Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Ret Paladins and Shields

One thing I never see is a Ret paladin swap on a shield during defensive times. In both PVE and PVP.

I think it would make sense if Ret Paladins swapped to a tank weapon and shield during moments such as Heroic Lord Marrowgar's Bone Storm.

And also maybe when getting focused in 3v3 by two melee classes.

As a warrior I find myself switching to my shield all the time, although ret paladins don't have the shield block or shield wall talent, the shield itself is still a huge armor boost.

Why do Ret paladins never bother to use a shield when it could prove useful?
    skott#1374 - add me to expand your b.net friends list of reliable players for raiding/arena.

Video if myself raid healing, raid dps, and raid tanking:

http://goo.gl/wNZeS5

Re: Ret Paladins and Shields

It's hard to faceroll if you break your nose on the side of your shield.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Bubble > Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Zergall
    Bubble > Shield
    Obviously but its best to try and save bubble as a last resort.
    skott#1374 - add me to expand your b.net friends list of reliable players for raiding/arena.

Video if myself raid healing, raid dps, and raid tanking:

http://goo.gl/wNZeS5

Most of the aoe raid damage taken is magic damage, and a shield would only gimp your dps.

There's not much I could think of that would make a shield necessary to use for much of a difference.

Good pvp rets use shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    Because there's no benefit in doing so? Sure, you can ShoR, but since your main abilities are based on weapon damage and there's no spell reflect or such, the 8k armor you get from switching isn't really worth it, especially since you'll rarely block with it as ret.
    This. The armor isn't really gonna save you, it's abilities like the ones Warriors have that do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grob
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    It's hard to faceroll if you break your nose on the side of your shield.
    This.

Also you are asking too much. Paladins are already having a hard time pressing 3 buttons in random order, now you are asking them to swap weapons too?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    Wow, you're sour. What's a matter? Is is because you, Mr DK, can't press 3 buttons and win anymore?
    I think this is relevant.
    When dks were op i didnt even had one.
    And it is interesting how you cry about it while being a paladin.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Grob
    Why use shield when you can 2-shot the attacker?

Quote Originally Posted by agelos
    This.

Also you are asking too much. Paladins are already having a hard time pressing 3 buttons in random order, now you are asking them to swap weapons too?

Are u fukn serious-paladins are one of the most complex/deepest classes to play as any spec. buff management/cleanses/raid dmg mitigation/Bubble saves/Salv saves/personal rotation/aura dancing/blah blah blah. U sir need to research before u make urself look stupid again!

Quote Originally Posted by elitistjerk

Are u fukn serious-paladins are one of the most complex/deepest classes to play as any spec. buff management/cleanses/raid dmg mitigation/Bubble saves/Salv saves/personal rotation/aura dancing/blah blah blah. U sir need to research before u make urself look stupid again!
    The sarcasm is strong with this one...

Quote Originally Posted by mi33
    I'm eating some Pizza Rolls, would the angry troll like some?

As stated above, the "gains" from going sword/board are negated by the massive DPS loss (PvE).
    Though, in arena, if you're being tunneled by a melee cleave (TSG for example) sword/board during their offensive CDs is always nice .

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by mi33
    lol since when?

damn troll /shoo

Quote Originally Posted by elitistjerk
    Thanks, i laughed at this way more than i think i should have, im assuming you were bein sarcastic? Oo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggity
    Tanks and healers are like women, they subsist on compliments and praise.

Ret is a DPS spec. If youre swapping out for a shield on Marrowgar, then you need to get better healz. Swapping to a shield as Ret is like having a Mage swap from Molten Armor to Cold Armor, just because youre being attacked with Frost damage. Ret=2h, no if's ands or buts

why equip a shield during bonestorm?
    the dmg is neglectable... and since marrowgars hitbox is so big its only wise to keep attacking while he swirls around, doing more dmg then when you have a shield.

it might be usefull in SOME situations, very few though.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by agelos
    When dks were op i didnt even had one.
    And it is interesting how you cry about it while being a paladin.
    Put Diseases up. Spam Blood Strike and Scourge strike. Rune dump.

YOU'RE AMAZING!
    Imagine whatever I say as being said with Morgan Freeman's voice. It will make you rage less.

It used to be pretty common place in s3 and 4 when we got the block talent from the prot tree (now its been moved down the tree). Most of us are glyphed for sanc. so we can pop that and get 20% dmg reduction. which is good. We really just don't benefit in any significant way from putting on a shield. All it is, is more armor. And what good is that anyway if the warrior blade storming you with his cow trinket proc'd is pretty much going to be raping the shit out of you regardless of how much armor you have. What good is a shield against the many variations of caster cleaves we see so much of? All in all if there is any situation to use it, the window of time where it is going to be helpful is outweighed by the global CD you waste doing it.

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.