Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The REAL TANKING issue

Everyone is crying this tank class is too week or too strong. This is not the issue. The issue is for heroics and 10 mans tank ratio is 1 per healer per 3 dps. in 25 mans its 2 or 1 depending on boss per 5-6 healers and 18-20 dps. if your guild is running 2 ten mans, then TWO OF THOSE TANKS CAN'T GET IN AND PEEPS THAT ARE DPS OR HEALERS THAT ARE NOT IN THE 2 GROUPS ARE NEEDED. So what do you tell the tanks that can't come into 25s. All kinds of trash and you make some up. I know you guys are going to say that they can duel spec or run diff chars, but this doesn't fix the prob. Does anyone notice a tank shortage hmm why make a tank so you can be told you cant get gear cause only 2 peeps count. I've seen guild leaders say one week that kind of tank is not right and next week when his buddy is on its now the best. QUIT GETTING TANKS NERFED SO NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY THEM. I belive the fix is make it so more tanks are needed in 25s

Re: The REAL TANKING issue

I agree that 25 mans should have more than 2 tanks, but with the variety of fights out that might not be viable. As for the nerfs any kind of nerf or buff is good imo it means blizzard is working to rebalance the game instead of leaving some classes better/worse off than others.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by AXXER
    So what do you tell the tanks that can't come into 25s.
    You tell them to switch to their off spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

my guild has 5 really good tanks, myself included. All of us have a dps off spec. We just switch to it depending on the fight, or we swap out for a "real" dps on some fights.

Sure it sucks sometimes, but do you really want a raid where you have to have 5 - 6 tanks? (as there is 5 - 6 healers )

Its a bitch to find just those 2 tanks if you pug stuff. Why would you make raids req more?
    I assume its to urge more ppl to roll a tank, but I doubt that will work.

There are so few tanks b.c of problems that we already know:

- tanks and healers get blamed for wipes in pugs 90% of the time.
    - tanking requires more effort (imo at least)
    - tanking is a thankless job, as are all roles but tanks are generally the person who has to pay attention the most. Dont say "so do dps / heals" b/c I have fallen asleep while healing and gone afk as dps and still do fine.
    - ppl like to see big numbers (lol)

Lets bring back the lvl 60 verion of the four horsemen were you needed 8 awsome geared tanks..... or wait.

Seriously, just tell them to switch to an offspec and they will get the tanking drops before long anyway. If the same 2 tanks show up each time as the MTs of the 25m it's not gonna be very long before they get whatever pieces they need. Just give the 10m tanks secondary priority on tank gear over the full time plate dps, they can even spend their sanctified tokens on tank gear too and get upgrades that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    You tell them to switch to their off spec.
    This.

The reason Blizzard is making encounters that only need 1-3 tanks is because "tanks" can switch to their off specs and still go.

Yes, it would be nice to see some encounters where you need more then just a few tanks, considering how many tanking classes are out there. Maybe we'll see some things like Majordomo again come Cata.

I would hate to have more tanks. I rarely even get gear let alone see tank gear dropping, it would suck to have to roll / compete with even more people let alone the fact you maybe see a drop every couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanked
    There are so few tanks b.c of problems that we already know:

- tanking requires more effort (imo at least)
    - tanking is a thankless job, as are all roles but tanks are generally the person who has to pay attention the most. Dont say "so do dps / heals" b/c I have fallen asleep while healing and gone afk as dps and still do fine.
    I have an alt tank myself, and i play a Shadow Priest with holy offspec so i can actually say i do every single job in this game, the most "effortless" thing to do is tanking by far.
    There's almost nothing to do in every bossfight except maybe running when the boss does 1 skill (and not even in every bossfight), the rest of the time you just have to stand there, spam your tps skills randomly, the rest of the job will be done by healers keeping you and the party alive while dodging the boss skills, and by the dps, who will redirect the threat to you (see rogues/hunters) + maximizing their damage + dodging boss skills.
    Since threat is no more an issue (at least if you can play barely decently), i don't see how a tank can require more effort, the only 2 fights where a tank "may" have some troubles are tanking keleseth on blood princes council (wich i do as SP, so you don't really need a tank) and kiting oozes on rotface (wich every ranged dps or even melee with ranged attacks can do if they have a lil of brain).

The real tanking issue is actually the fact that you really need a low amount of them to run a raid (wich is why there are dualspecs in the game), and the fact that they are boring as hell since you almost have nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GAfo
    Try tanking stuff like Dreamwalker, bit of a difference to tanking Saurfang for example.

Edit: shortened quote. --Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by GAfo
    This is so much bullcrap. So many of the fights in ICC require extremely intense coordination between multiple tanks taunting at specific times and juggling each other's cooldowns in order to stay alive.

Edit: shortened quote. --Sunshine

As a tank I have to agree with the OP I want to play as a tank and im fortunate for the most part that in my guild I get to stay tank throughout ICC 25 and 10 heroic, the problem with switching to duel spec is not until every other melee dps is geared up significantly will my gear be at the point where im not holding back by just taking a proper dps' spot. a fight like heroic BQL which require every ounce of dps but only requires 2 tanks is one of the many fights that i'd feel bad for dpsing.

My guild has 4 total tanks, Warrior MT, Pally MT, Dk OT, Druid Ot. The Dk and Druid both have 10K+ dps sets, and use them very regularlly. The Warrior and Pally both have 7-8k dps sets that rot in their bags. For 3 tank fights the dk or druid flip a coin to see who "has to tank".
    Tanking isn't thankless, and it's very rewarding but you can get the same fealing of accomplishment by being an OT who provides compitent dps or tanking on the fly.

PS-
    Both OT's have stepped up and MT'd 25 ICC for shits and giggles.

Sig Courtesy of Yoni

Quote Originally Posted by coolaide2
    As a tank I have to agree with the OP I want to play as a tank and im fortunate for the most part that in my guild I get to stay tank throughout ICC 25 and 10 heroic, the problem with switching to duel spec is not until every other melee dps is geared up significantly will my gear be at the point where im not holding back by just taking a proper dps' spot. a fight like heroic BQL which require every ounce of dps but only requires 2 tanks is one of the many fights that i'd feel bad for dpsing.
    You should have more then enough frost badges to gear your offset if your doing hardmodes... no excuses for poor dps.

Sig Courtesy of Yoni

Quote Originally Posted by Druchii
    Try tanking stuff like Dreamwalker, bit of a difference to tanking Saurfang for example.
    Valithria is piss easy to tank.

I'm the third tank in the guild so I have to switch offspec DPS during most fights. I'm not complaining

Personally I'd love to see more fights which require 3-4 tanks, but where the tanks have to each perform a different role rather than simply 1 guy MTs and the other 1/2 tanks stand there to taunt when needed/take saberlash damage.

Unfortunately it just won't happen because blizzard want to make a 10man raid out of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Gankenstein
    Valithria is piss easy to tank.

I'm the third tank in the guild so I have to switch offspec DPS during most fights. I'm not complaining
    Different ≠ hard

I do agree scaling is wrong

Heroics
    Tanks: 1
    Healers: 1
    DPS: 3

10 man
    Tanks: 2
    Healers: 3
    DPS 5

25 man
    Tanks: 2
    Healers: 6
    DPS: 17

To my opinion in 25 mans at least 3 tanks should be a must. Or even better 4 . This would balance loot distribution 2. Less people to roll against as dps and more change a real tank will need the tank item instead of it going away of offspecc.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Im a little confused here. At present there is a tanking shortage and the OP wants to make it so that you need more to run raids? Also when we do 25mans we go with 3 tanks and thought most people did. How come so many are saying that 25man is a 2 tank instance? I'll agree some fights are 2 tank fights but im pretty sure we use 3 on Lady Deathwhisper for sure and maybe even 3 on Morrowgar but not 100% sure on that one

15+ Year Old Account

I'm gonna have to agree with the OP, as i am in the same situation.
    My guild does 25 man icc, heroic 10 man icc and icc 10 alt runs

So they invite 3 capable tanks for icc25, their best 2 tanks for icc 10 hc, and alt tanks for the alt run.
    And guess what? I'm tank number 4. And of course, they have enough dps/healers so I'm not needed in my offspec either.
    So at the moment, I am the back-up tank, and that's a pretty boring job to be honest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The most nerfed class in WoW is <my class>. <my class> seems to get nerfed every damn patch, unlike those <other class> that get buffed and still want more!