Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodri View Post
    Human - England in the middle ages
    Dwarf - Scottish or Russia a few hundred years ago
    Gnome - ..steampunk American midgets?
    Night Elf - Chinese architecture with a Native American culture
    Draenei - Middle Eastern, replace the Light with Allah and fanatics with Broken Engineers and you've got it
    Worgen - Ye olde English

Orc - Zulu
    Troll - Inca/Aztec, along those lines
    Forsaken - Anyone read Queen Victoria zombie hunter?
    Blood Elves - Italian Renaissance
    Tauren - Element worshipping Native Americans
    Goblins - Danny DeVito
    *read, agree*
    *read, agree*
    *read, agree*
    *read*
    *pause*
    *double-take*
    *spew drink*
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    goblins are modeled after american trash show Jersey Shore

Goblin- London(not england London but London the country)
    Human- Middle Ages European
    Dwarf- Scottish/ middle ages russia
    Night Elf- Japanese(Shinto)
    Gnome- Swiss/dutch
    Draenei- Russian/East Europe accents indian culture
    Worgen- 19th Century English
    Orc- Strong african tribes like the Zulu
    Tauren- Native American
    Forsaken- Gothic
    Troll- Jamaican/west african culture/aztec arcitecture
    Blood Elf- French/Spanish(white)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at the map of Kalimdor, Durotar is Somalia of Azeroth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    By jove, i think hes cracked the code! indians = draenei driven out = lol exodar = Gypsies
    But draeneis can't be rogues, and gypsies are famous for stealing stuff and stabbing people with knives.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    If you look at the map of Kalimdor, Durotar is Somalia of Azeroth.

- - - Updated - - -

But draeneis can't be rogues, and gypsies are famous for stealing stuff and stabbing people with knives.
    :----D 5/5 manne referenssi.

Night Elves best represent the early Druidic cultures of western Europe. Highly reclusive, worshippers of nature, but with some very bloody, human sacrifice oriented dark secrets (i.e. the Highborne, albeit not so much human sacrifice). They were also very fond of standing stones. (i.e. Stonehenge). So while Nelf buildings have a lot of oriental stylization, that's probably because nobody actually has any idea what the architecture of the early western-European Druids looked like. It was so long ago that at no point throughout recorded history did any of their houses still stand. By then the primary culture of Druidism had largely been disassembled by the Celts and what would go on to become the Anglo-Saxons (the Angles and the Saxons). Druidism had essentially been reduced to spoken tradition, and some fringe religious practices.

Druidic culture was also a highly sexualized culture in which the female reproductive system was considered very sacred, as reflected by the fact that Nelf culture is a matriarchy.

Meeting the Night Elves in Warcraft canon was essentially like going to Stone Henge, and then wandering off in a nearby forest and actually meeting the people who built it. Because if somebody were to land on the eastern coast of Kalimdor they would first find themselves greeted by a lot of old Highborne ruins. They are ancient pieces of architecture, and yet hint of a level of architectural sophistication that is beyond any known ancient people. And then you press further into Kalimdor you eventually find yourself in Kaldorei territory. They are now scattered, hiding amongst the shadows and those old stone buildings on the east coast are a monument to the very dark and sinister past they have moved away from.

EDIT: The Night Elves were essentially a lost culture. Just like the early druids of Western Europe. We know next to nothing about them. Just as both Horde and Alliance knew nothing about Night Elves when they set sail and landed in Kalimdor initially.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-10-22 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood Elves... rich kids from Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
    Goblin- 70's/80's Wall street traders, Robber barons of the industrial revolution, Venetian merchants.
    Night Elf- native americans
    Gnome- cyberpunk
    Tauren- Native American
    Forsaken- Gothic
    Blood Elf- hell if I know
    Blood Elves are kind of a distillation of general fantasy Elf art over the decades post-Tolkien.

Orcs were originally Mongolian themed:

They were an invading savage horde from another world, remember. Plus of course, they're Orcs a la Tolkien, particularly influenced by Warhammer et al.

I don't get how Dwarves are Russian, or anything apart from Scottish really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    The blood elves are more like the Byzantines, an old nation with a strong culture, riche and clever but arrogant and corrupted. The thalassian architecture look like the byzantine architecture (hagia sophia and hagia irene for exemple). The byzantines was totally sure about their fortification for preserve their empire like thalassian about the sunwell shield. And face to great ennemies, they searched allies: byzantine the knights of the western europe against turkish armies and thalassian the humans against troll armies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
    Goblin- 70's/80's Wall street traders, Robber barons of the industrial revolution, Venetian merchants.
    Night Elf- native americans
    Gnome- cyberpunk
    Tauren- Native American
    Forsaken- Gothic
    Blood Elf- hell if I know

blood elves=crack fiends
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Night Elves best represent the early Druidic cultures of western Europe. Highly reclusive, worshippers of nature, but with some very bloody, human sacrifice oriented dark secrets (i.e. the Highborne, albeit not so much human sacrifice). They were also very fond of standing stones. (i.e. Stonehenge). So while Nelf buildings have a lot of oriental stylization, that's probably because nobody actually has any idea what the architecture of the early western-European Druids looked like. It was so long ago that at no point throughout recorded history did any of their houses still stand. By then the primary culture of Druidism had largely been disassembled by the Celts and what would go on to become the Anglo-Saxons (the Angles and the Saxons). Druidism had essentially been reduced to spoken tradition, and some fringe religious practices.

Druidic culture was also a highly sexualized culture in which the female reproductive system was considered very sacred, as reflected by the fact that Nelf culture is a matriarchy.

Meeting the Night Elves in Warcraft canon was essentially like going to Stone Henge, and then wandering off in a nearby forest and actually meeting the people who built it. Because if somebody were to land on the eastern coast of Kalimdor they would first find themselves greeted by a lot of old Highborne ruins. They are ancient pieces of architecture, and yet hint of a level of architectural sophistication that is beyond any known ancient people. And then you press further into Kalimdor you eventually find yourself in Kaldorei territory. They are now scattered, hiding amongst the shadows and those old stone buildings on the east coast are a monument to the very dark and sinister past they have moved away from.

EDIT: The Night Elves were essentially a lost culture. Just like the early druids of Western Europe. We know next to nothing about them. Just as both Horde and Alliance knew nothing about Night Elves when they set sail and landed in Kalimdor initially.
    ^^^^ /tenchars.

Human - Medieval European
    Dwarf - Scottish
    Night Elves - Japanese/Korean hybrid
    Gnome -
    Draenei- Slavic/Indian
    Worgen - Victorian English
    Orc - Zulu
    Tauren - Native American
    Forsaken - North Korea~
    Troll- Jamaican
    Blood Elf - Persian/Arabic
    Goblin -
    Pandaren - China ofcourse

From a cultural PoV:

Orc -> Middle Age Huns, Turks
    Dwarf -> Scottish?
    Human -> Middle Age Central-European?
    Belves -> ???
    Draenei -> ???
    Worgen -> English
    Nelves -> ???
    Tauren -> Native Americans?
    Undead -> ???
    Troll -> African
    Goblin -> Jews
    Panda - > Asian

Draenei have a bunch of different stuff. Some of their names and language sounds Greek. There accents are vaguely slavic, in an exaggerated sense, I know plenty of Russians/Ukrainians and they don't really sound like draenei. Their culture has influences from several different cultures including Turkish, Greek, and Indian. So, they don't really fit into a single RL group.

Deleted
    Goblin- street culture
    Human- Middle Ages West Germanic
    Dwarf- Scottish(wtf why everyone say that they are russian?!)
    Night Elf- ancient Greek(togas, ancient culture, kaldorei ruins looks like greek ruins, Nagas are medusas, satyrs, keeper of the grove/nymph are from greek mitology but all those tree hugging ideology is a little bit native american)
    Gnome- cyberpunk
    Draenei- middle east-UFO
    Worgen- 19th Century English(victorian era)
    Orc- African/barbarian
    Tauren- Native American
    Forsaken- Gothic
    Troll- Central America
    Blood Elf- Late Baroque in elven culture :P
    Last edited by mmoc9f96497ef5; 2013-10-22 at 09:38 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddilus View Post
    I think Orcs more closely resemble Germanic barbarians(Vandals/Goths) or perhaps the Huns or Mongols than any African tribe or culture
    I've always thought the same, I don't see large-scail raiding, plundering and conquest as an African tribe thing. Orcs get also closer to Germanic, and especially Vikings, with evaluating the stronger way above the weak and acting accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    I've always thought the same, I don't see large-scail raiding, plundering and conquest as an African tribe thing. Orcs get also closer to Germanic, and especially Vikings, with evaluating the stronger way above the weak and acting accordingly.
    I think one of the reasons people make the Zulu (or more generic african) connection with Orcs has to do with the orcs being enslaved by the legion, taken from their homeworld, hated on their new world, eventually being freed from their slavery, and still being considered sub-human by the larger, more established population (most of which have a European feel). Thrall being essentially Dr. King (although a bit more willing to press the Orc agenda with physicality if necessary, still seeking to avoid violence and encouraging orcs to not perpetrate the stereotypes of barbarity) and Garrosh being either Huey Long or Malcolm (neither stayed in power as long as Gary did, so it's hard to guess which figure he was more based on).

It makes a fair amount of sense, that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get why Orcs are considered to be African-inspired. Sure, they were enslaved, but it was the orcs who started the war, not humans.

To me, orcs have always seemed to be vaguely Eurasian, Mongolian/Turkic (nomads turned conquerors turned civilised) with a smidge of Russian (many Orc names, from Grom to Draka to Durak, are taken from Slavic languages) as well as Japanese culture.

On the other hand, however, the orcs also seem very similar to the British Empire's colonists if you think about it, especially Americans - considering their two vaguely Native American allies/subservient races, the trolls and the tauren, their culture which has an emphasis on freedom while also being extremely militant, and their growth from a band of refugees to one of the most powerful empires of the world. You could also compare them to Australians: descendants of former criminals living in a harsh, unhospitable land that are also quite badass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Orcs were originally Mongolian themed:

That human looks far more Mongolian than the orc does.