Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightwell Proposal

I posted the majority of this idea in another thread but I really liked it, so I put it on the Suggestion forums.
    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....99841624&sid=1

I have a proposal which I think falls in line with many things that the Blues are looking for in terms of Cataclysm changing healing to make it more interesting and less of whack-a-mole with raid frames. (Read: Blues have already said they don't want to give us the ToC Lightwell because it adds another fire and forget spell to our book. And plus that would just make it Healing Stream Totem that isn't group bound.)

- You lay down the well; this would be purely cosmetic. It would be awesome if what I describe below would have a visual representation on the Lightwell.

- The well harnesses energy which will be its resource to heal. Every time you cast a heal the well would absorb energy. In practice, let's say this aspect works exactly like the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34471 trinket back from Magister's Terrace. [Let's say 10 stacks is the max, and every spell you cast adds a stack, maybe the well would flash or something each time, or upon reaching 10.]

-By clicking another spell linked to the Lightwell (think how Demonic Portal/Teleport are linked) you bring up a targetting circle like the one Priests have for Mass Dispel. People within the circle would get healed obviously.

-After thinking, I came up with 2 logical options. Either X amount of energy = X amount of healing divided by the number of targets it hits, or X amount of energy just heals each person for X amount with a player cap (5? 10?). I think the latter is a better option as the former would make it incredibly powerful on only 1-2 people, which might be a concern in PvP (albeit nice for Holy priest's terrible PvP performance).

-Lastly, what kind of heal is it? A direct heal? A HoT? In my opinion the best case would be something like a Druid's Wild Growth, although they might not appreciate Priest's taking one of their unique mechanics.

PROS:
    -Does not need a cooldown to not be spammable. Good design.
    -Gets healers to heal by looking at the fight a little bit more instead of staring at raid frames.
    -Makes an old iconic spell useful by taking the responsibility away from the individual and back to the healer.
    -It is not an automatic/smart heal much like PoM / CoH.

CONS:
    -If Grid shows some people in Group 5 having low health and you want to use your Lightwell's energy to heal them, it becomes a bit difficult to "find" them.

Please tell me what you think (especially other cons, I'll edit them into the list). Unfortunately I have my doubts as to how many blues read through these forums.
    P.S I get this nagging feeling that people will have trouble finding a niche for the spell.

Re: Lightwell Proposal

This would sadly only be good for melee healing since other roles are supposed to spread out on most fights.

What I would like to see is a healer who uses energy and cooldowns and really has to read the fight so he knows when to pop everything and when to hold back.

Same argument can be applied to CoH Gratzzz.

I like the idea, but with the CD on CoH and this move being pretty similar, it would literally just be OP circle spam.

tbh just wow!

first time in a while someone actually posted something good instead of just a OP or useless replacement for lightwell
    it sure has my approval! finnaly a spell we can use instead of having to tell dps to use it.

1 thing tho it would be allitle OP i gues if your able to instant heal your 5vs5 man for a nice amount without the enemy having a way to stop you so maybe the lightwell should have a HP bar like in toc 5man but made to take only 10% of aoe or something? like most pets have atm
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Make the lightwell like a totem. Low enough HP to be one shot by just about anything but immune to AoE damage. Makes it an option to destroy it in PvP but wont effect its PvP usage

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Threndsa
    Make the lightwell like a totem. Low enough HP to be one shot by just about anything but immune to AoE damage. Makes it an option to destroy it in PvP but wont effect its PvP usage
    It has been said many times that they do not want to turn it into a totem.

Blizzard like the idea of you putitng something down and it doing the healing. They even made a bloody thing in ToC5, why done they just give us a scaled down version of that?

I always thought Lightwell as a kind of stationary Wild Growth would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Abb
    It has been said many times that they do not want to turn it into a totem.

Blizzard like the idea of you putitng something down and it doing the healing. They even made a bloody thing in ToC5, why done they just give us a scaled down version of that?
    First off, what you're suggesting is also a totem, so that is out. Second, his idea is actually awesome. It stops it from being a totem, but also makes it more of the healers job to activate lightwell instead of the dps' job.

If I remember right, you can kill lightwell, so it is not as powerful as you would think in PvP.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    First off, what you're suggesting is also a totem, so that is out. Second, his idea is actually awesome. It stops it from being a totem, but also makes it more of the healers job to activate lightwell instead of the dps' job.

If I remember right, you can kill lightwell, so it is not as powerful as you would think in PvP.
    Yes, it has the same hp as a normal level 80 grinding quest mob, 12.6k

That also means that you do the actual healing, the well is jsut the conduite. Blizzard has stated they like the idea of IT doing the healing, so I honestly do not know.

I think it'd be cool if it sent out a heal in an AoE every X seconds OR casts the same spell as the preist that used the lightwell that heals the priest's target for 50% of the heal the priest cast. If that makes sense... ex:

Priest casts Flash Heal on target Y
    Flash Heals heals for 5000
    Lightwell will cast a delayed Flash Heal that heals for 2500 on the target Y

Now this can go either way. Mind you the delay is very short

Way 1:
    Heal from Lightwell heals target as normal

Way 2:
    If the priests heal tops the target off or overheals, the delayed Lightwell heal will cancel and immediately begin casting on the player with the lowest health in the party or raid.

15+ Year Old Account

This idea actually seems different and unique, but wouldn't it be too much if Holy Priests would need to control a well to make their healing well? Perhaps if it was casting heals when you used a certain spell (like Prayer of Healing, Circle of Healing or Greater Heal), then it wouldn't require that much concentration. I mean focusing on a well seems annoying IMO. It's like having a pet that doesn't walk and doesn't know how to attack by itself. How funny is that?
    I don't understand why Blizzard has so much against that it becomes like the Lightwell from Trial of the Champion instances. Holy Priests are unique in that way, that they have so great variety of healing spells familiar like other classes brought together. They have healing over time spells (Druid), jumping heal (Shaman), fast heal (ALL), slow strong heal (mostly only used by Paladins), instant aoe (Druid), cast aoe (Shaman?), shield (Paladin) and CD's for better healing. Giving them this "totem" would just move them in the already moved direction, but I think that if they made any changes at the moment, it would make the Holy Priest class OP. Perhaps in Cataclysm, but not now. Perhaps this would make it fair for Discipline to get AoE shield :]

Yes, it has the same hp as a normal level 80 grinding quest mob, 12.6k

That also means that you do the actual healing, the well is jsut the conduite. Blizzard has stated they like the idea of IT doing the healing, so I honestly do not know.
    That is easily fixed, the spell causes the lightwell to shoot holy light to every in the affected area. The source is the lightwell, but it is controlled by the healer and not the dps(which is one of the major flaws with lightwell), and it will also have a projectile, so the heal is not instant, but it will still be very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hawt!
    Same argument can be applied to CoH Gratzzz.

I like the idea, but with the CD on CoH and this move being pretty similar, it would literally just be OP circle spam.
    This move wouldn't have a CD but you would only be able to fire off a fully charged heal every 10-15 seconds.
    Since Priests already have 2 direct AoE heals it would make sense for this one to be a HoT (also keeps it in line with what the Lightwell has always given), but the most powerful option would be the Wild Growth approach imo.
    Honestly, I can see this thing taking a good 2-3 seconds to use even if it's instant. Even if the circle is as huge as Mass Dispel, it will take you a bit to place it properly.

They even made a bloody thing in ToC5, why done they just give us a scaled down version of that?
    They don't want to give us another brainless/smart heal.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    This idea actually seems different and unique, but wouldn't it be too much if Holy Priests would need to control a well to make their healing well? [...] I mean focusing on a well seems annoying IMO. It's like having a pet that doesn't walk and doesn't know how to attack by itself. How funny is that?
    You wouldn't have to monitor the well really. You would put it down and maybe as a limitation you have to stay within 40 yards of the well. Otherwise however, you'd look at how many stacks it has as one of your buffs ("Oh I have 9 stacks of 'Lightwell Infusion' -- I can either cast it now for it to be almost full strength or cast something else and then have it fully ready")
    I'm also not sure what you mean by control the well? It wouldn't be a pet. Maybe in terms of classification it would appear something like: Lightwell <Nyneave's Guardian>.

So far I've tried to stray away from the real details though. Would it heal 5 targets? or 10? Cast times? Range? Cost? Actual throughput?
    The biggest limitation I've come up with so far is the whole visualizing who is at low health on Grid vs. where they are in the actual boss room. Having organized raid groups helps with this though; if Groups 1 & 2 are melee and they're on low health... that's a no brainer.
    There are just so many factors though... I think having a huge targetting circle like Mass Dispel would be practical because it would mean you can get a few people inside it even if they're ranged and spread out. On the other hand though, if you put that huge circle on a big juicy pile of melee and it only heals 5 people..... (This is where that model of big # X healing spread evenly among all the people it hits looks nice).

Again in its defense, to me it seems like outside of VoA, there aren't that many fights nowadays where you can clearly PoH a group right up. Maybe 2 people in Group 1 took damage, 2 people in Group 4 and 1 person in Group 5. Let's use Professor Putricide as an example. When a Green slime explodes and knocks people back, there's no guarantee they were in the same group. In fact I think that's a great example where the targetting circle would far outstrip trying to PoH an individual group (edit: Assuming they got knocked back in the same direction, which according to how my guild does it, that tends to be the case).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic
    You wouldn't have to monitor the well really. You would put it down and maybe as a limitation you have to stay within 40 yards of the well. Otherwise however, you'd look at how many stacks it has as one of your buffs ("Oh I have 9 stacks of 'Lightwell Infusion' -- I can either cast it now for it to be almost full strength or cast something else and then have it fully ready")
    I'm also not sure what you mean by control the well? It wouldn't be a pet. Maybe in terms of classification it would appear something like: Lightwell <Nyneave's Guardian>.
    I still think it some how limits us still, and especially if we have to stay in range of it. :/ But perhaps if it still can gain its energy even though you aren't near and then when you want to unleash it, you'll need to be in near. Perhaps this can be a nice idea ^^

Cool pvp application if the Lightwell's position determines range/position of healing.

You
    oooooooooooo
    oooThis isoooooo
    ooooa Pillarooooooo
    ooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooo
    Lightwell The person you want to heal.

(Point being you're outta LoS of the person.)

Just change it somehow so it doesn't require people to heal themselves. Am I going to be thinking about my healthbar while stabbing a boss?

Why does it have to be a direct heal or HoT at all? Can't they change it to a "increases healing by X for Y seconds" and just make it a timed buff? The Priest draws enegry from the lightwell to increase healing power...

I am impressed tbh.You have a very nice idea it's interesting logical and easy configurable.It adds a flavor to holy specc and smthing completely unique

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Well, i liked this idea but...i've been thinking...what if it stays as a DPS triggered heal? The Priest puts down the Lightwell, it gives a 10 charges buff to everyone, and when you want a heal you right click the buff and remove a charge, giving you a powerful HoT! It's unique and still not Priest-controlled like Blizzard wants...please give your opinion :P
    "The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn."

I honestly can't believe that you registered to post that.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.