Poll: Do you watch, or skip Cut Scenes?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Do you watch, or skip cut scenes?

So, during a visit to a old friend. I let him play my copy of Battlefield: Bad Company 2. He decided to play Single Player, but one thing I noticed right away is that he skipped every cut scene. I asked him why, and he said he never cared for Cut Scenes and would rather get back to the game, and after a few minutes of bickering with him, I simply tolerated it.

He is not the first person I know, or met who has simply skipped cut scenes, and it just boggles my mind of why people would rather play a game and have no idea what is going on. It basically takes one aspect of the game, that I personally find to be the greatest aspect, and.... skips it.I personally think that Cut Scenes should be unskippable during first play-through.

I voted "Will watch them first playthrough then skip afterwards." even though I do rewatch them sometimes.

Re: Do you watch, or skip cut scenes?

Stories are for books and movies. I tend to skip cut scenes in most games though I don't play many single player games anymore. I've turned in to an MP whore with LoL, HoN, SC2, BLC, MW/MW2.

The only time I've ever been interested in the story is Half-Life. Actually I think I paid attention to the story in FFX too but I never finished the game, I'm not really a fan of turn based RPGs =/ Oh I also liked the story in the first Modern Warfare, it was pretty decent. MW2 on the other hand was awful. I stopped playing at the "run to the gas station now to the Burger King now to the Bennigans now back now run in more circles"

I think if more studios hired very good quality writers I would pay be more interested. It seems to me the vast majority of games skimp on their writers for the story. If they even hire decent writers at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Carousel
    Stories are for books and movies. I tend to skip cut scenes in most games though I don't play many single player games anymore. I've turned in to an MP whore with LoL, HoN, SC2, BLC, MW/MW2.

The only time I've ever been interested in the story is Half-Life. Actually I think I paid attention to the story in FFX too but I never finished the game, I'm not really a fan of turn based RPGs =/

I think if more studios hired very good quality writers I would pay be more interested. It seems to me the vast majority of games skimp on their writers for the story. If they even hire decent writers at all...
    If you think Stories are for only Books and Movies than I would hate to watch you play Mass Effect after you realize you can skip conversations. Also, I would think the only reason you were aware that Half-Life had a story was because it didn't have cut scenes and you were forced to be subject to the story. Seriously, Cut Scenes are short and usually interesting, watch them or you're only playing part of the game.

Oh I didn't even think about Mass Effect. I really liked that game and played through it twice actually. Pretty good story there, but it was Bioware, they don't skimp on shit like that. ME2 was pretty decent but I hated the fact that 90% of it was assembling the team and left pretty much the last mission to really accomplish something. I'm hoping ME3 is epic because ME2 left me disappointed.

I didn't even know you could skip conversations in those games till my second play through of ME2 where I did use it a bit but that was because I remembered pretty much all of it and it didn't interest me as much as the first game did.

i watch them all every time i play the game for the first time after that whats the point unless your making a cup of tea or something.

if you hate cut scenes then MGS4 would have bored you to hell, but the hour and a half long cutscene explains a heck of a lot of the entire MGS series and if you miss it you won't understand jack.

i like to know why i'm running around doing this stuff as just because i can seems a bit lax and boring. imagining i'm the proffesized hero of an epic adventure game and living it out in the game adds depth to it, if you skip the cutscenes you are just a person killing stuff.

battlefield bad company 2 had a terrible story but also a terribly short story, i didn't skip it but it left me wishing that i did.

bottom line is that cutscenes can actually make or break a game, if BF:BC2 didn't have a good MP then it would have failed big time

If the cutscene is epic enough, I can watch it over and over again. Otherwise, I watch it once and then skip it.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

15+ Year Old Account

If Bioware made the game, I watch the cutscenes every time (Mass Effect and DA:O have some of the best storylines I've ever seen in a game). Otherwise, I tend to watch them the first time, and then skip.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Yeah, i'll give it a listen. If it's a horrible story (or horribly voice acted), but good game, i will try to skip most of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Depends on the game.
    Thank you to Serrin for the signature!
    PC Stuffs: i7-4790K | Z97X-SLI | 16GB DDR3-1866 | GTX-780 | 256GB Samsung EVO | 1TB WD Blue | SuperNOVA 650 Gold | Fractal r4 Blackout | Dark Rock Pro 3

if the game is good i will watch em.if the game has no reason to watch the cutscenes only to see some explosions and such(call me Unreal Tournament 3),no i will not watch em
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!

Will usually watch them the first time, then skip afterwards.

watch them the first time, just to understand why im blowing things up
    skip afterwards.

except in just cause 2, where i skip in the first gameplay, i just wanna blow thing up without reason

Cutscenes are a part of the games so i'll enjoy them.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account

Watch first time, then skip after.

Unless I'm playing the game for the first time in years (Like I am with Kotor 1 and 2 atm), then I'll watch them again.

I'll always watch all of them the first time around, then afterwards I'll skip them unless the story really caught me (There are some thing you wouldn't get until a second playthrough when you know how the game ends)
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by seam
    Watch first time, then skip after.

Unless I'm playing the game for the first time in years (Like I am with Kotor 1 and 2 atm), then I'll watch them again.
    Same here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

Depends on the game, if its like MGS wow I have to skip every non cinametic scene or ill go nuts.

I'll watch them the firt time. if they're cool I'll do it a 2nd or 3rd time, though then I start canceling.
    Bios: http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/cailean/

[00:20] <+Marzenia> made awesomechicken last week
    [00:20] <+Marzenia> with zingiber
    [00:20] == Gungbroh has changed nick to Gungcleans
    [00:20] <Synthaxx> Yeah, same with me. Can't stand red meat.
    [00:20] <Mikesmit> who doesn't like chicken? I like breasts, and you, marzenia?
    [00:20] <Synthaxx> haha
    [00:20] <+Marzenia> well i can eat red meat, i am not crazy about it tho
    [00:21] <Mikesmit> shh Synthaxx, she might fall for it :P
    [00:21] <+Marzenia> I love breasts!

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    I personally think that Cut Scenes should be unskippable during first play-through.
    Tbh I'll have to both agree and disagree with this. Cutscenes are there to get the story going but at the same time I want to have the option to skip them. I don't wanna feel forced to watch them.

And I voted "Will watch them" because story is always my biggest concern (at least when playing FPS games.)

I watch them first play through the game but after that its pointless unless its an extremely epic cut scene.