10+ Year Old Account

Where to go, Disc priest advice

So i'm lookignf or some advice on my priest to impove gear with badges/what ever
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...on&cn=Landholy

I'm working on the bracers, just grinding some more gold to get the bejeweled ToC pattern ones, and my second proffesion is yet to be leveled.. yet more gold! Just wondered what that should be really, I have Incription and Alch on one char and Herb/mining on my farmer.
    I appreciate i only have one Dragons eye in atm as i only just finnished leveling my JC today so i need a couple mroe days to get a hold of the haste pattern.

Also with regards to the tier pieces.. im a little confused as to what i need to get, I have the Healing legs in my bag from VoA 10 and the Shadow Gloves from 10 man ( not sure whether to use em or not).
    Ive not done a massive amount of raiding in ICC yet becuase i only recently swiched my main to it but my guild frequntly clears up to Cindrigosa in ten man and rotface/fester in 25.
    So my main questions i guess are : Second proffesion... which one
    And what to do with my frosties!

Cheers, if there is anything else that you think would benifit my char, please dont hesitate to post a suggestion

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Where to go, Disc priest advice

I looked at your talents and I saw that you had 3/5 Holy Specialization and 5/5 Divine Fury. I don't think you use Greater Heal as Discipline and additional critical hit chance seems more nice, or am I wrong?

What kind of healing do you do in your raids, ie, tank healing, shield spamming, whatever is needed...? The main reason I ask that is because of your push for haste. I see you're dual specced as holy, which can make gemming/enchanting/gear choices very difficult because of the difference in stat priorities. Which do you heal as more often? Things like spirit v. mp5, and whether to gem for things like haste and intellect are based a lot off of which spec you choose. As discipline, if you're going to gem regen, the choice is mp5, whereas for holy (and depending on the socket bonus, shadow) you would gem spirit. Also as discipline, although haste and crit aren't bad, once you've reached the gear level you are at, most will gem straight Spellpower to scale shields up. Let us know what kind of healing you do, and I'll try to keep up on this page.

Edit: I'll be away from my comp for a little bit, so I figured I'd give some general recommendations and tips.

I hesitate to post this, because there is usually controversy over exact stat weights, but for the mixed types of healing I'm needed for in my raids, I follow:

Intellect (until 26-28k mana unbuffed) > Spellpower > Haste (until GCD capped with Borrowed Time) > Crit > Haste (past Borrowed Time cap) > Intellect (past 28k mana) > Mp5 > Spirit

It's a bit of a mouthful, but to summarize, get your mana pool where you're comfortable with your regen (some fights you won't drop below 50%, some fights you'll need a Shadowfiend for), then stack Spellpower. If you have a complete sidegrade gear choice where you're choosing between Haste and Crit, I follow the priorities above. In general for Disc, like your Meteor Chaser's chest, SP/Crit/Haste gear is superior to SP/Spirit/X gear. Be wary though, if your group does not have a Replenishment buff, you will definitely notice it in full SP/Crit/Haste gear.

The logic behind Spellpower stacking is simple. Spellpower affects everything, and more importantly is practically the only stat that affects PW:S.

Haste beyond the GCD cap is almost entirely wasted because you're either PW:S'ing (instant), PoM'ing (instant), Flash Healing (scales with GCD), Renew'ing (instant), or Penance'ing (the only spell you benefit from past that Haste amount with Borrowed Time up).

Crit affects your PW:S's a negligible amount. With Glyph of PW:S, a "critical shield" (the glyph proccing an Aegis) shields for a mere 9% more than a regular shield. For regular heals such as Flash, Penance, and PoM, crit is actually quite nice in that not only does it heal for 1.5 times more, but you then get an Aegis for 45% of your normal heal, making it effectively 1.95 times more than a non-crit heal. Depending on your healing style, Crit can become a bigger factor in picking gear. For example, if you're on Tank duty with the Holy Paladin in a 25, you may only be casting PW:S 10% of the time, so Crit is affecting a huge portion of your spells.

Be aware of your specific healing situation, and choose your stats accordingly. Great Disc Frost Emblem gear includes Meteor Chaser's (which you have), the 60 Emblem SP/Crit/Haste gloves, the 50 Emblem Mp5 Cloak, and the 60 Emblem Purified Lunar Dust trinket (depending on your current trinkets, I'm not sure I would take this over Heroic Solace). Other notables include the ICC crafted SP/Crit/Haste pants, and some Disc Priests even take T10 Shadow Helm/Shoulders for the stats. [NOTE: This may be changing, because Blizz decided to make the 4 piece Healing bonus for T10 better. I haven't had the chance to 'math' this yet.]

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    I looked at your talents and I saw that you had 3/5 Holy Specialization and 5/5 Divine Fury. I don't think you use Greater Heal as Discipline and additional critical hit chance seems more nice, or am I wrong?
    Disc is starting to lean towards GH now(when needed), and since the ideal gear set for disc is Int/Crit/Haste, the haste won't be wasted too much.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    Disc is starting to lean towards GH now(when needed), and since the ideal gear set for disc is Int/Crit/Haste, the haste won't be wasted too much.
    There's probably a lot I don't know about Priests.

Disc in general? Certainly not.

Greater Heal does become a viable option at higher gear levels, with enough haste and mana to actually heal stuff and not go oom after 2 minutes. Unless you're tank healing on AnubHC or ICC HC, you shouldn't worry too much about using GH at all.

@ Topic:

Enchanting as a 2nd profession is a good choice, and if you're yet unsure how to gear or play your priest, save those frost emblems for later. You'll only regret buying items you'll not find suited for your style of playing a week later.

10+ Year Old Account

Genrally speaking i stick on the tanks and spam sheilds whilst theres not alot going on or big incoming damage on the raid.
    I dont really have any mana problems and my Crit goes up to about 44% in the raids so im not too worried about that

10+ Year Old Account

Also, is it worth breaking by T9 two set to get the Gloves of false gestures ( Spell power haste ones) and use the T10 legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Shockk
    Disc in general? Certainly not.

Greater Heal does become a viable option at higher gear levels, with enough haste and mana to actually heal stuff and not go oom after 2 minutes. Unless you're tank healing on AnubHC or ICC HC, you shouldn't worry too much about using GH at all.
    I think you misunderstood what Fabian wanted to say :

Disc is starting to lean towards GH now(when needed)...
    Underlined and bold is the crucial thing. Each time the haste debates starts (implying GH necessarely otherwise haste is only valuable on penance and to some small extent to FH) the point fabian mentionned is not considered.

When you go to high haste stacking (which in fact doesn't trade any other valuable stat like SP or int) this is mostly coupled with 5 DF templates and having the opportunity of using the spell when required, meaning you certainely don't use GH as a filler or you mana will disapear fast enough, but if main tank healers need stronger support due to heavy incoming damages, then you contribution becomes more noticable. PWS > Penance > GH is a burst sequence really helpfull from time to time.

But FH is still the filler even with haste and DF template, keep it in mind. Depending of our raid setting, i could find myself casting 1 GH for 2 FH on average when we only have 1 holydin with us. If 2 palies, then GH number decreases this is obvious