Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Ret Pally's Difficult?

I have played a pali to 80, everything was good and full of pleasure while lvl (i like shiny)

Then i got 80, saw in Dalaran 1k paladins ..., then i did DG/BG and Raids, got full T9

And now i already started another character, cause there is no fun in Holy OR Ret :S

And if i want a tank ill roll Warr or DK (my optionion/choise)

Only thing i have to say about paladin, its even more faceroll then a DK (unholy). (yes have one to)

So now playing a Rogue, 1000x beter

Paladin is imho the most childish faceroll class in game now ive played it, i thought differently be4
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Ret pallies are amazingly easy. If you think it's hard to play one, you clearly haven't played anything hard at all. I recently rerolled feral druid in search of something actually difficult to play. I'd say keeping up with the priority list with feral druid isnt the hardest thing in the world like they make it out to be, but it's definitely more challenging than any ret pally, dk, or arcane mage. (I've done all pretty much except for mage, but mageslol)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Ferals in my guild like to pretend DPSing is rocket surgery.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Easy to play.
    Hard to master.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlyskilled
    Ferals in my guild like to pretend DPSing is rocket surgery.
    /chukle irl

Quote Originally Posted by lyradude
    Easy to play.
    Hard to master.
    qft

/wave @ Synchronalis :3

I don't get why there are so many bad rets out there, from my experience its very easy to play, even play well. The minor nuances that make you great are things like keeping corruption up on bosses with adds, like Putricide, but things like that aren't particularly unique to ret.

Hell, there use to be a /cast random macro that you could spam that would basically hit the first spell off cooldown for you and it was good enough to keep you competative.

Yes, there's a little more thought involved when 2 or 3 spells all come off cooldown at the same time, but its not difficult if you have your spell priorities set.

it's not faceroll, the only faceroll i'm aware of was lock in TBC just spam that sbolt and be done, but blizz changed all classes towards priority queues now so they all feel similar 'rotation' wise and it's just that you have different number of different abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Luzzifus
    (e.g. warlocks rotation based playstyle and enhancement shamans priority based playstyle).
    sorry but woot??? destro is as close as you get to rotation but it's still more of a short priority list than rotation and demo is completely proc/cd/boss hp dependant so there is no rotation there and same for aff.

also about arcan mages they are as close as you can get to resource management on caster class, and i like that, but they could use one more button to press.

i personally think that ret has the capacity to be utterly faceroll. But to top meters as ret you have to know what you're doing.

I was a warlock TBC (lol), i've played a ret, a shaman, a mage, a dk, and a rogue in some capacity throughout Wrath. Now while I haven't played most of those in ICC; I can safe with pretty good certainty that all those classes are fairly easy to learn and play... but most of them are hard to master.

Ret falls into this same category.

Just because you have more buttons to push doesn't make you more or less faceroll; ret just had it bad in 3.0 simply because they could easily press 3 buttons and have someone dead. Most classes have either a setup for DPS that keeps itself going, a consistent rotation, or some kind of priority. No class is rocket science, but it does take some skill to be good at what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    and btw, don't say it's faceroll unless you've raided ret deep into ICC and ALSO done the same with another DPS class using a rotation, otherwise, you have nothing to compare and are going on hearsay, so shut it ^^ kkthxbai
    so you just try ret, claim its hard and not faceroll then ask that others have experiance with it before claiming it is faceroll?

ret is that is, there is no attention needed. I have raided ret, mm/sv hunter, rogue, feral druid, enhanc shammy. And a mix of healing classes. Ret being just as faceroll as people say it is. So what you have to watch cds, every class has a system all of which watching afew cds lands at the top of easymod list. Ive also pvped as ret and its also easy. Healers are gonna run circles around you but meh.

Quote Originally Posted by dazline
    so you just try ret, claim its faceroll and not hard ?
    cwutididthar?

15+ Year Old Account

The difficulty with ret is this (edit: if you can classify anything in WoW as difficult).

You're job is to put out the most dps possible, just like any other dps class. When your "rotation" is based purely on a priority list, your sequence of abilities used looks something like 1241354241232414321 as opposed to 111121111211112 like an arcane mage would be. That's fairly obvious. This means though that in order to maximize your dps and not miss any priorities, you need to focus on your bars more than others and a lot of people can fall victim to tunnel vision and lose track of their surroundings. When it comes to hard modes, there is a lot you need to focus on outside of staring at your abilities and watching when they are off CD and this is when it becomes more of a challenge to maintain a perfect priority while having excellent raid awareness. Yes you can use some FCFS helper like CLCret but those don't tell you to wait .1 seconds for judgment to come up when you are low on mana instead of just mashing consecrate like it tells you to do, thus running you OOM.

As far as these more "difficult" classes, they may actually have some rotation to follow but they don't need to focus on staring at bars the entire time to maximize dps. As an arcane mage, which I play as an alt, you can hide all of your bars, never seeing an ability the entire fight, yet keep a perfect rotation. Same for any class that simply applies one ability until it's duration is amost expired, and refeshing that ability while continuing to spam another, which generally applies to most other classes. You don't need to ever really look at your bars, just monitor your debuffs, reapply when appropriate, and continuing mashing your one or 2 main abilities.

Ret is the opposite, you never need to manage or watch debuffs, yet you have to watch all of your abilities especially with 2pT10 to maximize those procs as well.

So long story short, any ret in a high end guild farming hard modes, putting out big numbers, and maintaining high survivability is generally playing at a higher level than an arcane mage or similar class in that same guild. End of story.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Swampmoose
    The difficulty with ret is this.......
    I listen to Swampy when it comes to Rets, and I think you should too.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

He's from my server. :P

How are you my BDF brother?

Deleted

Rotations are not hard either way, all it takes is practice.
    inb4 feral/enhancement trolls claiming it's hard.

Not to be rude, but I'm a bit confused on how you can get tunnel vision on these things. Ok, you do need to check to see which one's lit up, but can't you see that out of the corner of your eyes at the very least? And IIRC there's addons that make the bars go close to the middle of your screen and bump whatever you should move next into a bigger frame (crclret or something like that I think?)...

EDIT: And really, while I'm not trying to trash talk the Ret rotation, please don't go around saying it's harder because you have to do this or that (responding to the OP's post), everyone has to go around and make sure things are ready to be used and check for things. If you REALLY want people to leave Ret's rotation alone, stop bringing it up. The more you try to prove them wrong, the more they respond about how you're wrong and the bigger it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by EndGame
    He's from my server. :P

How are you my BDF brother?
    Oh hello there! Not bad, yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    Not to be rude, but I'm a bit confused on how you can get tunnel vision on these things. Ok, you do need to check to see which one's lit up, but can't you see that out of the corner of your eyes at the very least? And IIRC there's addons that make the bars go close to the middle of your screen and bump whatever you should move next into a bigger frame (crclret or something like that I think?)...
    how?
    ring proc+DC proc+WFS proc+Wings up+pot up, and with all of it, would you give a damn about surroundings?)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    CLCret, like I said, won't make decisions for you. It helps the average player, but it won't tell you when to situationally break your FCFS rotation for some greater benefit.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    and btw, don't say it's faceroll unless you've raided ret deep into ICC and ALSO done the same with another DPS class using a rotation, otherwise, you have nothing to compare and are going on hearsay, so shut it ^^ kkthxbai
    I played my friends ret for the first time a few days ago and got into a ICC 10 pug. I pulled 7-8k dps without knowing what to do. I would call that pretty faceroll.
    Quote Originally Posted by tremors
    Divine Shield.. Never really stood the hole point of the "oh look at me im in a shiny bubble" I mean come on what does that shit even do?! Pointless waist of mana imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowz
    I played my friends ret for the first time a few days ago and got into a ICC 10 pug. I pulled 7-8k dps without knowing what to do. I would call that pretty faceroll.
    arcane(fury)(hunter)(oomkin) dps iz srs bznz

and oh, btw, your statement tells us nothing, for probably your fried was wearing bis top gear for ret.
    and one last thing - i dont believe you w/o prooflink.