycles up and stay alive with SoCspam at spirits.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted

@Bakis

My guess would be the combination of burst and mana efficiency. Though I've yet to see the encounter for myself.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney
    @Bakis

My guess would be the combination of burst and mana efficiency. Though I've yet to see the encounter for myself.
    That! Both actually!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

15+ Year Old Account

hmm yea guess so for 10man, burst and if lack of replenishment is a good point
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Depending on whether the Surv Hunter has replenishment or not could play a big role in choosing. Rolling w/ 2 heals would nessecitate having Relpenishment imo.

Also, seeing as he is the only caster, it's probably better to avoid DPS-ing the Vile Spirits completely. Everyone focus LK the whole time and use OT to taunt and soak their damage when they come down. He def won't be able to kill them as the only caster, so, imo, better to stay on LK full-time and shorten the length of the fight overall which = less Vile Spirit damage etc etc

15+ Year Old Account

Spec in that comp should reflect your groups weaknesses. Since you bring nothing to the table that someone there doesn't already bring, you should spec whichever you can do best while avoiding defiles.

Honestly, I doubt your spec will make a difference in this fight. Being able to avoid defile and teleport out of valkyr grips is what will get you a kill. I've done it as both Destro (17%) and Demo (kill), and there is no case where an extra bit of X will help you.

What is going to fuck you is having a valkyr carry someone over a defile, since you're melee heavy.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis
    It cant keep full damage up on two targets like LK and horror in p1 either.
    Do you really need to dps the horror o0? We usually let it get killed by the diseases only. (and some 13% spellpower debuff ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by SpacelySprocket
    Also, seeing as he is the only caster, it's probably better to avoid DPS-ing the Vile Spirits completely. Everyone focus LK the whole time and use OT to taunt and soak their damage when they come down. He def won't be able to kill them as the only caster, so, imo, better to stay on LK full-time and shorten the length of the fight overall which = less Vile Spirit damage etc etc
    I'm pretty sure you won't get away without killing any of the spirits and OT tanking certainly has it's limits both in taunt CD and tank health.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Do you really need to dps the horror o0? We usually let it get killed by the diseases only. (and some 13% spellpower debuff ofc)
    I'm pretty sure you won't get away without killing any of the spirits and OT tanking certainly has it's limits both in taunt CD and tank health.
    In 25man yea (even tho we need to stop or he die too fast), dont know about 10man as i tried to make clear a couple of times and on HC affliction is pure win, in fact i would argue every extra lock apart from the demo should be affliction.
    3,03million hp on horrors and its a huge advantage of being #1 damage on Horror as well as #1-3 on the LK.
    There I went a bit offtopic but well affliction is devastating on heroic mode

Guess I should drag my ass to LK 10man and try it out, would be fun to play old boring destro for a fight