Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: How to shorten the LFG queue for DPS

Every tank I play with has the same philosophy during heroics: You are soloing the instance. Once you get high enough gear, you just stop caring about the rest of the group. As long as your healer is capable of pressing ANY sort of heal (Gift of the Naruu included), you're set. My druid just barrel rolls through everything in any instance; including HoR. It stops being relavent after a certain point. When you have 30k armor and 50% dodge, get healed every other swing for 6% of your 54k hp, who the hell cares what the dps is doing? In most situations you're either soloing the damn instance or taunting off baddies in ICC25 gear who don't understand (or care about, depending on the person) threat anyways.

Tanks, REAL tanks, the people that you want to be tanking for you, don't give a fuck about whether or not their pampered; they don't need or want your opinion about how amazing/ how much of a dick they are.

In a perfect world, yes, people on WoW would show common courtesy to one another. But wish in one hand and shit in another; see what happens first, no?
    I tell you what though. The next time your little sister loses her dolly in the neighbor's yard, and he punches her in the throat, don't call the cops. He has a sign on his lawn that says "this is a PvP lawn, noob, gtfo lol". ~Fenixdown

Quote Originally Posted by jpwkeeper
    Sigh. This is why I hate people like you. You can't actually comprehend what you are reading.

Re-read the post to understand why I'm laughing at you.
    All the OP of this thread states is that we should suck up to new tanks, you telling all dps how to do their jobs and pretending like it is never any fault of the tanks just the dps and sometimes the healer. I help new tanks now and then and complimenting them is NOT the way to get them to do better. The method is called CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Tell him what he is doing wrong and how he can improve if he listens good if he doesn't oh well. The way the OP is set up says to me that you think that it is only ever the dps at fault and that tanks making mistakes is ok because they are outnumbered and that the dps should never be unhappy with a tank even if he was undergeared and decided to pull have the instance. I have never got mad at a tank in an instance no matter how shitty he was even the guy who was wearing cloth items and a healing mace. All i am saying is stop acting like the dps are all idiot assholes and the tanks are so perfect because they rolled a tank because that is being arrogant. And i am sorry that my first post on this thread might have made me seem a bit rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputine
    Second, the Draenei used a dimensional ship powered by the holy snowflakes, which utilizes a plot-hole drive engine.

I have a decent tank set on my druid and DK, yet I stopped queuing as a tank because I found I wasn't enjoying it anymore. There is nothing more annoying than classes with knockback sending packs of mobs flying - typhoon, thundershock, blastwave. It perplexes me that dps often can't follow a simple kill order, and seemingly try solo anything that 'isn't' the skull, or blow their cooldowns while I'm still rounding out mobs.

I now either heal or dps, and tip my hats to the tanks who have the patience to put up with the crap I mentioned.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

When i tank I just chain pull non stop skipping as many bosses as I can to hurry up and get out of the instance as fast as possible. The only reason i quit tanking so much or even playing my pally so much is that Tanking is losing its fun...getting to easy, that and shad priest are just as much fun.

Now when I'm in a Heroic and I see a healer doing something wrong or a tank doing something wrong (given I have experience in the class and spec they are using) I will give out my advice. I remember that i used to know absolute shit about the game and had to be taught by many other players so I try to do the same thing today, but it seems everyone has the attitude "I'm level 80 and got epics so i must know what i'm doing" and will then ninja gear, yell, or kick me from group (all have happened). I'm at the point of not talking and hoping that everyone else knows what they are doing so I can get it done and over with. T

Thinking of this. I found that because of the asshole (though I generally ignore then unless i'm really not in the moood for their shit) I don't really enjoy Heroics anymore. Unless its ToC im pissed because the others are too long and i just want out of them, but i still want my 2 frostys. kinda moving off topic so i'll try and get back on

You don't have to suck up to the tank, but you dont have to flame the tank either. Same goes for dps or heal. Blizzard has made WoW very alt friendly and may players are getting more and more alts faster then ever. So don't expect to group with someone that has as much experience as you when it comes to a class or even a job. Let them learn and things will be fine. If all else fails. Kick the crappy people or leave yourself.

The End
    "We are not tools of the goverment or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I fought for what I believed in." -Gray Fox-

To those who think the whole idea arround heroics was 15 minutes of whining @ tanks / healers not doing their job fast / good enough:

The Burning Crusade heroic dungeons
    /threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos
    I have a decent tank set on my druid and DK, yet I stopped queuing as a tank because I found I wasn't enjoying it anymore. There is nothing more annoying than classes with knockback sending packs of mobs flying - typhoon, thundershock, blastwave. It perplexes me that dps often can't follow a simple kill order, and seemingly try solo anything that 'isn't' the skull, or blow their cooldowns while I'm still rounding out mobs.

I now either heal or dps, and tip my hats to the tanks who have the patience to put up with the crap I mentioned.
    I agree with the knockback thing it is really really really annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputine
    Second, the Draenei used a dimensional ship powered by the holy snowflakes, which utilizes a plot-hole drive engine.

It's a lot simpler than the op makes it look. Hybrids: stop refusing to do heroics as anything other than dps.
    That's what this is about; how to get hybrids to gear up for tanking and then actually tank.

For those of you who keep saying I think tanks should be sucked up to, you're wrong. Not being abusive is not the same as sucking up to someone. Saying "thanks for the run tank" is not sucking up to someone, but it MAY encourage them to do it again.

Yes, there are idiots who tank and who are abusive. I'm not addressing them because this is not about abuse, it's about the effects of tank abuse on queue times.

Tanks are NOT inherently deserving of praise or special treatment. But by throwing them an encouraging word here and there you lower YOUR queue times. I'm not saying do this because it's morally right, I'm saying do this because you're helping yourself. If you're too stuck on your right to be abusive to other people, then I guess you're just not part of your own solution.

For the complete and total morons who actually can't read what isn't spelled out for them, I'm not a tank. I'm a DPS who wants lower queue times. I'm also a healer who has never, ever, dropped group because of a tank even when that tank has gotten me killed a few times. Lately even my healer is starting to see queue times approaching 5 minutes (not always though), so it must be bad.

I think I'm the clever person here. I usually don't say anything in groups at all. If it's a good group, everyone goes in and do their job well, the heroic gets done and all is well.

If someone keeps making mistakes, I leave. My queues as DPS are around 10 minutes, often a little less then that. It won't kill me to wait 10 minutes.

It's just a game. I'm not here to make it better for anyone else.

I see people take a swipe at all three roles for not doing good enough. But tanks are the only one's to actually demand being treated better, as it seems from this thread that they are a special breed and should be pampered and specially encouraged.
    The abuse is equal for all roles as far as my experience goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    It's a lot simpler than the op makes it look. Hybrids: stop refusing to do heroics as anything other than dps.
    I'll stop refusing to join as dps when you will start paying for my account. If i play a class that can tank/dps or heal/dps i play it as I WANT and not as you tell me to. If i play 1 of these classes you tell me that I should tank and only tank? Well then i say that I'll dps and ONLY dps. Deal with it. As long as there are douche-bags like you i prefer the longer queue that to have to deal with all of your bitching. And if you can do a dungeon with 5 dps then what are doing in LFD? Get together your other 4 l33t dps friends and go farm heroics.

To the OP:

Your post said nothing about shortening the queue for DPS, as advertised by the title of this thread. You simply said how to shorten a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jathro
    To the OP: Your post said nothing about shortening the queue for DPS, as advertised by the title of this thread. You simply said how to shorten a run.
    I think his point was that more tanks would improve the tank:dps ratio and speed-up wait times.

Quote Originally Posted by jpwkeeper
    DPS, are you tired of endless queue times? Would you like to be able to actually complete a heroic in less than 40 minutes a pop (queue time plus run time)?

I have the solution, and it's not something Blizzard needs to fix. It's something YOU can do.

First, read this:

http://toomanyannas.com/warrior/tanking-perceptions/

Then the next time you queue up for a random, do the following:

1. Do NOT comment on the tank's gear or drop group before you start due to the tank's gear.
    2. If you are a hunter or rogue, MD/Tricks every....single....pull, but only after the tank has pulled.
    3. If you wipe, suck it up. You'll make more money on the run than you will lose to repairs.
    4. If the tank sucks, but they're working it and trying to learn, keep your yap shut.
    5. At the end of the run, make sure that you throw the tank a compliment, especially if they're obviously a bit green.
    6. If one of your fellow DPS or healers makes a rude comment, YOU tell them to STFU, don't wait for the tank to do it.
    7. Unless it's excessively slow, never try to rush the tank, and if it is excessively slow, do it in a positive fashion ("Mate, you've got a strong healer and strong DPS behind you. Roll on." not an exact quote I heard from a DPS once, but it was close and the tank's pulling speed went up around 20% after that).

If you do these things, you are sewing a crop of tanks that are going to grow into chain-pulling monsters that recognize the joys of instant queues in about 2-3 weeks time. In addition, you are also keeping the raid-geared tanks from being so irritated at you that they stop queueing as a tank in LFG (and yes, I know 3 ICC-25 raiding tanks that refuse to queue as a tank and would rather wait the 15-20 minutes as DPS to not have to deal with the jerks, and these are very skilled and well geared tanks and even THEY get abused).

Every single tank you add to this mix is going to shorten your queue time and shorten your overall run times in the long run. Just keep your eye on the prize. I'm convinced that if enough DPS do this, DPS queue time could drop to as low as 8 minutes (down from 20+ on some battlegroups).

If you are a healer: Suck it up brother. Healing the tank is supposed to be work. We have a nasty tendency to get lazy during heroics; fight this tendency until you know if your tank is going to need extra attention. We should consider it a PRIVILEGE to help a noob tank through the process of learning. It may not help you now since our queue times are fairly low (no more than 5 minutes at most), but when your DPS alt needs to run heroics, you'll reap the benefit then.

You elitist jerkoffs have no idea that you're cutting your own nose off to spite your face. Instead just pop the zit; it'll hurt a bit, but in the end it'll be better all around.
    QFT

Tanks need to learn too.

Pissing tanks off and ragging on them is one sure fire way of keeping the numbers down and queue times up.

Quote Originally Posted by geonexus
    Sigh. This is why i hate people like you. BEING A TANK DOESN'T MAKE YOU GOD OK? Go act like a pampered little princess on someone elses time not on the time of the people waiting 1-30 minutes for a queue so to hear you bragging about how everyone should be grateful that you are a tank and that they aren't. I tank on my dk and paladin and i don't act like a sniveling brat who wants people to suck up to him cause he learned how to push a few buttons and rolled the right class. Being a tank is NOT hard when it comes to heroics and saying people bitch you out cause you are a tank is really just you crying that you think everyone should treat you better than others. I have never once acted like i was the god of the group and that the lesser beings known as the dps should bow before my awesomeness because i get 30 second queues on my paladin/dk.

Bottom line is STOP ACTING LIKE YOU ARE SPECIAL BECAUSE YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT.
    dude i so AM special. i can't be crit...ever. plus i can absorb the dps of aoe packs beating on me.
    the healer is special. they can do this nifty thing where they wiggle their fingers and keep people alive.

dps is fun, but they are the ones carried in 5mans. a tank/healer team can do just about every instance. if they are geared enough they could probably even do the high end ones like HoR

plus if you abuse me. i can drop group and be back tanking a new random before i have the time to make a sammich. you cannot. guess which one of us is getting preferential treatment?

now personally. i want a return to TBC/Vanilla instances where dps DO have a more important role. i want to see that. i like it when dps is indispensable because tanks don't do zomgwtfbbq dps and healing/tanking isn't so OP that you can aoe roll through everything you see. the return of the era of CC and offtanks for heroics will make dps see much shorter q times.

you got a fury warrior? no problem man, you can OT on this blaggard of a pull. warlock in the group, dude you can seduce all UP in this place, just make sure not to dps the mage's sheep.

when this happens DPS will be useful again on more than raids, and consequently will see shorter periods of downtime. until then, you better thank your lucky stars that the tanks and healers are still signing up for randoms at all and not just rolling their guilds and personal friends.

it's not fair, but it is true
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Jathro
    To the OP:

Your post said nothing about shortening the queue for DPS, as advertised by the title of this thread. You simply said how to shorten a run.
    DPS queues times are almost entirely due to shortages of tanks for various reasons. Even healers get queue times sometimes, so they are obviously not the problem.

This is one way to get more tanks in the queue, which in turn shortens the queue times for the DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Core
    I think I'm the clever person here. I usually don't say anything in groups at all. If it's a good group, everyone goes in and do their job well, the heroic gets done and all is well.

If someone keeps making mistakes, I leave. My queues as DPS are around 10 minutes, often a little less then that. It won't kill me to wait 10 minutes.

It's just a game. I'm not here to make it better for anyone else.

I see people take a swipe at all three roles for not doing good enough. But tanks are the only one's to actually demand being treated better, as it seems from this thread that they are a special breed and should be pampered and specially encouraged.
    The abuse is equal for all roles as far as my experience goes.
    Tanks aren't demanding to be treated better.

However, if someone tries to tank, they are putting themselves into a high stress role (and do not even begin to argue that DPS is anywhere near as stressful) AND getting abused for it. Why on earth would you do that?

The only time I've seen a DPS abused is if they are doing 3 digits instead of 4, and the run was going OK so we told the person (who was a tank, honestly) to STFU.

If you're OK with your queue times, by all means keep being a douche bag. It is your right. I'm not OK with my queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    This

Even if your MS is DPS isnt not hard to heal heroics and its even easier to obtain OS gear suitable for such a task. Just make your life and everyone elses life easier by doing so

Quote Originally Posted by wellhellothere

What happened to the testicles?
    Not enough testicle talk.

I never complain about a tank. I'm a gear enough healer to deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

I don't see the correlation. DPS helping tanks speed through heroics doesn't put more tanks into the mix. Only people rolling tank-capable classes will do that. Speeding through a heroic faster just means those tanks are getting done quickly and probably doing something else other than queueing for another.

The trouble is this: You, as generic hunter, rogue, mage, or warlock, telling a feral druid who likes to be kitty, a death knight who likes to do unholy dps, or a paladin who likes to be ret to "Man up and start tanking some instances" is like demanding buffs from people in a battleground.

Yeah, I guess it would be nice if the DK or Feral or Paladin tanked for you, but they're under no obligation to do so. In fact, they probably like playing their class just fine.

Even if you convinced 500 hybrids to do this, you wouldn't notice queue times improve at all, simply because of how many MORE dps there are out there than tanks. Yeah, there's a ratio of 3 dps to 1 tank in instances, but the reason queues are slow is because the actual queue is more like *50* dps to 1 tank queuing.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

<- Warrior tank since TBC launch
    For me its not the flaming and the flaming and the abuse and the flaming that makes me groan every time I click queue as tank. It's the passive-aggressive douchbaggery of many (read: not all, don't get all butthurt now) DPS classes. I don't care if a rogue is screaming GOGOGO or if a mage is crying MB after every pull. It's the things like typhoon and thunderstorm on well positioned packs nowhere near the caster. It's the hunter screaming HELP TANK TAUNT FFS while a mob is eating their face, instead of oh I don't know, feign death? MD? Even a well aimed disengage in my direction? It's the dps pulling 500 dps on trash and 6k on bosses. Cause trash doesn't matter right? Cause its not going to make our run any faster if you actually help kill the skeletons standing between us and the next big baddy.

Small things that just make the whole seem less enjoyable.

It's the presumption that I as a tank can not make a single mistake and watch the dps /follow their way through the instance instead of doing their best to make it easy on me and the rest of the group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavemaker
    You talk of me as if I am a bad person yet there are rapists, burgers, murderers and various kinds of evil out there, but from the sound of it, I am the worst of the worst because I would take a virtual item in an online Video Game.