Poll: Are giant mob pulls generally a good or bad thing in heroics?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

~ POLL ~ "Giant Pulls in Heroics" Good or Bad?

I'm a big fan on keeping it simple. It seems to me that more often than not big pulls = bad times.

I don't mind if it's myself, another guildie tank, or someone you know is a good player doing this because more often than not they know what they're doing and it'll work.
    What I don't care for, is the everyday welfare tank that just it 40k with his badge gear and thinks that equals a free pass to pull an entire instance.

Regardless, it's usually quicker anyway to make two simple small pulls rather than one giant pull. I think large pulls are usually nothing more than epeen stroking.

So, I would say overall it's a bad thing.

Re: ~ POLL ~ "Giant Pulls in Heroics" Good or Bad?

No, chain pull LOTS.
    I love giant pulls.
    The instance goes by faster and it may be a tad more challenging.
    Specially when they pull the trash all the way to the boss.
    <3

I wouldn't consider it e-peen stroking, but more possibly challenging yourself instead of being bored with simple pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Revitalize
    No, chain pull LOTS.
    I love giant pulls.
    The instance goes by faster and it may be a tad more challenging.
    Specially when they pull the trash all the way to the boss.
    <3
    and some times they pull the boss with all the trash ive had a few tanks that do this its fun

Deleted

Or start the animal bosses event on UP and then pull the skadi gauntlet without warning you.... well, thats *fun* to heal -.-

If the tank is geared enough not to get completely destroyed (by this, I don't just mean a large health pool, I mean good avoidance as well) and the heals is geared or knows what they're doing, why not? Fast runs with big pulls are fun, I don't care what anyone says. It keeps these heroics exciting now that almost everyone is overgearing them. Pulling extra adds a challenge that hasn't been there for a long time.

As a tank I do that a lot if I see that the healer is barely healing and also using cooldown to still make it easy for him.

When I am healing on my shaman I like it a bit less, but still chain casting Chainheal is more fun if it actually needed.
    Main shaman: Shaman Alt Paladin: Paladin
    Alt lvl 73 mage: Mage Alt lvl 70 Death knight: Death Knight
    Random dungeon project: Druid Battleground project: Rogue
    Worgen project: Warlock Future alt: Hunter

I voted yes, but I think it's more the fact that pulls are fast than big. 2 groups at a time is fine, but when you start pulling 3 and getting stunned/having aggro problems it ceases to be fast, and becomes problematic.

My basic guidelines are simple. What do you usually pull with? D&D, Avenger's shield, Feral Charge, or Charge?

If you use this ability every time you can on a new group of mobs, you are doing the instance just fine and just fast enough.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Depends on the trash really. If they got nasty abilities that makes it just a lot harder with bigger pulls (trash before loken).

Quote Originally Posted by krasgoth
    I voted yes, but I think it's more the fact that pulls are fast than big. 2 groups at a time is fine, but when you start pulling 3 and getting stunned/having aggro problems it ceases to be fast, and becomes problematic.

My basic guidelines are simple. What do you usually pull with? D&D, Avenger's shield, Feral Charge, or Charge?

If you use this ability every time you can on a new group of mobs, you are doing the instance just fine and just fast enough.
    Wait 30 seconds for my Avengers shield to come off CD? no thanks, that will probably double the time it takes in heroics... -.-. Just taunt the next mob, when the rest run past use HotR, mixed with SoC in heroics, i can hold agro of 10 - 15 mobs, ez mode. It's not just pulling big for pew pew AoE, its knowing how to do it, and when to pull the next set of mobs into the pack.

For instance, I will never stop pulling the whole first section of UK together at the start, nor will i stop kiting them to the dragons so i pick up the rest of the packs standing in the flame corridor. If your going OOM in a heroic with a tank as geared as me, or similar, than your going wrong somewhere.

Bawk

EDIT: Added to that, chain pulling is good, i dont want my Divine plea to wear off afterall xD. Plus it means i have a more fun time doing it, I may need to hit more than two buttons, for example. I may have to hit that CD I never use etc etc. It's.....just....entertaining. Even more so entertaining when you see the healer flap about when you do it :P.
    Retards should not be aided. They should just be pointed toward the coldest pole on which to stick their tongue.
    A Balance Druid who has balanced the Balance in his Balance Spec between Crit and Haste is a Balanced Balance Druid.
    80 Druid (exBC toon), 80 Mage (Arcane), 80 DK (lol), 80 Hunter (MM), 80 Pally(prot/ret), 61 Rogue (Ass/Subt), 80 Lock (Demo/Affli), 23 Warr (Prot/fury hybrid).
    Pally - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&cn=Nikoli.
    Hunter - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&cn=Grubba

Pull as much as the tank and healer can handle. cant the healer handle 3 packs dont do it cant the tank take 3 packs dont force him.

Else go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bawkbawkboom
    Wait 30 seconds for my Avengers shield to come off CD? no thanks, that will probably double the time it takes in heroics... -.-. Just taunt the next mob, when the rest run past use HotR, mixed with SoC in heroics, i can hold agro of 10 - 15 mobs, ez mode. It's not just pulling big for pew pew AoE, its knowing how to do it, and when to pull the next set of mobs into the pack.

For instance, I will never stop pulling the whole first section of UK together at the start, nor will i stop kiting them to the dragons so i pick up the rest of the packs standing in the flame corridor. If your going OOM in a heroic with a tank as geared as me, or similar, than your going wrong somewhere.

Bawk
    Why would you aggro over 10 mobs with the aoe cap at 10? You're slowing down your own instances :P

You'll get stunned before you pull the entire first room of UK, but I know what you mean. Again, what I said is a good guideline to people tanking at the rate they should go. Yes, people who are geared can run in, avenger's shield, keep running, hammer the runner, taunt another pack and run to another pack, facepull that one while using wrath to stun them and then round them all back up, but a NORMAL tank can follow what I said and be a-ok.

I am all for it if your heroic is UK, and every person there is in ICC10+ gear.

If you gear check the group and the tank just dinged 80. and your healer as about at the same place, then you take it slow

Quote Originally Posted by krasgoth
    Why would you aggro over 10 mobs with the aoe cap at 10? You're slowing down your own instances :P

You'll get stunned before you pull the entire first room of UK, but I know what you mean. Again, what I said is a good guideline to people tanking at the rate they should go. Yes, people who are geared can run in, avenger's shield, keep running, hammer the runner, taunt another pack and run to another pack, facepull that one while using wrath to stun them and then round them all back up, but a NORMAL tank can follow what I said and be a-ok.
    ^.^.

yeh the stuns dont get a chance to hit that often tbh...that said, they ahrdly ever come.
    Retards should not be aided. They should just be pointed toward the coldest pole on which to stick their tongue.
    A Balance Druid who has balanced the Balance in his Balance Spec between Crit and Haste is a Balanced Balance Druid.
    80 Druid (exBC toon), 80 Mage (Arcane), 80 DK (lol), 80 Hunter (MM), 80 Pally(prot/ret), 61 Rogue (Ass/Subt), 80 Lock (Demo/Affli), 23 Warr (Prot/fury hybrid).

Pull the instance in 1 swoop if you want. I just wish people could stop for half a second and loot.

And no, not just on my skinning toon. You're essentially leaving money on the ground when you don't loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannthos
    I am all for it if your heroic is UK, and every person there is in ICC10+ gear.

If you gear check the group and the tank just dinged 80. and your healer as about at the same place, then you take it slow
    Due to the nature of random heroics, You will rarely see a crap tank put with a crap healer. Honestly. Gear based, obviously.
    Also, i just used UK for an example, I do similar without any problems, in most other instances, even the trash in PoS i chain pull. cept for some of it, ofc :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Jathro
    Pull the instance in 1 swoop if you want. I just wish people could stop for half a second and loot.

And no, not just on my skinning toon. You're essentially leaving money on the ground when you don't loot.
    If there is loot on the floor, the dps can pick it up. If its tied to me or the healer, oh well its only 39s between us -.-.

Good, just give me the heads up as a healer. If the dungeon isn't from ICC or ToC (not even that with a geared tank) then I don't respec out of elemental to heal. Yesterday I got UK for the daily heroic and the tank pulled to the first forge group. Totally could have handled it if I was ready.

So, awesome. Fast instance runs! Go for it, but warn me.
    Is this where the header goes?

As a guideline, I try to pull as fast as my healer can keep up. If I'm pulling mobs and my healer is falling behind, I'll slow down.

Pet peeve: People stopping to loot EVERY SINGLE MOB. Even worse is skinners. Because I'm going to stop tanking to search through a pile of 20 bodies for some grey crap which I have to destroy something in my inventory for, so you can skin a mob for materials you're not even going to use?

Even if the game automatically made the skins into something useful, sold them instantly on the auction house and divided the profit between all 5 party members, I still wouldn't care about your damn skinning :P

It depends on the instance, but I usually find chain pulling to be faster than pulling multiple groups. Pulling multiple groups just results in the dps having to wait till you've finally set yourself to tank and can establish threat before they can unload. A good chain pulling tank can have practically no downtime for the dps. The pace of the instance is determined how fast mobs die, not how fast they're pulled. I don't really see how forcing the group to wait while the tank rounds up multiple packs and gets threat on all mobs is the ideal way to accomplish this.

Chain pulling > big pulls > pull/stop

Edit: Spelling/grammar