Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Halls of Reflection H and Holy Priest

Hey guys

I feel a real noob doing this thread but I'm having a bit of trouble healing HoR H. My GS is 5100. I have healed it before but always with a wipe or two.

I could be a real noob I don't know but I been healing since Pre-bc. I make sure prayer of mending is always up. Renew everyone, Fade when it's up. But we always wipe. All randoms.

Most times we do the los trick. I don't know I really hate it. I would prefer to just CC in the open. shacke undead etc etc.

Anyway any little hints would be appreciated kinda getting embarressing.

What is the correct kill order for the first 10 waves?

Re: Halls of Reflection H and Holy Priest

Halls of Reflection is the Magister's Terrace of Wrath. It's not a steam roll, even in the upper echelon of gear. And when you have bad players, nothing will fix that.

First off, I want to berate you for this key point:
    My GS is 5100.
    Really. No one gives a flying fuck what your gear score is. If you're having trouble healing, chances are you should look outside of your item level.

And yes, you would prefer CC. I do too! But seeing as most people don't, you trying to pull it off will only end up with you dead. Convincing people that they need to put in more work than they're willing to at the moment is something reserved for the Bard Class. The Priest may sing some hymns, but they aren't quite at that level of Inspiration just yet.

You're good to keep Mending/Renew up (though tossing it on "everyone" is a bit of a waste). Using Fade on cooldown is pointless, because it's onlya temporary drop. 10 seconds later, all the threat you dumped comes steamrolling back.

Kill order is Priest first, doesn't matter for anything else (but Hunter usually follows).
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Hi there,

I usually find that if the rogues get killed quickly = win. Their stun is terrible. I would also say, have some Mp5 food in your bag and eat that if you are doing HoR, as holy you will be pressed to keep mana for the whole amount of waves in there, as you dont have time to Shadowfiend or hymn of Hope for any decent length of time until the boss.

Hope this helps

What makes you wipe?

You die?
    Tank dies?
    Dps dies?

What is bothering me as a tank is when healer got a hot on me that will tick before I got proper aggro on them. Then the healer stand in the wrong place and mobs go for him instead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    >snip< (but Hunter usually follows).
    Funny, the hunter is usually done last in our HoR runs... :P It's usually Priest -> Mercenary -> Mage -> Soldier/Hunter

This is why: Priest heals and stuns (very bad), Mercenary stuns and hits very hard (very bad), Mage casts Flamestrike and non-mitigable damage (quite bad), Soldier does mediocre damage and shield bashes (no prob if the healer is out of melee range), Hunter does minor damage, curses (only bad when there's a Mage around) and casts frost trap (annoying, but bearable)

When I'm healing on my priest, I usually shackle either the Mage or the Hunter somewhere where they won't be hit, it works quite well actually if the tank knows you're doing it. Doesn't work if you shackle something only to have the tank charge it. :P In most cases, trying to shackle a melee mob fails because in the time it takes to cast Shackle, they're already in range of Thunder Clap/Swipe/etc.

What makes the waves hard is controlling the ranged mobs when there are two of them active. If it's only the mage or the hunter, the tank shouldn't have much trouble tanking them - he just pulls all melees to the one ranged and tanks them there. If both the mage and the hunter are active, try to take one of them out (Shackle, Pala-CC), preferably the hunter as his frost traps and curse are a major pain for the healer.

Concerning the LoS trick: I often see the tank standing in the corner (out of sight) along with the DPS and healers - very bad idea. In many cases, the mobs coming 'round the corner will arrive between Consec/DnD ticks, Swipes, etc. and one or two shot their target before the tank can pick them up. Ideally, only the healer and DPS should hide in the corner, while the tank picks up the mobs as they come. He can LoS the ranged mobs, but usually they'll go after the healer anyway and he can just pick them up along with the others. You only need to be in the corner when a new wave spawns, once the tank has picked up all mobs, you can move out of your corner if things get confusing/tight. This reduces the chance of being Shield Bashed or not noticing Flamestrikes. ... now that I mention it: Move out of Flamestrikes!!! They hurt the group and you want to focus on keeping the tank up. Just don't forget to go back into hiding when the last mob is about to go down. If you have a mage/boomkin in your group, ask them to decurse the tank if there's a Mage active, as the curse significantly increases magic damage taken, and if possible remove poison.

Let's look at two basic wave setups:
    Wave 1: Priest, Mercenary, 2 Soldiers, Hunter
    If he knows what he's doing, the tank should be able to grab aggro of all four melee mobs, focusing on the Merc while the DPS burn down the Priest. You do not want the Merc to hit anyone but the tank (except with his random shadowstep). The Hunter can be shackled. If not, the tank should pull all melee mobs to the Hunter and tank them there. You as a healer should keep your distance, as you don't want to be hit by the Soldiers' Shield Bash silence. Overall, quite easy to handle.

Wave 2: Priest, Mercenary, Soldier, Mage, Hunter
    Now this one is much more tricky. As always, the Priest should have priority, followed by the Merc, while the Soldier is left for last. What you should do about the Mage and Hunter depends very much on your tank's class. For example, druids have no means to force them into melee, so shackling one and tanking the other (like in Wave 1) is your best bet. Warriors on the other hand can silence the Mage with Heroic Throw and tank them along with the others, using Spell Reflect on CD cuts incoming Mage damage. Just remember, you don't have to stay in the corner all the time, just at the beginning of each wave.

And above all: make sure all DPS stick to the kill order. Pulling aggro because you're blasting the Soldier when the Priest's still around is a sure way to drain the healers mana/get the tank killed because the healer has to divide his attention.

Yes, HoR is the MgT of Wrath, but it is doable.

Ive never had a hard group in HHOR, cept for once when the tank couldnt hold threat and stupid dps attacking whatever they wanted didn't help either. Personally, I'll always shackle the hunter whether I'm told to or not. They're usually last on DPS priority so shackling them as soon as you see them, out of AOE etc will lighten the load some.

Predicting damage - the right way.

I wipe when the tank or the dps are bad. Or when I make a mistake :P

I usually CC the mage or the hunter, depending on their position. If one of them stays far to attack/cast spells, I CC him. And I do that way after the tank pulls aggro. But some retarded paladins just cast consecration and wait for them, when they could use avenger's shield or something to get aggro first.

I also wiped when some brilliant dps attacks the CC'd mob, obviously.

One thing I do too, is to drink between waves, not that I have mana issues, but I better be full mana at all times.

Yes, i tried HoR as holy many times, but it was just struggling, doing it as disc is much much smoother.... i know this wont help you, but just saying in disc favor for that place

I usually shackle the hunter, and we do the los thing.
    But really try going disc, with your shields the dps wont be taking much damage at all unless they're retards, leaving you to shackle and keep the tank up! I couldn't imagine doing it holy >.>
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Andorhal&cn=Stumbelline

The kill order I would suggest is priest-> mercenary -> mage and then your choice

Also, why are you usually wiping? Who dies first?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Cannstatt
    Priest -> Mercenary -> Mage -> Soldier/Hunter
    I usually use that order also, if we're going to use cc i would usually have the Mercenary shackled/turned by a pally. Don't worry about a wipe it happens and you can't carry an entire group through this place...it's a pain in the arse!

also make sure you dont heal before the tank has aggro or you'll become a cloth wearing punch bag (except prayer of mending, the healing aggro from that apparently will count as the tanks aggro).

Personally healing it on my disc priest is cake, unless you have a really undergeared group. I have done it both ways, middle of room or corner. Either way isn't too bad if your group can take simple instructions and your tank is a complete moron on getting and keeping aggro. The dps have lost sight that it is still there responsibility to manage their threat. Yes the tank should be able to hold threat, but the dps also have to use their brains and use the tools they are provided with. Almost every dps has a way to reduce threat. You are given it use it. If its on a boss then the tank needs to step it up, but if its on a large group of mobs. Pick the tanks target, burn it and then move on to the next target the tank acquires. Makes it much easier. The biggest trouble I see here in HOR is the tanking picking up initial aggro on the waves. If they don't use whatever they can to do that then they are failing.

You're a Priest.

You can see when the mobs are about to pull, they do the Area Channelled spell animation and glow. When they do this, stand at the entrance of the alcove (If you are pulling from there) and hit Fade. They still get the aggro reduction effect, even before they are able to be hit. They will run over to the rest of the group and not aggro you. Shackle the hunter or the ranged mob of preference (I choose the hunter since his Ice Shots are annoying).

Because you used fade, the Shackle will not give you enough threat for any of them to actually attack you. You have just lowered the damage that your group is taking by 1/4 or 1/5 depending on how many mobs are in each pull.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Just don't let a DK tank there and you will be fine ;D

i heal that one atleast once a day nowdays.... Damn healingtrinket wont drop.

For me... Its almost always easystreet with a paladin tank...... bears rock that instance to, if i get a dk or a warrior we tend to wipe.

Not that i have ANYTING against warriors, they r totally 1337 singletargettanks... but in the mess that r the fights up to boss 2 in there, they need to have wicked skill to cut it.

And dk, fucking retardridden class really.... and, atleast for my part, a bitch to heal

I have no trouble tanking it with my DK. The only thing that can catch a dk off guard is if death and decay isn't off cool down when the wave comes or if you use it early. Just death and decay, when mobs get in close blood boil to get their attention and then just use your diseases. No problem. But so many dk's are people who have never had any tanking experience until wrath. There is the main problem. Warr's can tank multiple targets if they can use their tab button. It is more work but can be done. Thunderclap and shockwave as a opener and just tab away.

15+ Year Old Account

When I heal it on my priest (holy) I make sure my hots are off players before the next wave.
    I fade at the beginning of each wave.
    I shield myself
    I wait as long as possible to start healing at the beginning of a wave
    All about aggro

When I take it on my pally I'm constantly Righteous Defense spamming our healer :P
    If only they knew

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Halls of Reflection is the Magister's Terrace of Wrath. It's not a steam roll, even in the upper echelon of gear. And when you have bad players, nothing will fix that.

First off, I want to berate you for this key point:Really. No one gives a flying fuck what your gear score is. If you're having trouble healing, chances are you should look outside of your item level.

And yes, you would prefer CC. I do too! But seeing as most people don't, you trying to pull it off will only end up with you dead. Convincing people that they need to put in more work than they're willing to at the moment is something reserved for the Bard Class. The Priest may sing some hymns, but they aren't quite at that level of Inspiration just yet.

You're good to keep Mending/Renew up (though tossing it on "everyone" is a bit of a waste). Using Fade on cooldown is pointless, because it's onlya temporary drop. 10 seconds later, all the threat you dumped comes steamrolling back.

Kill order is Priest first, doesn't matter for anything else (but Hunter usually follows).

Wow, I just have to say that was kinda harsh for a moderator post. If someone is asking for help their current gear level is fairly important to make sure they arn't having trouble for good reason.. In this case the OP is overgeared for the run so we know to look elsewhere. Admittedly an armory link would be better but he wasn't asking about his gear choices so a GS score does no harm in getting a better picture of why he might be having trouble.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

And no, I'm not a GS fanatic I just think it has its uses when used properly and doesn't deserve that level of response. Especially from a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreies

Wow, I just have to say that was kinda harsh for a moderator post. If someone is asking for help their current gear level is fairly important to make sure they arn't having trouble for good reason.. In this case the OP is overgeared for the run so we know to look elsewhere. Admittedly an armory link would be better but he wasn't asking about his gear choices so a GS score does no harm in getting a better picture of why he might be having trouble.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

And no, I'm not a GS fanatic I just think it has its uses when used properly and doesn't deserve that level of response. Especially from a mod.
    Heh, Priest Mods are srsbznz lately. Bite your lip and take it or just ignore them imo, I do both depending on my mood of the day.

My take on HoR from my experiences as each role:
    Healing: I find what makes healing this difficult is DPS pulling aggro by AoE'ing early/not assisting the tank
    Tanking: I find what makes tanking this difficult is DPS pulling aggro by AoE'ing early/not assisting me
    DPSing: I find HoR pretty easy since I MD the tank, CC the Mage/Hunter, and single target assist the tank to down mobs rather quickly.

It's always going to be an ugly instance, since WotLK is kinda imba. It seems like LFG Random Dungeon DPSers, on average, have no idea what their assist key actually does. Who knows, maybe after a few more months of people failing at Rotface/Blood Princes they'll finally learn that World of AoECraft actually does have fight mechanics incorporated into it.

Gearscore is the worst possible way to describe your gear to people though.

Fetish of Volatile Power is a horrible trinket for Shadow, and yet it has a higher item level than Abyssal Rune, and so Gearscore would assume that Fetish is better despite it being much worse. It also doesn't show any gems or enchants, or even if the gear they are wearing is vaguely appropriate. With Priests there is a limit to how far we can go wrong, since we can only wear Cloth, but if they have 5100 Gearscore in full PVP epics then I would say that would be a good indication on why they are having problems healing it.

Gearscore has a use, which is when you know nothing about a player it gives you the very basic information on their gear. Since it can't measure how appropriate gear is or if they have any idea what they are doing, it's better than nothing, but that's not exactly a glowing recommendation.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.