Problems with new video card

I bought a video card for the first time. I got the XFX HD 5770. I put it in the slot as instructed and connected the 6 pin power however when i run my computer it says i have no signal to my monitor. As soon as i unplug the 6 pin power from the video card it runs fine but im still running through the original chip which is an MSI radeon Xpress 200 series. I don't understand why its doing this?

Re: Problems with new video card

You have to disable your other video card whether its on board or a card itself for the new one to work
    80 Rogue / 80 Druid

Is your monitor plugged into the card?

yes my monitor is plugged into the card, and i already disabled my on board card. my pc wont even boot when the 6 pin is connected to the card.

If your PC won't boot with it plugged in, you might have an underpowered PSU.

What's the power rating on your PSU? It sounds like you got a pre-configured computer and those usually come with a PSU just powerful enough to start up.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by op3l
    If your PC won't boot with it plugged in, you might have an underpowered PSU.

What's the power rating on your PSU? It sounds like you got a pre-configured computer and those usually come with a PSU just powerful enough to start up.
    OP, you'll want to note wattage and amperage. Both are important to your video card.

it turns on cause i hear the fans going n stuff. i just bought a new one with total of 700 watts.

So right now the situation is:

You plugged the 6pin into the video card.
    You plugged the monitor to the video card.
    You turn on the computer, the fans all spin and stay spinning.
    The computer will boot just no image?

Basically its like this, i have my monitor connected 2 ways, 1 VGA to my on board card, 2 DVI from my new card. Now my comp is off so i put the 6 pin power into the card, unplug the VGA cable from both ends. start up the comp and wait for awhile. its on, my disk tray wont open or anything. now i try plugging the vga cable back in and still no signal. As soon as i pull out the 6 pin i get a signal through the VGA cable. i can plug the 6 pin back in but when i try to run the driver cd's it says We are unable to detect an XFX product at this time. I've already reseated the card and all cables multiple times.

What brand/model PSU did you buy?

OCZ Stealth x Stream 700