Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Rogue vs. Priest = No Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Vook
    Not true. I've DoT'd things and MC'd them before, and I've MC'd dotted people in BG's. Also if MC broke on Damage, then Instructor Razuvius 25man would be impossible.

If anything about breaking on damage in PvP situations, it would probably work like Fear or something, breaking after a certain amount of damage. Having the Rogue MC'd would just buy me an extra 12 seconds or so (10 seconds of MC, 2 or so seconds for him to get back to me from 20yds) to let me easily get a 2nd Fear.
    My bad, I don't play a priest

I still think good fake casting > MC though.

If you're new to the whole fake casting thing (let's hypothetically assume that you want to try it )
    make a macro like this:
    Code:
    /stopcasting
    Now try it with Penance. Penance ticks three times, try to interrupt it as soon as the second tick heals. Start doing it against rogues (I don't really know what a penance ticks for, but one tick should be overweighed by a missed kick). That usually gets most rogues sub-2k rating from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    It breaks/shortens in duration if the caster takes damage.
    Didn't think of it as a channel D:

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    It breaks/shortens in duration if the caster takes damage.
    Yes, it does this. Yes, MC is a channel, after the initial cast. I'm pretty sure only physical/direct damage shortens the channel, though. Would be really cheap if DoTs shortened it, and I don't know of any other channel that's shortened/broken by DoTs or periodic damage.

And I usually Penance after a bubble, so that it's ~1.1sec cast. Never had a rogue kick a 1.1sec Penance before ;p I suppose I could try to fakecast non-BT'd Penance though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Never had a rogue kick a 1.1sec Penance before ;p
    Many rogues see themselves as an equivalent to a demi-god and try to kick spells below 2s

Quote Originally Posted by Longview
    Many rogues see themselves as an equivalent to a demi-god and try to kick spells below 2s
    Well I figure what with latency and reaction time, kicking a 1-second spell is pretty damn hard.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Please, point out where I said this. I think I've missed it.

Fixed.
    So you didn't directly mention casting flash heal, which means you're not trying to heal yourself and wondering why a rogue is killing you in 15s. You're mentioning Mind Control, which is what you're doing instead of healing, which by the way, isn't healing you in case you didn't get that. Any decent rogue will simply gouge it, then go after you again making you waste 3-4 seconds of casting. And don't quote your 2.5s mind control cast to me, I'm glad you have haste, that's tremendously exciting for you, now:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Pushback

Your 2.5s Mind Control is jumping at least up to 4s with a rogue damaging you (this is what I meant by 4s in the first place). Not to mention if he's smart enough to gouge you, its taking you 6-8s to effectively mind control him. And if you're casting a BT Mind control when you have a shield up, why are you wasting your brief immunity from pushback and haste on a spell that's not keeping you alive? You don't have time for that as you've repeatedly said several times in this thread, since they're killing you in 15 seconds. By the way, if you actually GET the mind control off, congrats, you just invited the rogue to restealth and reopen on you since he's out of combat as soon as MC breaks. So you're back at square one - you get 2 flash heals off after a full mind control, MAYBE you top yourself, and he reopens on you without using any cooldowns.

Clearly you're not asking for help, just tips or tricks, so here's mine again:
    I had similar gear to you at the beginning of the season, the only difference was I gemmed for resil a little more. I haven't had inspiration all season, I haven't had blessed resilience all season, they're both trash in arena compared to most of the talents in the disc tree. I never lose to rogues in duels, equivalently geared or in many cases even better than that. Cast your instants on cooldowns, living 2 the 2nd fear should be your goal. Pump faking a heal makes this tremendously easier because if he whiffs, then you have about 8s to freecast heal, which is more than enough to overcome their damage, even with mortal strike so long as you have 2700+ spell power with IF up.

By the way, here you go:
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthre...ighlight=rogue

Even ignoring the posts I made in those threads and reading the info around them should help you out. Don't bother quoting me and spending time to try and prove me wrong - I'm not gonna come back and check the thread again since there's ample resources within it to provide you with tips for your problem, but you've got one thing right! Priest vs. Rogue is no contest, its just in the priest's favor, not the rogue's... best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rookx ZG
    Don't bother quoting me and spending time to try and prove me wrong - I'm not gonna come back and check the thread again
    Hehe, someone's full of themself. ;P

Random advice for fake casting. The best time to try it is when you know KS is on cooldown. I laugh on my rogue when I'm baited into kicking MC, or I miss a kick on a faked flash heal, and then I just Kidney their next attempt anyway.

On that note, a rogue also have the option to gouge your ass after missing a kick. Yeah DP will remove gouge but he'll still likely get 1 second or so and he killed your heal, bought time for kick/kidney to come off CD. So maybe show him your back if you think he's a gouger.

Deleted

I listened to a priest song on youtube, made quite some years ago I think. He sings:
    ... and a rogue can take all my life away - in probably one shot.

Guess things are still the same. My priest never pwns any rogue in any spec... except for undergeared or rogues with only pve experience.

Btw... I hate mangle cat too =/ But can live a tiny bit longer against them.

Deleted

pre-heal or fake cast early. If you start getting under 70% health he's able to burst you down. Often the rogue wont kick your flash heals when you're at 90% hp, or else you'll be able to heal yourself up again after 3-4 seconds with a quick penance (since his kick is on cd).

Honestly this is one of if not the only times being holy is better than being disc, Body and soul for poison cleanses and you get speed shields to help you kite/ get casts off, blessed resillence is actually halfway decent against rogues since their offhand autoswings crit you making you immune to their 5 point finisher crits, try it in a duel sometime, its actually ffunny watching the rogue go wtf.

if you cast mind controll instead of simply moving, you waste the entire length of the cast taking damage, any rogue with half a brain is going to pound you untill hes sure you're not baiting the juke and then kick or more likely gouge, at this point, you lock yourself out of your DoT's, as well as your only real self peel for nearly the entire duration of kick or, gain no benefit at all from the gouge at which point, what, you cast mind controll again?

fake casting wins game against all interupt classes, if you can't do it, well, actually i don't know how hard it is to wait a little bit and then move after starting a cast :S.

if you are specced reflective shields especially, you will (should) never have any trouble at all unless the sneaky rogue saps off shield /opens with 5 combo points already up from cheapshot restealths.

Yeah, uh, I don't get it, usually on my Rogue who's pretty amateur geared, 2 Relent, 2 furious, wrathful off pieces, and I always get my ass raped by Disc Priests... Well, at least against Patia, who is actually better geared than me and is probably one of the best Disc on the server, so that might be why...

But as a Rogue I usually have trouble with Disc priests, can't understand how you can have trouble with Rogues.

Edit: This is me speaking of when I'm ENVENOM spec'd, because of deadly poison, where you can't Blind or hardly do a long lasting Gouge.
    As a Subtelty Rogue with Shadow Dance, then ofc Disc Priests are easier, since Shadow Dance gives the ability to garrote (silence) and cheap shot, without stealth, making Healers a lot easier.

Well I figure what with latency and reaction time, kicking a 1-second spell is pretty damn hard.
    Good latency makes it relatively easy to kick 1 sec casts if you can predict them only class it is hard to do this with is warriors as they have to stance dance.

What I do is shield myself penance for full duration who cares if he kicks it you have your shield and have health and you have fear ,and after 8secs you will be able to spam yourself up immediately.In 1v1 situation I can't rly think why you would want to fakecast your ass off since I ve faced rogues that are so retarded that didn't want to kick so I had to fakecast the entire duel and then hearing them laugh at me while they nuking me and me trying to fakecast penance and 1/2 flash heals....good fun since then I go shield heal heal (possibly kick) dots shadowfiend mindblast,heal heal heal to full

Quote from hydra (hydramist.net)
    after u shield cast a full penance and spam some flash heals, he's going to kick and it dont matter cos then u can penance again when silence ends and u get 2 full penances pretty much

Okay, I'm not the best PvPer in the world, but I can defeat my arena partner as disc without much effort ( He's a rogue ). What I do is basicly stay with my shield on so that when he starts the stun lock I can get some damage on him with reflective shield and less damage on me ( You can also use pain supression when he starts the stunlock ).
    After that, if you are low health, use desperate prayer, reshield yourself and put PoM and renew on you (all instant heals) . This is now the time to force the rogue to play on the defencive, DoT him up and make him use cloak of shadows and keep yourself up. If he used cloak of shadows, fear him and dot him again and quickly heal youself, cause he will trinket it.
    After that, it's easy, keep your shield up, if you are blinded, trinket it and DoT the rogue again so he doesn't restealth. The rogue will eventually die with your DoTs, but to make it faster, you could also use your shadowfiend do some damage and avoid that he restealths.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

To be honest, I thought it was no contest in favor of the priest! Bubble and PoM before the duel, when he opens the first gcd's should be Pw:S and renew, then refreshing the PoM. Put Sfiend, Sw:P and DP on him, and he'll likely CoS. Fear him after the CoS, he'll trinket, if not holy fire him and run while refreshing PW:S, renew and PoM. PS after he gets back onto you, and you'll win by the next fear if you can keep up Sw:P and DP.

Casting Mindcontrol is ok, if you're not under pressure, Mindblast works too.
    If you want to beat really good rogues you absolutely have to learn fakecasting. If you refuse to fake cast because you think "it sucks" you might as well stop pvping right there because you won't get far against good players. A priest who is really good in fake casting is a pain in the ass for any class with an interrupt, a priest who can't fakecast at all is a free kill.

Also some people suggested using trinket for kidney shot against rogues. Don't do that in a 1v1. It leaves you vulnerable to a cloak -> blind -> restealth - > sap -> bandage -> reopener. You'll find yourself in a worse spot than before against any decent player and you shouldn't die to a simple kidney shot with good equipment.

Maybe you've stumbled into a combat rogue with some PVE gear.

I haven't played my own disc priest in a while, but my disc priest partner in arena is jumped by a good combat rogue, then I know he's going to be toast before I can say "lol what?".

I find muti rogues to be fairly harmless when they're alone... If they got a friend spamming frostbolts/laserbeams at you at the same time, they're very dangerous.

With reflective shields, shadow fiend and Glyph of inner fire you should NEVER lose to a rogue. Remove any of those from the equation and your odds get gradually worse.
    Demog - Level 80 Orc Warrior @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Demoq - Level 80 Blood Elf Priest @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Demok - Level 80 Undead Rogue @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Demot - Level 80 Troll Mage @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Gnommez - Level 80 Gnome Death Knight @ Terokkar-EU

I do. I cast Mind Control, and they usually kick it. If not, they trinket it and resume kicking my ass. Even if I DO manage to bait their kick and free heal, it's useless because of -50% healing.
    never do that