10+ Year Old Account

Questions for when I hit 80

Hello everyone,

I have a Priest and will likely be hitting 80 in a few days. That said, I have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me, so as to prevent me from wasting time and money.

First, I've been healing dungeons as Disc since level 40, so I know how to play the spec relatively well. That said, is Disc viable for 5 mans? I don't intend to raid anytime in the near future, as I would like to work on my skills and gear up. Or, is Holy better suited for 5 mans? Does it really matter?

Second, would it be advisable to do away my Shadow DPS o/s? I'm considering either a PvP Disc/PvE Holy setup, or a PvE Disc/PvE Holy setup. Is PvP Holy even viable? I really don't enjoy Shadow but, am wondering if I would really get any use from having two healing specs, given both PvE and PvP capabilities.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on these issues, as well as some advice in general. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

'What other people think of me is none of my business" - RuPaul

Re: Questions for when I hit 80

i would go holy. i tried disc but disc is really ineffective til u have some descent gear. with quests blues/greens ull have shields that will absorb 2 k at most

15+ Year Old Account

Healing spec doesn't really matter in 5 mans, though it might be tough to keep everybody up with as disc with such low mana and spell power. Truthfully, I would go holy until you start to get a few epics. Of course it really depends on how geared everybody else is.

Holy pvp is not viable. Disc is far far far. I would only get rid of shadow if you don't like to deeps and just want to heal. If you want to pve and pvp, I would get a pve holy and pvp disc spec till you get a few epics, then get a disc pve and disc pvp spec. If you don't want to pvp, then pve disc and pve holy works fine too. Each spec is better on certain fights, so having both is always nice.

I've played a priest many years now so I hope I can offer some help.

If you are used to healing as Disc, and enjoy it, it is perfectly fine for 5 mans. Holy would work just as well too. It really comes down to which you enjoy more. As far as PvP goes you really only have 2 options, Disc or Shadow. And if you don't like shadow then you are pretty much stuck as Disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidur
    Hello everyone,

I have a Priest and will likely be hitting 80 in a few days. That said, I have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me, so as to prevent me from wasting time and money.

First, I've been healing dungeons as Disc since level 40, so I know how to play the spec relatively well. That said, is Disc viable for 5 mans? I don't intend to raid anytime in the near future, as I would like to work on my skills and gear up. Or, is Holy better suited for 5 mans? Does it really matter?

Second, would it be advisable to do away my Shadow DPS o/s? I'm considering either a PvP Disc/PvE Holy setup, or a PvE Disc/PvE Holy setup. Is PvP Holy even viable? I really don't enjoy Shadow but, am wondering if I would really get any use from having two healing specs, given both PvE and PvP capabilities.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on these issues, as well as some advice in general. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Disc is alot of preemptive striking at80. If you know where and when the dmg will come it's godly. But if you wait till you whole party is at 50% hp then it's gonna get tougher to top em up.

Imo it comes down to playstyle preference. Myself i did prefer dischealing since i know the 5mans and when and where people take dmg. If your not used to healing i would say go holy. Your healing is gonna be awesome and you'll have no problem keeping a 5mangroup up even in blue gear.

Good luck out there and tell us how it went.

I had no problem starting, and doing, fivemans as disc, even at relatively low gear level -your shields are fine, and penance is great. Tbh, keeping the tank alive in totc was the hardest I ran into when starting out, and I don't think being holy would have helped any on that.

Though not as strong, it's quite possible to do pvp with a pve disc build, while a pve holy build will probably involve spending a lot of time dead. But if you REALLY don't like shadow there's not much point in keeping it -might as well get yourself a pvp disc build if you want to pvp. Of course, then it might be fun to try out holy pve for a bit of variation

Long answer short: there's no problem starting, and doing, fiveman heroics as disc, if you are comfortable with the spec.
    Holy is NOT where to go for pvp.

I've been healing as Disc since Jan 2009 and regardless if what content you are on, disc is absolutely amazing (of course, considering level/gear appropriate content). you could walk into ALL 200ilvl 5man/heroics with quest blues / leveling greens and as long as people are not retarded, still complete the instance without a hitch (you only will need to spend more time drinking than if better geared).

I personally can't imagine healing with any other class/spec but just choose to do what you most enjoy (within the parameters of viability). And yes, Disc IS perfectly viable (even OP at times) in a PvE healing environment.

Disclaimer: if ur a meter whore / like to know ur relative worth wrt to healing meters make sure you install Skada instead of Recount and only look at "Absorbs + Healing" as Disc (as opposed to other healers) is primarily about Absorbing (or preventing) damage, rather than healing it.

Also, focus on INT/CRIT/MP5 over spirit always (spellpower will come automagically) and haste with come at higher gear levels. Spirit is obsolete wrt MP5 (don't avoid gear with it, but keep in mind that it has the least impact of all your other stats).

In a raiding environment, having a PvE Disc/PvE Holy set up is great - there are just some fights that cater more to one or the other and being capable of using both specs proficiently is great. You did say that you don't plan on raiding in the near future, so that may not be a consideration.

Also, don't be shy of having a PvE Disc/PvP Disc set up. It allows you to have the proper glyphs and talents for both and if disc is what you like, go for it.