How to Bring up Gearing/Spec Advice

Heya. I'm one of our guilds raid leaders, and I'm trying how to figure out how to give advice on gemming/spec/gearing of our Guild Leader. He's an ele shammy, and, honestly, he needs allot of work. He isn't a bad player, but when it comes to gear, he just sort of slaps on what he sees. He's using Healer Tier stuff over the ele tier stuff in a few slots, using PvP gear, gemming for the wrong things, etc.

I'm looking for a few pieces of advice both to how to broach the subject and give him advice without him feeling affronted, embarassed, etc, (and hopefully not pissed off about a lower rank than him giving him advice) but also a few things to tell him.

I've never had a shammy before, but I can look up cookie cutter specs fairly easily, and I can infer from my mage that he's probably wan't to gem straight SP stopping only when the socket bonus is more than +6 SP or more, and to fill out his meta requirement (a caster is a caster for the most part, and while I'm guessing gemming spirit/sp won't be good for him as with a mage, I'd suppose purple would be SP/Stam, and Orange SP/Haste). I know there is a general lack of specifically Elemental gear, so should he be picking up healer gear?

Also, as to stat priorities, im guessing it goes something like (correct me if I'm wrong):
    1.SP
    2.Haste
    3.Crit

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How to Bring up Gearing/Spec Advice

link your GL to elitistjerks ele shammy thread
    give him 2mins to read it
    ???????
    profit