Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Haste as Discipline

Hi, just wondering if theres a rough level of haste I should aim for as Discipline. Does it become useless after you reach a certain amount?

Currently I'm on 445/13.57% Do i need more etc?

Edit: Really just curious on whether I should start skipping over gear because it has haste and focus on Crit.

Re: Haste as Discipline

If you're primarily using flash heal as a filler, stacking haste stops being that useful after >10 or 11%, because the possible flash heal cast time will be below the actual one, limited by the global cooldown (when hastened by BT). If you're spamming flash heal, then the cap is somewhat higher.

Of course, more haste isn't wrong, since you'll be casting other spells as well. If you're a dedicated tank healer, you could even think about maximizing your haste and switching to Greater Heal ... but I wouldn't recommend it; while it'll work (to a degree), you're better off letting the paladins having the big numbers .).

*edit: forgot BT

15+ Year Old Account

You can definitely go for more. The hard cap is 50%. Stack haste or crit; it really comes down to playstyle. I like to have as much crit as I can get for those big numbers on my flash heals. But many disc priests will say that haste takes priority over crit. If you're an elitist jerk, optimise by stacking haste. If not, and you just want to heal how you want to heal, then so long as you are building up spell power, it doesn't matter how much haste you end up with.
    For the Alliance!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn
    You can definitely go for more. The hard cap is 50%. Stack haste or crit; it really comes down to playstyle. I like to have as much crit as I can get for those big numbers on my flash heals. But many disc priests will say that haste takes priority over crit. If you're an elitist jerk, optimise by stacking haste. If not, and you just want to heal how you want to heal, then so long as you are building up spell power, it doesn't matter how much haste you end up with.
    Yeah I'm rocking 2960 Spell Power if I use Althor's Abacus but I switch that out depending on the fight for Spark of Hope.

Edit: If someone can take a look at me and give me any tips, cheers.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...enor&cn=Zephon

You could use more spellpower.

Once you reach 30k mana raid buffed, you should be safe to socket pure spellpower in every socket, apart from activating your meta gem.

15+ Year Old Account

Already at 30K raid buffed in 25

Suppose its a preference. Personally, if I'm raidshielding everyone, I'll throw in a prayer of healing here and there if my shields are immediately absorbed, everyone has weakened soul and.... yeah.... =/ http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...wmoon&cn=Minia

I love haste + crit gear =] Play style of course, has alot to do with it.

Predicting damage - the right way.

I tried my Disc/holy priest at 800+ haste with the trinket proc going over 1K. It's a waste, the mechanics of the class don't support it at all. I have like you 400-600 haste that's fine.

Remember that most runs we are on in 10-25 mans we will have a caster shaman providing that 5% buff to spell haste.

Haste and Crit are both annoyingly half used by Disc tbh, given shield takes very little from either, wtb pure spellpower items .

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn
    Was that really neccessary to say?

Anyways, back to the point.
    Even if I wanted to get rid of haste, I can't.
    It's not that I want it, its just hard to take away on gear nowadays.
    I say, "hey, if haste there, why not?"
    As long as I say 35% crit unbuffed, Im perfect fine with haste ending up on my gear.
    However, I agree with everything said here, stacking haste is a complete waste and it doesn't support our role in this game.
    Stack spellpower, and complete your meta.
    I personally use IED meta still, but probably don't need it by now.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&n=Revitalize

Depending on your playstyle and role in your raid, haste can be useful. Personally, i prefer the greater heal-based disc spec, so i dont use many flash heals at all. Haste benefits me quite a bit, but i dont stack it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    However, I agree with everything said here, stacking haste is a complete waste and it doesn't support our role in this game.
    A completely wasted stat would be one that offers no contribution whatsoever. Once you're geared to the point that running OOM isn't an issue, what other stat besides crit do you want on your gear? Your options are haste, mp5, and spirit, and only haste has any benefit at that point. Yes, after a certain amount you hit the hard cap on FH, but having faster penance, GH, and PoH is nothing to sneer at. My disc set is at about 840 haste right now, and tbh I'm looking to replace the few remaining pieces I have that offer spirit with items that offer haste in its place. Of course, I'll probably pick up the balance of the 4pc holy set for use on shield-spam fights like LK, but that's about it.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

15+ Year Old Account

Why do you hate mana regen so much :-\

It's not that mana regen's "hated", it's that it's highly unnecessary for the spec, and you can push actual use out of better itemisation points.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I personally like a lot of haste as disc. My FH is at 1.15 sec cast un-hasted .91 hasted. and PoH 1.78 Hasted. But I basically just spam shields keep PoM on CD, penance and fh as necessary. I never run oom other than BQL and LK, but shadowfiend and mana tide are sufficient enough. I was main spec holy so a some of my gems may be off like my reckless gems which would be better suited as pure sp, which I may or may not change. Here's my link if you guys wanna check it out for gear/gem advice.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ius&cn=Staticc

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    It's not that mana regen's "hated", it's that it's highly unnecessary for the spec, and you can push actual use out of better itemisation points.
    ^^

Giving preference to MP5 or Spirit on gear over haste (or gemming for MP5/Spirit) when mana is never a concern is like a shadow priest looking for hit rating beyond their hit cap. It does you no good.

At higher gear levels, you can pretty much eliminate 'optional' regen gear / gemming. I socket for SP, give preference to gear with haste/crit, have a paltry 196 MP5 casting (plus 272 from dual solace atm) and never have mana issues except on LK, where I take care of that by switching out a few haste/crit pieces for spirit/crit (and a helm w/ IED meta).

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick
    A completely wasted stat would be one that offers no contribution whatsoever. Once you're geared to the point that running OOM isn't an issue, what other stat besides crit do you want on your gear? Your options are haste, mp5, and spirit, and only haste has any benefit at that point. Yes, after a certain amount you hit the hard cap on FH, but having faster penance, GH, and PoH is nothing to sneer at. My disc set is at about 840 haste right now, and tbh I'm looking to replace the few remaining pieces I have that offer spirit with items that offer haste in its place. Of course, I'll probably pick up the balance of the 4pc holy set for use on shield-spam fights like LK, but that's about it.
    The spirit regen is actually useful, and most hardmodes involve shield spam.
    So I don't see why you'd prefer such haste.
    I don't hate haste, I just see it as a, "If its there, it's there stat."
    I don't cast greater heal, my only filler is flash heal.
    In hardmode ICC 25, you generally have no downtime to get ready and cast a greater heal, its completely pointless.
    It's not about running oom, it's about being better safer than sorry.
    I never have to call out for innervate and generally Im left with about 3k mana at the end of fights.
    Our strengths have always been about shields, which hardly require any haste usage.
    I just make sure I cap my flash heal with borrowed time.

Often in 25man raids, healers narrow their repertoire of spells. Holy casts all instants, pallies spam HL, shaman spam CH, and Disc spams shields. There's nothing wrong with that. They each serve a purpose and they work well together. In this role, haste provides little to Disc.

In a 10man or if you are asked to fill in for a holy pally as a tank healer, you will find tremendous utility for haste as Disc as a healer's role in a 10man is much more versatile and you can actually find a purpose for more of your heals.

In reference to the OP, when you are gearing up, if an item is a big spellpower upgrade (gem slots are your friend), grab it regardless of whether it has haste or crit. SP is king with Disc, far above crit/haste.

If you are talking end-game gearing, focus upon items with SP/crit/haste sans spirit. These items in every way will maximize your throughput.

TLDR: Haste makes a Disc priest versatile

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    The spirit regen is actually useful, and most hardmodes involve shield spam.
    So I don't see why you'd prefer such haste.
    I don't hate haste, I just see it as a, "If its there, it's there stat."
    I don't cast greater heal, my only filler is flash heal.
    In hardmode ICC 25, you generally have no downtime to get ready and cast a greater heal, its completely pointless.
    It's not about running oom, it's about being better safer than sorry.
    I never have to call out for innervate and generally Im left with about 3k mana at the end of fights.
    Our strengths have always been about shields, which hardly require any haste usage.
    I just make sure I cap my flash heal with borrowed time.
    Spirit regen is useful only up to the point where it succeeds in its part in keeping you from going OOM. Beyond that point it is wasted. I'm not saying I don't want spirit on my gear, but given the choice I prefer haste for which there are casts that will always benefit. As to hard modes, has not become a problem issue for me (though I admit it's more taxing than regular), but I'm not shield spamming a-la lich king for every hard mode. LK is still the only fight where I request an innervate (ways to go before we're on him in HM, but for that fight as I said I switch out some gear to help mitigate the mana issue).

But it's largely about playstyle. If your play has you ending the fight near 3k mana while using all CD's as available, then you're not dedicating too much towards your regen. I was generally never ending that low, so pushed more towards haste. Also, haste to the point of getting FH to raid-buffed hard cap w/o BT is a very desirable goal if it's your primary filler. You're not going to have BT every time you want to cast a FH when you're in a position requiring single-target HPS.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Spirit regen is useful up to a point, but it was never an issue for me personally until I got to LK 10 (don't raid 25s). For just about every other fight in ICC 10, significant regen just isn't needed if you're using your cooldowns correctly. For this reason, I've skipped T10 and went for a lot of crit/haste offset pieces. Being a disc tank healer in our 10s means that a good amount of haste is very good for throughput when you can't always rely on Borrowed Time to hasten your next cast. As such, I run with about 800 haste with a few SP/haste gems and otherwise a bunch of SP gems.

In the end, it comes down to your role. If you tank heal, haste is worthwhile and arguably as much or more valuable as crit since you can't rely on Borrowed Time. If you raid heal or bubble spam, you'll have BT up when you need to cast just about anything so haste can begin to be devalued at >11% haste, but even then, its determined by your healing style as a raid healer.