Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Rogue vs. Priest = No Contest

Seriously...I can't seem to do ANYthing against Rogue, 1v1. They trinket my fear, stunlock me and -50% healing makes my heals just about useless. with Warrior, Paladin or other melee, I can at least run around and confuse them by running through them, but I can't with Rogue because they slow me -50% just by auto attacking.

I've got 1150 resil, and 31k HP w/ self-buffs and Kings. Even with Pain Suppression up, they still beat me down in seconds because healing is so low from poison.

Tips? Tricks? Strats? I was thinking popping Power Infusion would help, because of the massive haste buff.

*Waits for the inevitable "QQ L2PLAY NOOB" post*
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Re: Rogue vs. Priest = No Contest

fakecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bron
    fakecast.
    I do. I cast Mind Control, and they usually kick it. If not, they trinket it and resume kicking my ass. Even if I DO manage to bait their kick and free heal, it's useless because of -50% healing.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Note, I do not do PvP much, but I know that PvP is not balanced around 1v1, so to actually beat a rogue would mean you'd have to be greatly skilled and probably be very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook
    I do. I cast Mind Control, and they usually kick it. If not, they trinket it and resume kicking my ass. Even if I DO manage to bait their kick and free heal, it's useless because of -50% healing.
    Thats not a fakecast. I play my priest from last season (Furious/Relent) and I can tank wrathful rogues pretty well, usually doing just fine with dots/sfiend. But as mentioned:
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    ... but I know that PvP is not balanced around 1v1....
    Its not balanced around 1v1s, so /thread

Rogues are pretty much a disc priest's anti-class, since you have no way of dispelling a poison unless if you're holy, and yet again the poison reaplies instantly.

Tbh the other healer classes have mobility or armor to keep them up against rogues. Dispelling the poison is half the job.
    Shamans have a totem for the poison, but if you just stand there and take the damage it's useless. Wolf, slows and armor is what makes shamans formitable against rogues.
    Same goes for druids, since barkskin is pretty much all they need for stuns, the mobility is what helps them and the hots.
    Paladins are like a wall with the plate and their shield. You cant stab a wall. Plus the stun and all thier protective abilities cover for the low mobility.

Priests are the most immobile healers. Even if you had a poison dispell what good would it be if the rogue can still pretty much apply it instantly and keep on kicking your ass with all the cc?

I'm also gonna say that 1v1 nothing is balanced. Pretty much the opposite. Get a partner that can handle rogues for you and that's all you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    Hi i am any class in the game. To beat me spam icelance and then talk about how skilled you are when the 20k crits roll in.

Are you disc? 1v1 against a rogue the priest has a big advantage as disc (with reflective shield, otherwise its probably fairly close, slightly in priests favor) or shadow. I will assume you are disc, keep shields on yourself, dot the rogue and fakecast, if you get him to use kick freecast a bit.

Fear him early to force trinket, then live till second fear and you should be able to top yourself and get him really low. Painsup the first kidney that you cant trinket.

One thing is you should definitely use holy nova a lot as it is healing you (small amounts yes, but as long as shields are up and with a pennance on CD you should live) and does dmg to him.

Equally geared you should win most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubix
    Thats not a fakecast.
    So, I'm supposed to sit there, trying to bait his kick with Flash Heal while I get my ass handed to me. Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubix
    I can tank wrathful rogues pretty well
    This. THIS is what I can't seem to do. Rogue just kicks my ass in less than 15 seconds, and it's like, I feel totally useless and helpless.

As for Shadowfiend...that's on a 5minute CD, and I really only use it when I'm in a big battle and need mana.

then live till second fear
    Impossible. I find it extremely difficult to last more than 15 seconds against a Rogue.

Painsup the first kidney that you cant trinket.
    Many guides said to not trinket kidney shot, to save it for Blind so that the rogue can't chicken out and run away, or reset the fight. (bandage, stealth again)

Quote Originally Posted by Vook
    So, I'm supposed to sit there, trying to bait his kick with Flash Heal while I get my ass handed to me. Sounds good.

This. THIS is what I can't seem to do. Rogue just kicks my ass in less than 15 seconds, and it's like, I feel totally useless and helpless.

As for Shadowfiend...that's on a 5minute CD, and I really only use it when I'm in a big battle and need mana.

Impossible. I find it extremely difficult to last more than 15 seconds against a Rogue.

Many guides said to not trinket kidney shot, to save it for Blind so that the rogue can't chicken out and run away, or reset the fight. (bandage, stealth again)
    If you want to actually win you need to use all of your tools. If you want to kill him then Shadowfiend gives you an advantage.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

To be honest, the only thing that keeps me from killing a rogue is their Cloak + Vanish combo.

I find holy nova can sometimes get them to move away, or sometimes even break stealth.

You're right though. Priest V Rogue is tough.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

On equal gear level with 1000+ resilience and reflective shield you should win 90% of the time against rogues. If you make it to the second fear you have already won which means you have to survive like 60 seconds which really isn't that hard if you keep Shield, PoM, Penance on cooldown. Just let him kick Penance if you can't fakecast, most of the time you'll still get 2 ticks from it.

i dont see how fakecasting will help when the rogue can kill you without kicking any heals
    if you going to cast a flash heal that heals for about half of the auto attack he just did i'm sure he ain't going to waste the energy on a kick when another special move will void that heal off anyways and i dont see how a disc priest is going to fake cast his best heal 'pennance'
    mind control is not a good idea.. with all the pushback you got from casting it he's already halved your hp and he will obviously break it straight away

you are right... there is no contest, its rediculas.
    The kiss of the sun for pardon
    The song of the birds for mirth
    You are nearer gods heart in a garden
    Than anywhere else on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez
    On equal gear level with 1000+ resilience and reflective shield you should win 90% of the time against rogues.
    Yeah once u get that resil the tables turn because it is hard to nuke you in the stun lock.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darshana
    i dont see how fakecasting will help when the rogue can kill you without kicking any heals
    if you going to cast a flash heal that heals for about half of the auto attack he just did i'm sure he ain't going to waste the energy on a kick when another special move will void that heal off anyways and i dont see how a disc priest is going to fake cast his best heal 'pennance'
    mind control is not a good idea.. with all the pushback you got from casting it he's already halved your hp and he will obviously break it straight away

you are right... there is no contest, its rediculas.
    maybe stop dueling lvl 80 rogues at level 70? seriously watch some movies or duels in front of OG where good Disc Priests rape rogues and then come back and tell me you can't even heal against it if he doesn't kick.

15+ Year Old Account

Trinket Kidney Shot, not Cheap Shot. Don't blow Fear straight after the stun lock as they usually have CloS up, use your eyes and evaluate. Keep DoTs up. Keep HoT up. Keep Inner Fire applied, you will die if it drops and stays unrefreshed.

Lastly, PvP is not balanced around 1v1, don't expect it to be. I am a great offensive healer, however only when my partner(s) are pealing off me and doing their job so I can do mine. It's a different for from BGs and Arenas, I can and have tanked 5~ players in AB and so on while also getting my face slapped by a single Arms Warrior in the Arena.

10+ Year Old Account

Honestly warriors are way more deadly than rogues at the moment. The ones that have the 264 weapons out of ICC and run with so much Armour Pen that makes your innerfire just a nice little buff in the top right side of your screen are harder to stay alive.

Fakecasting is a big gamble imo. That time is much better spent using holy nova. My usual tac vs rogues is to keep PoM, renew and shield up. After a shield, go for PI and then get 2 quick ticks of pennance off. If you dont have enough haste, just go for 1 tick of every pennance.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    If you want to actually win you need to use all of your tools. If you want to kill him then Shadowfiend gives you an advantage.
    ^^

Pop it on him when he cloaks, which will usually be when he's fairly low. SF does a lot of damage, and lolz at cloak.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Fear Early
    Keep dots up.
    Trinket the Kidney (2nd stun)
    Keep Renew/PWS/Pom/Holy nova going.

After HIS trinket is down, rogue will cloak your dots, vanish and reopen.
    When stun ends, use Fear and the game is yours, Dots -> Hfire

Quote Originally Posted by buckybadger
    Are you disc? 1v1 against a rogue the priest has a big advantage as disc (with reflective shield, otherwise its probably fairly close, slightly in priests favor) or shadow. I will assume you are disc, keep shields on yourself, dot the rogue and fakecast, if you get him to use kick freecast a bit.

Fear him early to force trinket, then live till second fear and you should be able to top yourself and get him really low. Painsup the first kidney that you cant trinket.

One thing is you should definitely use holy nova a lot as it is healing you (small amounts yes, but as long as shields are up and with a pennance on CD you should live) and does dmg to him.

Equally geared you should win most of the time.
    This sounds exactly like my experience dueling Rogues. 75% or more of my damage done to them is completely passive w/ Reflective Shield, our 2 DoTs, and Shadowfiend.

Fearing early to eat their trinket and then living for the 2nd fear is key. Make sure not to waste a fear on their Cloak of Shadows (many Rogues are predictable and will use it against a Priest right as their stun lock is about to end, anticipating the fear, this is pretty general though and good Rogues don't always do this). Glyph of Pain Suppression is also key for the first Kidney Shot you can't trinket. The Holy Nova idea is pretty good too since it's instant and it helps keep you up while chipping away at the Rogue a little bit. Make sure PoM is always on you every CD and don't let Renew fall off (if you are at full health and can spare the GCD).

A few little things I've done before that seemed to work against most types of opponents...if you live to get off a fear he can't trinket, Inner Focus + GHeal works pretty well at getting you topped off quickly, you save mana, and it makes sure you have Penance up for when he starts beating on you again. Also popping Divine Hymn right after shielding if you're low HP just to get 1-2 ticks off quickly can help.

Also, since you're cloth, make sure you have decent resilience (1kish) if you're up against a decently PVE geared Rogue.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/